Return to the Hoya Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I'm pumped!!

Posted by denise 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 1, 10 at 20:51

My mother was over for lunch Monday, and I was showing off a few of my Hoyas. I was showing her my GIANT leaf on my macrophylla that I grow in my sunroom, south window that only gets some sun in the winter months. There was a wayward vine that swung around as I pulled the giant leaf for her to see and... guess what? There are about 4 leafless nodes with peduncles on them!!!! I've been growing this one for probably 10 years without a hint of buds, so I just about hyperventilated when I saw them...

And as if that' isn't excting enough, apparently this multiple peduncle thing is typical of this species. My variegated mac produced a node of multiple peduncles pretty early on and I thought it was a fluke. But I'm seeing at least two per node, and they're only now devloping - two of the nodes look like they're pushing out at least 3 or 4 others!!

I'll post a pic when they bloom.

Denise in Omaha

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I'm pumped!!

Denise! That is FANTASTIC!!! I can't wait to see pics. :)

Congrats,

Carolyn

o

Denise,

I'm excited and happy for you...and if you ever want to part with a cutting, let me know...

lisa

o

Congrats, Denise!

Keep us updated on the new peduncles and if they bloom!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

o

Denise I can just imagine how excited you must have been with such a surprise. It sounds like your plant is making up for not blooming all those years.

Mike

o

Looking forward to the photos!

o

Thanks to all... I can't help but check them daily (you all know what I mean!) Like a watched pot, they will probably take forever to bloom. But I'm just excited that it's in that mode, finally!

Denise in Omaha

o

Is this your regular mac? I love that plant, it's so pretty.

o

Hi Quinn,

Yes, my "Big Mac" with the solid green leaves that vary in size so much. I guess what I learned from this is that mac, like kerrii, will produce long leafless vines from which peduncles form. I usually try to keep my mac neat and trimmed, but this leafless vine was hiding behind a plant that was hanging in front of it and I didn't see it until I swung that huge leaf around to show it off. In the future, I'll leave those on, at least until it blooms!

Denise in Omaha

o

Your mac has a fan : ) I love that plant.

My kerrii definitely has a long, over two ft, leafless vine going right now. But straight up. I don't know where I got the notion that this was a hanging plant, because that is definitely not hanging. And I can't bend it to train it at all. I have no idea what to do with it; I think it wants to punch through my ceiling. On the plus side, I definitely see peduncle nubs.

o

And if you mother is like mine -- ie not really into plants at all -- I can just picture her tolerant "mom" face as she says "oh that's very nice dear"

LOL

o

Quinn, yes kerrii is a wayward child, stiff vines that can't be trained and so annoying at times. I keep it on a top shelf in my GH where it takes up more space than I should allow any one given plant, but I can't help but keep it...Fortunately, other kerrii cultivars tend to be more compact.

Paul, my mom does have plants, but isn't a plant nut like me. She wasn't exactly yawning, but I could tell her excitement level was far less than mine. But I suppose it's somewhat like the differnce between your toddler finally using the potty for the first time - ho-hum to everybody but mommy!

Denise in Omaha

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hoya Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here