Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karyn1_gw

Hoya lauterbachii

karyn1
11 years ago

Is this a slow growing hoya? I was sent a rooted cutting 2 or 3 months ago. It looks healthy but has only put out 4 new pair of leaves, maybe 6" of total growth. I hadn't even looked this variety up until today and after seeing pics I'm really looking forward to it blooming.

Comments (12)

• karyn1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

After reading thru more posts I still haven't found if it's a slow grower but I'm guessing I might not have much of a chance getting those big beautiful blooms : ( I might have been better off not looking it up.

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

I'm looking for one too. Managed to get a small archibaldiana not long back, and my macgillivrayi has already flowered. So I want a lauterbachii in there as well.

• mdahms1979
    11 years ago

Four new pairs of leaves in two or three months is a pretty good rate of growth. When the plant gets a little larger it will take off and grow much faster. This plant wants a lot of light and it can be difficult at times. It is a good idea to add dolomitic lime to the potting mix. I had trouble with my plant during the change of seasons and although it was quite large I lost if after a couple years.
    Of the people who have bloomed this plant I think the consensus is that it needs to be large. From what I have read the plant likes to grow up and then cascade down, this is when it likes to bloom. I am not aware of anyone who has bloomed this plant indoors.

Mike

• karyn1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hope it grows well but I have a feeling it will eventually find a new home down south.

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

Finally got a H. lauterbachii today. Went into one of the large department stores and there it was. Large rooted cutting in a small pot. Two thirds of it has 9 large leaves, the other third is bare to the growing tip.

• Asterope
    11 years ago

I bought two of these last week, came in the mail yesterday, looking lovely and healthy and furry... I hope these dont go the way of my other furry ones!

• karyn1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Do you think this hoya would do well in zone 10a/b, West Palm, FL., or might it still get too cold to grow it outside year round?

• Asterope
    11 years ago

Hi Karyn,

Where I live in Australia is between zone 10b/11a, its spring, the days are warm but I still have all my warm weather hoyas inside (the ones that survived being left out too long during a wet and coldish winter)

I dont think lauterbachii does too well outside if you have minimum temperatures below 15C/59F for any length of time.

• mitzicos
    11 years ago

My hoya lauterbachii is a very slow grower! I live in a tropical country, very hot and humid, the winter is mild, mine is kept inside because I live in an apartment!

In two years I only had 4 new leaves!

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

I'm in a zone 12b/13a, although the past 2 record cold winters may have brought it down to a certain 12b (or even 12a). But I plan to plant my H lauterbachii in a shady spot where it can grow out into the sun or stay in the shade as it chooses. Although it's still early spring our temps have been 36C to 37+C for the past month. Today was 39C, which I expect would fry the Hoya out in the sun.

• karyn1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I moved mine to the greenhouse last week. Summer's over and nighttime temps are averaging in the 50's with days 75-80. I like it but the lauterbachii doesn't. I'm more convinced then ever that this plant will be relocating to So. FL in the near future.

• trini1trini
    11 years ago

I have this plant outdoors in zone 10a. It grows quickly in the summer. In the winter at around 45 degrees. I give it protection as I lose some of the leaves. A friend has his in the ground in zone 10b up a tree and it does fine.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler