Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pirate_girl

some Recent Hoya pix (Ceropegia too)

pirate_girl
12 years ago

Hi folks,

Well, I've been having trouble w/ the home computer, let's see if I can get some Photobucket pix loaded here.

This is my Hydro Hoya kerrii variegate, I got it 3 yrs. ago. Look at this one branch reverting, I think maybe I just hack it off, it's just that this plant is a slow grower .....

Another shot:

Let's see here ... if it were yours you'd hack it off right?

Here's a little spot of new growth which I hope would take off from under the reverting branch if I cut it.

Here's something you don't see every day, Ceropegia woodii, but the variegate, also a SLOW grower.

The results of a recent swap & a generous Hoya poster here:

A quartet of Lacunosas & Linearis

Comments (10)

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here's H. diversifolia, settling in against its support. I believe this is about a year old now, courtesy of Denise (thanks again). I often use those small clay pots to anchor a cutting into place while it sets some roots.

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

And a little lovely, but not a Hoya. It's a piece I pruned from another plant & this tiny sprig was 2" tall when it bloomed. I was just amazed;

Euphorbia milii x moratii, the bloom is a lovely mauve, salmon, depending.

{{gwi:660571}}

• cpawl
    12 years ago

Thanks for sharing your photos with us.I am not sure if I would cut the all green from your kerrii but I will see what others will say as I am having trouble with one of my hoyas.
    I love your Ceropegia woodii,I have the plain green one its been in flower for the past couple of months.

Cindy

• RainforestGuy
    12 years ago

All your plants are in need of MORE LIGHT! This may help grow faster and all the problems may just disappear if given that option.
    Ceropegia woodii is a weed, should be growing like crazy. Flowers all the time and grows new growths constantly.

• mairzy_dotes
    12 years ago

Yes, I would not cut off the new leaves that the kerrii grew. It takes it so long to make any at all. Ha. I think it just needs more light. My reverse one has less variegation if I grow it in the shade. When I give it more light, it makes leaves with LOTS of variegation. However, you don't want to put them in full sun either as I have burned them that way.
    Thanks for sharing the pics. Looks like you have a bunch of new babies to watch this fall too.

• gennykins
    12 years ago

I would cut them off. I have found that the solid green leaves on a variegated plant tend to be much stronger growers and if you let them go, you may eventually have a plant with many more green than variegated leaves.

Lisa

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Great growing PG!! They're all doing great...I especially love the cute little Euphorbia milii x moratii, I'm not familiar with that one but it sure is cute! Thanks for sharing!

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here's another shot of the H kerri varieg w/ its reverting branch.

Here's a normal looking branch for contrast

And here's these odd, bumpy nodes this particular var. Kerrii gets, not a nice feature on this plant.

Here's a reverse varieg. Kerri that's the slowest plant I've ever owned. The variegation is pretty subtle

Here's a new leaf it recently produced after what feels like an eternity - super pale too

another shot

a Ceropegia woodii which grows nearby

{{gwi:476399}}

{{gwi:476397}}

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

I think you may as well let the green growth on the Hoya kerrii develop until it is big enough to root a cutting from. You may as well get another plant out of it because it you cut it back right now you may not see new growth right away because of the time of year.
    My Hoya kerrii is growing well right now and developing new leaves but I am sure that's a response to finally being repotted and getting a little more attention than it got in the past. The gloominess of fall is here and I get my plant by with artificial light but I am not sure if you do the same?

I think once those new leaves harden up you should be good to cut the green growth but only if you can root it in the winter, otherwise I would let it grow and cut in the spring.

Mike

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago

Nice work, Karen!
    I love projects and progress pics! Those Ceropegia leaves have great shape. I'm really enjoying the Ceropegia you sent, too.

Josh

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville