Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moonwolf_gw

Cooler Temps Are Here!

moonwolf_gw
12 years ago

Hi everyone,

What a year it has been! Most of my plants are back inside (nights have been cold-40's or 50's and one night it got down to 38) and they're doing fine. Anyone haul their plants back in yet?

Like I said, it's been quite a year so far. Life's been pretty busy lately. I'm expecting one more plant and that's my kerrii (Minako AKA Venus). I *believe* that one of my fungii (aka Tootsie) peduncles is budding up so I'm pretty happy about that :). The lacunosa cuttings in the forsythe pot are still rooting (no signs of roots yet).

A little note of humor: No, I haven't named all my new cuttings yet. I'm still working on that but they will get names in time. Remember the ones I have in the baskets? Well I hung the nummularoides and Ruby Sue cuttings up on two of my plant hangers. I'll try to get pictures of them if I can hanging up.

How's everyone and their plants doing? Mine are doing okay for the moment. I hope you all and your plants are doing well!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Comments (8)

• marco
    12 years ago

Hey Brad, I hope that the lacunosa cuttings root for you soon and that Tootsie will bloom for you ! I have 2 blooms on my carnosa about 3 days from opening. Unlike you, we here in Florida are still in mid-summer, 90's are our average temps until sometime in October, so I am green with envy about your temps. Although I am sorry that this causes problems for you who summer their plants outside.

And I was going to give you one more week before I started bugging you for there names ! Pics will do for now, though. : )

poseidon

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi poseidon,

Congrats on your carnosa blooms! Well, I'm gonna send you some of our cool temps your way! There's no danger of any f-r-o-s-t yet so I'm glad about that (I have seeds I have to save from my flowers in the garden).

lol Well I have some names jotted down, but I don't know which plants to assign them to (not just hoyas either). I have mistletoe, rick rack, seaweed, Thanksgiving and Christmas cacti, a spider plant jades and other succulents to name. Here are some for you:

Aja
    Shana
    Kimber
    Raya
    Riff Raff (thinking of giving this one to the spider plant)
    Rose
    Blanche
    Dorothy
    Sophia

Now my best friend has gotten me to watch Scrubs, so now I'm thinking of naming some of my plants after some of those characters.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• Ament
    12 years ago

Hey Brad,
    Sounds like everyone is doing well there. That's very good. :) I'm so glad to hear you've gotten them all safely inside away from the frost. We've had one day of frost. But I'm not lugging everything in and out, in and back out again, only to do it over and over until it snows. Just not worth the headaches! :D Far too many dang pots to do that! And I just don't want to trip over a Dane and Heeler while doing it either. :P

I bought yet another hoya. It's tag said bilobata/tsangii, of course it's an EA. So I knew it was most likely tagged wrong. However, I -knew- without a doubt it was one I didn't have just by looking at it. So, 12 bucks later, a big hanging pot of DS-70 now hangs in a southern window. :P

I'll be gone for a week but I know none will need much care while I'm gone. I have a humidifier in the room where most of the plants are. :) And may have more hoyas to boot when I come back!

~Tina

• gennykins
    12 years ago

Brad,

We had one night of frost - seems so soon - but luckily, I had hauled most everything inside already but for an epiphyllum and spider plant. They managed to escape unscathed although I forgot to cover my basil and lost it.

Tina, have a wonderful time, relish the heat, and happy hoya hunting!

Lisa

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

We are still a few degrees above frost but I have lugged all my plants back inside.
    Some of my African bulbs go out each day as they need to be slowly forced into dormancy, some are maturing seeds so they need all the light they can get.
    The more tropical plants are all back inside and I am busy trying to organize the Stapeliads and make sure they don't have any bugs before putting them near the other plants.

Why is it that I buy more plants each year so that when it comes time to bring everything in there is nowhere to put the old ones? I guess it's a bit of out with the old and in with the new.

Mike

• theplanthoarder
    12 years ago

I have brought in most of them except for carnosa and Serpens. Hoya Serpens absolutely loves the cold temps, she has tiny little leaves growing like crazy.

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Tina, congrats on getting another hoya! We have had no dangers of frost yet but very cool temps are encroaching upon us and it sounds like you and Lisa had the worst of it! Have a fun time! Hopefully you'll find some more hoyas!

Lisa, sorry to hear about the basil. Glad to hear the epi and spider plant survived too. A few plants I have outside under the little porch are still alive. Then again, most of them are ones that like the cold.

Mike, I too, am facing that problem. What gardener doesn't? LOL

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• Ament
    12 years ago

Thanks Lisa & Brad, I will try to enjoy the warmth, if I don't get drug all over hill & dale by family. LoL I'll take pictures too, of whatever catches my eyes. ;) Chat with you all when I get back!

~Tina

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County
More Discussions