Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aurorawa

SRQ order came!

aurorawa
9 years ago

I ordered a bundle of 12 and got:

h. curtisii (worried about rooting this one, heard it is difficult)
h. heuschkeliana ssp. heuschkeliana
h. lacuonsa 'Thai Clone'
h. leytensis
h. 'Minibelle'
h. nummularioides
h. obscura 'White'
h. pallilimba
h, panchoi
h. pauciflora (another one that I heard is difficult to root)
h. pubicalyx 'Bright One'
h. sipitangensis

This post was edited by AuroraWA on Wed, Sep 3, 14 at 1:43

Comments (5)

• greentoe357
    9 years ago

My googled-up notes also say curtisii and pauciflora may be hard to root (we may be fishing in the same pond for those comments) - but I have to tell you, apparently neither my curtisii nor pauciflora seem to have gotten the memo.

Curtisii did root slowly for me (in the fall, so perhaps not too surprising), and does grow slowly now, but at no time did it give me even a hint that it did not like something about my care. I do keep it moist at all times, or at least I try.

Pauciflora sat there for a little bit, but less than a month after planting it was putting out new leaves. Not super-fast, but acceptable growth rate so far in my book. And also no signs of trouble yet.

By the way, you asked about which to mount, and curtisii would be very good for that, I think - but I already said it in that thread. I would also research sipitangensis for mounting - those adorable little leaves and not too long internodes would look good that way, I think. No matter how you grow it, play with the amount of light you give your sipitangensis once it's established - you'll love the leaf color that pops out with relatively bright light. Others do not particularly jump at me as mounting material, but they are all epiphytes, so any can be mounted if there is a will, an ability to water often and a half-decently-humid environment. DID you mount any of them?

Congrats on the purchase, and best wishes growing them!

• aurorawa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I haven't mounted any of them yet, as I am unsure if I should get roots going in medium first or just plop them onto the mount (not literally). I think panchoi might work as well. Joni gave me a very generous cutting of sipitangensis, so I have made 3 cuttings out of the one, 2 are 3 nodes, one is 4. Plenty to play around with. According to SRQ, hoya leytensis grows almost as a groundcover succulent, so it may also be appropriate for mounting. I am going to do a bit more research on mounting tonight. I have the cuttings S/H right now and will probably attempt mounting later on this week.
    As always, thanks greentoe, for your feedback! Very much appreciated!

• greentoe357
    9 years ago

> I am unsure if I should get roots going in medium first or just plop them onto the mount

It's the latter. Check this out for a very good visual mounting tutorial: http://www.apodagis.com/files/StemmaV1_2.pdf.

> Joni gave me a very generous cutting of sipitangensis, so I have made 3 cuttings out of the one

Perfect. You can both mount and pot this one - and have a backup in case one method does not work out. This is where I would probably start if I were you, rather than risk the only cutting I have.

> hoya leytensis grows almost as a groundcover succulent, so it may also be appropriate for mounting.

It may well be ground cover, but that alone does not make it a very good mounting candidate to me. Its internodes are a bit too long, so it will likely grow outside of the mount's bounds pretty quickly. Other things necessary for a good mounting candidate species, for me, are orderly look to the leaves (it just looks more aesthetically pleasing on a mount), small leaves (but hey, not if you get a large mount, it's just easier to start with a small item), and humidity tolerance needs to be looked at depending on what your environment can realistically offer.

• rennfl
    9 years ago

Of the ones listed, I would choose either the pallilimba or the sipi to mount. Pallilimba because it is easily contained, seems to not need a guide to vine on, and freely puts out nice sized roots along the stem, which is what you want when mounting. And yes, you can just plop it on the mount. That is all I have ever done. You may want to place a pad of spag or sheet moss (rinsed well) down first to retain some moistness.

When choosing a plant to mount, another consideration is it's watering needs. If the plant prefers to remain moist, it might not be a good candidate for mounting, unless you are able to keep it moist. (Or live in a rainforest :) )

I know I've posted before on this forum some pictures of mounted Hoyas. You may be able to find them if you search.

Good luck with what you choose to do.

Renee

• aurorawa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you both!

Sponsored
Cumberland Custom Homes
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
Northern Virginia's Green Residential Builder & Renovator