Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sharontsms

Hoyas from Logee's

sharontsms
9 years ago

Today my very first order from Logee's arrived: 8 hoya plants!
Back Row left to right:
H. kerrii "Heart leafed"
H. affinis "Red Wax"
H. odorata "Fragrant Wax"
H. lauterbachii "Giant Wax"

Front Row left to right:
H. retusa "Grass Leafed"
H. lacunosa "Cinnamon Scented" (rusty leaves)
H. curtisii "Porcelain Flower"
H. danumensis "White Bells" (broken stem)

All but 2 are very healthy. H. danumensis arrived with a broken stem, leaving only 3 leaves left. H.lacunosa had "rusty" looking leaves on one stem. It was refreshing when I called Logee's to report the damaged plants to have someone pick up the phone after only 2 rings and was assured that both plants will be replaced if they don't recover quickly. Several plants that I wanted are unavailable, and I can't wait for them to become available so I can order them.

I recently learned that my Walmart will no longer be stocking houseplants, so my trusted hoya source will be gone in my Oregon town. Other than Logee's, do any of you on this forum have favorite places to buy hoyas, either online or garden centers? And, also, I would like to hear about your experiences with Logee's. Thanks a bunch. Sharon

Comments (7)

• aurorawa
    9 years ago

Not bad looking at all! Try to root that broken stem on that danumensis...just cut it at the break and plop it in next to the rooted plant. 2 for the price of one, if it roots!

I buy almost all of my hoyas from Joni at SRQ hoyas.They are sold as cuttings unless you pay the $3.00 to have her root them for you. I have picked up a couple of hoyas off ebay from cowboyflowerman (rooted cuttings of reasonable price, but shipping can get a bit pricey) and ricinfl (EXCELLENT cuttings, not rooted, pay only shipping for first cutting, rest are free if bought together). All of the mentioned ship very well packaged plants, expedited (priority 2 day). Hope this helps!

• aurorawa
    9 years ago

Can you take an up-close of your lacunosa? Sometimes the leaves do look rusty, but this can be normal OR not! Can't see them well enough in your photo to tell!

A side note, since I didn't answer about Logee's...I don't buy from them because the size of their plants get smaller and smaller, yet the price does not change and shipping is high!

• Jimmy
    9 years ago

Hi...Logee's plants are not bad,but I have gotten better plants from this vendor in Florida.Check out her Ebay auctions as well! Jimmy http://www.rareflora.com/index.html

• sharontsms
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Aurura: Here is a close-up of the lacunosa that I emailed to Logee's. The reason I didn't think it was normal is because the leaves on the 2nd stem were not rusty.

Thanks everyone for your input. I agree that some of the plants I received were very small, especially the danumensis with 5 leaves and a partially broken stem, leaving only 3 leaves intact, and for $20 not acceptable. Shipping for all 8 plants was $22. I will be checking out the other hoya venders that were recommended.

P.S. Considering the size, I will never again complain about paying $15 for an Exotic Angel hoya and will continue looking for them elsewhere.

• aurorawa
    9 years ago

Those rust spots look like sunburn or heat damage. Hoyas will produce red splotches and spots as a protective mechanism (kind of like a suntan on us humans) against the sun. Now, I can't 100% sure say that is what it is, so keep a good eye out on those leaves and if they go mushy or get worse, it won't hurt to remove them.

• moonwolf_gw
    9 years ago

For physical locations for Hoyas, I like going to Lowe's or Home Depot (I prefer Lowe's for houseplants). I did find a nursery once in a neighboring county that sold variegated carnosa (Krimson Queen/Variegata) plants.

For online sources, I like Joni/SRQ Hoyas, Gardino Nursery, Almost Eden Plants (they have some of the more common ones-their purpeo-fusca is actually pub. Pink Silver), and of course, GW for cutting trades.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• greedygh0st
    9 years ago

Hoya danumensis is so hard to get your hands on that I don't think you paid too much either in shipping charges or for that size plant, even with the damage. For plants like that, you're talking $20+ for a shot at a plant that survives, and not worrying about its starter size.

I find this plant grows and blooms much better in semi-hydro than it does in traditional mediums, so maybe if you have some around, you can root the broken stem in that. You could also use superglue and a splint to keep the stem attached. Although it creeps me out, I have used this method with success in the past, and it also works on humans in emergency situations.

Regardless, danumensis and the other campanulate Hoyas grow fast, so don't worry too much about the top section even if you aren't able to save it. Some damage in transit is just the cost of doing business when it comes to rare plants.

I agree that there's nothing at all wrong with your lacunosa. If you looked at lacunosa's close relative parviflora, you'd see an even more pronounced tendency to produce such marks. These rusty patches or black speckling (like they've been near a spraypaint project) on the underside of leaves is common to many Hoyas, and not even necessarily associated with sun stress. If I took a random sampling of pictures of my many lacunosas you'd see the same thing - some with splotches, some without, on the same plant. I don't know why, but it's not a health problem.

I've never purchased from Logees, so I can't comment. I do almost all my purchasing from either SRQ or Epiphytica these days. They are just the vendors that work best for me. And private traders and vendors are also a good way to go, although you have to keep your ear to the ground to know who they are.

I do recommend purchasing cuttings over established plants, because it takes Hoyas so long to recalibrate to new growing conditions that a strong cutting will catch up to an established plant within 6m to a year, and you waste fewer resources.