Return to the Hoya Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
H. australis ssp Rupicola - other growing methods?

Posted by Asterope none (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 10, 12 at 18:50

Hi all,

I have a healthy H. australis Rupicola, doing well in a pot - I know this one is a runner that likes to live amongst rocks in the dry northern parts of Australia.

Its not that big, but it is already quite heavy and often tips the pot over - wondering if anyone has tried growing this one as a 'runner' and how you did it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: H. australis ssp Rupicola - other growing methods?

I would think the best approach would be to us a wide but shallow pot. A big clay Azalea pot would work well.

Mike

o
RE: H. australis ssp Rupicola - other growing methods?

"...in the dry northern parts of Australia."

Don't make the mistake of thinking we're "dry" as in "arid". We get more rain than Brisbane but it comes during half of the year. During that time, the wet season, you can find ssp. rupocola growing with water streaming amongst the roots for months at a time. Come the dry season and it does become dry.

I have some in a large hanging pot filled mostly with sand. But most of mine are in a rockery where they get sun most of the day. The runners are just pinned down with a rock so they send roots down and keep going. The ones in the hanging pot haven't got long enough to be a problem yet. But I've seen them hanging 5 to 6 metres down cliff faces. They like it tough, but never cold wet.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hoya Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here