Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dmichael619

September Blooms!!!

dmichael619
13 years ago

For now the hoyas are still going strong but it won't be long before the cool nights slow them down!!! many are still in bloom and many more are still to bloom,some for the first time!!!

Here's a sampling of some things that are open today!!

H. erythrostemma

H. flavida

H. mindorensis

H. kayakumariana

H. camphorifolia

H. ischnopus

H. aff. mindorensis

H.. multiflora--javanica. I guess now would be a good time for me to refer back to Mike D's link for comparison!!

H. erythrina "Bajo" rapidly becoming one of my favorite hoyas!!

H. vitellinoiodes (according to Asiatica Nursery)

H. bicknellii

H. sp. Bangkok #4

Comments (38)

• PRO
    Jan Sword-Rossman Realty 239-470-6061
    13 years ago

Gorgeious blooms!!! I have a few buds/blooming now are
    Var macrophilla, compacta, pachyclada(all year long), ds-70. BNN. I'll get some photos this weekend.
    I love them all but especially H. erythrina "Bajo" because I don't have it. lol

Jan

• dmichael619
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Jan my varieggated macrophylla has yet to bloom this year and it's usually one of the earlier ones to do so. I may not have it in too much shade. Same goes for my pachy. It's bloomed a few times this year already but seems to take long breaks in between each new set.

That erythrina "Bajo" is a very nice hoya it grows fast,yet not so fast that it'll take over anything. It's also an early and very reliable bloomer. I mentioned on another thread a month or so ago about this one blooming so young when i've only had it for such a short time and my other clone of erythrina hasn't bloomed yet and i've had it for several years. Well this week I finally found a peduncle on it,the very first one!!!

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Wow David!! Those are all just GORGEOUS!! Of course I love them all...but that erythrina 'Bajo' is very pretty...quite impressive.

Does the Erythrina(regular) have the same color blooms as the erythrina 'bajo'?

Thanks for all the pictures...it gives me something to hope for with a lot of my small hoyas,lol...

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

David I absolutely love that Hoya erythrina Bajo! The Hoya ischnopsus is also very nice, love the yellow blooms.

Is your aff mindorensis the species that is also sold as mindorensis yellow?

Mike

• rennfl
    13 years ago

Wow they are all gorgeous, the mindorensis was already on my wishlist, and I think it's moving to the top.

• dmichael619
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Pug, I believe the flowers on the second erythrina are a bit more gold in color. I have never seen my plant bloom before and am only going by what i've seen online of other peoples plant in bloom. Hopefully mine will form buds and bloom before it cools off too much here.

Living in FL. do you grow your hoyas outside??? If so they should be growing like crazy and blooming for you!!! I don't imagine that our growing conditions are that different . For at least 5 months of the year here it's dreadfully HOT and HUMID but the hoyas love it!!! I have them all outside growing under a small cluster of wild persimmon trees which the shade house is built under and around and they thrive there. The trees are actually open enough to allow just the right amount of light to filter through,they get plenty of rain water and when it's not raining I water them all with fresh well water. When I have to move them back into the gh for the winter is when they begin to sulk a bit.

Mike I got the H. aff. mindorensis from Antone at Dischidia.com. According to what I was told this plant can bloom different color flowers from different peduncles all on the same plant. I've seen pictures of his stock plant with umbels of different colored flowers open all at once. Time will tell if my plant does the same thing as this is the only peduncle to have actually bloomed so far. The plant is forming some new ones so i'll soon know!!!

The flowers on this particular hoya are also smaller than those on the red mindorensis.

rennfl, mindorensis is an easy hoya to grow and it blooms early and often. Everyone should have it in their collection!!! It's not the fastest horse in the race when it comes to how fast it grows but nor is it the slowest either,sort of somewhere in the middle!! It's easy to maintain as it doesn't try to take over everything in it's path like some hoyas can do!! I think once you get it and see it bloom you'll be very happy that you added it to your plant collection!!

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Thanks David, I do grow some of my Hoyas outside...but only the larger ones or hanging ones that I can't find room either in my FL room or entryway...Unfortunately I don't have a lot of "shady" spots in the yard to grow more of them outside...I'm waiting for my Mango trees to get bigger,lol...Most of my hoyas are still small...recently acquired cuttings and/or small plants, though some are growing and have bloomed...many are still too young or not ready. You're right...we have had similar climate the last few months...except our summer lasts a little longer than yours and thank goodness our winter is not quite as cold as yours either :o)

Seeing your plants gives me a lot of inspiration and hope of good things to come!

Seems like your erythrina 'Bajo' is a favorite with everyone...we have good taste!

• dmichael619
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I just went back and glanced at the link that MikeD posted comparing multiflora and javanica and it would appear that what I have is hoya javanica and not multiflora. Looks like in the market for a new hoya now!!!!

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

David I went on the hunt for that aff mindorensis soon after Antone's plant flowered, finally found it in Thailand and have been growing it for a little more than a year I think.

If your looking for Hoya multiflora check out Apodagis, there is a really neat aff multiflora with a flattened stem. One of the forum members Xuan had that same plant and I was convinced it was Hoya platycaulis but when it bloomed it had flowers just like multiflora, really neat plant.

Mike

• geosdee
    13 years ago

Mike/David - here is a picture of mindorensis 'yellow' that I received from Thailand last year. I really like the yellow with pink dot in the center.

Really like your aff mindorensis David.

Dee

• geosdee
    13 years ago

I received this a variegated multiflora. I am really not good at comparing pictures, so can you tell me if you think it is multiflora or javanica - Mike/David?

Thanks,
    Dee

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

Dee your Hoya mindorensis yellow is gorgeous, did you start yours from a cutting? Thinking back I must have actually had mine for at least 2 years, still not big enough to bloom.

Your plant looks like Hoya javanica. The corona (central part of the flower) has inward curved scales on the lower portion vs your plant which has outward pointing coronal scales. To differentiate Hoya javanica from Crytoceras floribundum you need to look at the unopened buds which are larger in that species (Crytoceras) and for the absence of or at least less hairs where the corona meets the corolla.

Mike

• PRO
    13 years ago

Dee, great photos! mine is from Antone.

• wrynsmom
    13 years ago

Okay, now I'm really thinking I need some new mindorensis! hahaha Beautiful pictures, everyone!

Carolyn

• mel_10
    13 years ago

Beautiful pictures! I have a carnosa with one peduncle that I am very impatiently waiting for to bloom. I absolutely love H. mindorensis! Reminds me of fireworks. Think I'm going to have to try to convince my husband to let me get one.

• geosdee
    13 years ago

Mike, thanks for the explanation on javanica, grrr not what I was hoping for. the leaves are pretty though.

The mindorensis was a cutting I received from Thailand last fall. It grew rather slowly at first but this spring it took off and it now has 2 peduncles which one bloomed.

Jan I love the color of yours. I also have one that is supposed to be dark red, it now has a peduncle so hopefully it will bloom soon.

Dee

• haxuan
    13 years ago

All beautiful blooms, Dave. Thanks for sharing.

As Mike mentioned my "so-believed" H. multiflora, here're a few photos for your reference.

Xuan

• dmichael619
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Xuan, that's an awesome plant and I really love your pictures!!!

I've got a few more in bloom that i'd like to share.

This first one came to me from Ann Wayman as H. wibergiae. It's a very cool hoya with a lot of big silvery/white splotches on the leaves. Sorry I didn't get a pic of the foliage! This is a very fast growing hoya once it takes hold and thus far has proven to be an early and reliable bloomer.

This is a hoya that I got out of Sweden last year as a small cutting. It rooted quickly and has been a fast grower as well as an early bloomer. I keep hand written records of what I have in my collection,from whom I got it and when. This hoya arrived at my house on June 27th of last year (09') so it's 1 year and not quite 3 months old. It's gone from being a 2 node cutting into a plant that is several feet in length now and is blooming for the first time. I Love the flowers,that deep purple corona just sets it off!!! The foliage is very much like that of hoyas bordenii,benguetensis,siariae and a few others that I have. I really don't know anything about it other than it came labeled as H. sp. Bulusan

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

VERY NICE David!! Gorgeous blooms! Love the long narrow leaves on the hoya from Sweden. If you get a chance...would love to see a picture of the leaves on H. wibergiae too, sounds very pretty...I might be getting a free cutting from a dear friend...do you know if Hoya wibergiae is the same as IML #1618 or are they two different hoyas? Thanks!

• patrick51
    13 years ago

David....nice blooms on both hoyas...but, I truly love, love, love the leaves on H. sp. Bulusan; absolutely incredible!! As always, thanks for sharing the pictures!!

• PRO
    13 years ago

David, great photos!

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

Beautiful Hoyas David! Your Hoya sp Bulusan looks just like a plant I got from Paul Shirley back in the fall of 2008 as Hoya sp Sabah, not sure if the tag is right on it though. My plant has yet to bloom but it has become fairly large. The purple on the corona of your plants blooms really does makes them stand out. Have you noticed any fragrance?

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Hoya sp Philippines

• dmichael619
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Pug, this is what the leaves on my H. wibergiae look like.

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

David, Thanks so much for the pictures...those are very pretty leaves, I just love those types of leaves with the splotches/speckles on them, very attractive!

Jan, very cool collage! Nice blooms...congrats!

• geosdee
    13 years ago

I have one just like David's (thanks David) and one with the pink splotches which I love.

Dee

• dmichael619
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hoya vitiensis has bloomed before but is just now starting to flower for the 2010 season. Sorry these are not the best pics but I find it very hard to get a really good clear picture of this one for some reason!!

This is H. comminsii and if i'm not mistaken I believe this is the first time it has ever bloomed for me
    without flash

with flash

these next 4 are H. sp Sarawak GPS 10073 blooming again. This is a blooming little hoya plant!!! The foliage leaves a bit to be desired but the flowers really stand out!!!

• wrynsmom
    13 years ago

I LOVE sp. Sarawak 10073! That is one of my favorite flowers! All are lovely, though.

Carolyn

• quinnfyre
    13 years ago

Oooh, vitiensis! I'm excited to see that for myself, when mine blooms. Did it take long to bloom for you?

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

The last Hoya vitiensis photo came out very well, what a different coloured flower on that species, just beautiful.
    The only photo I have seen of the Sp Sarawak had been the little thumbnail one on Mr. Shirley's web site, it's nice to get a good look at the leaves and flowers.

Mike

• kellyknits
    13 years ago

LOVE vitiensis!

• dmichael619
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Quinn, it doesn't take vitiensis long to bloom or at least it didn't for me. It's a very fast growing hoya also.
    I have a second clone which is supposed to be the "Fiji" yellow one. I have not yet seen it bloom to verify that it actually is yellow but my plant does have it's first peduncle on it.

I've got my plant in a somewhat shaded area this year and it hasn't bloomed so well. usually it is full of flowers,having many clusters open all at one time but so far this is the only one to bloom this year.

Mike I love that mauve /gray color of the vitiensis flowers and it's even prettier in person than in photos. I don't like the scent of it though. It has that cheap chocolate smell like the carnosas do.

Kelly vitiensis is one of my favorite hoyas and was one that I bought early on while trying to build my collection and it was bought based entirely upon flower color!!!

Mike I bought the GPS 10073 directly from Mr. Shirley. That same thumbnail is the reason why I bought it!!! It's not a very eye catching hoya as far as the foliage goes but the flowers are very pretty,though they are a bit on the small side in comparison to how big the leaves are.

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Awesome David...I love them all but definitely partial to Sarawak and Comminsii...gorgeous blooms! Thanks for posting!

• PRO
    13 years ago

Great photos!!!

• dmichael619
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I think it's almost time to start the second half of this thread. The first part is getting quite long!!! I have a few more blooming for the first time this year. This first one is H. davidcummingii. I got this hoya on one of the very first orders to David Liddle that I ever participated in. It rooted quickly and grew very (6" basket ,plant was over 3ft long) well then went into a major decline and i'm not sure why. Over the years I have had to restart it a number of times. Each time it would root well,grow well for a while then start going downhill. Finally last year I decided I would try growing it in a pot full of straight hydroton and so far so good!!! As long as it continues to grow like it's currently doing i'll keep it in my collection. But if it starts to decline again I won't give it another chance!!

This is a first time bloomer and it's not quite a year old now. I still have the original D.L. invoice from October of last year when I received it.It's H. Estrella Waterfall IML 1256. The description in the Liddle's catalog describes the flower color as being yellow. As you can see from the pictures it has bloomed a very nice deep shade of apple green for me. I think I may have found a new favorite flower to add to my top 10 list of favorite hoya flowers!!! The flowers have a scent similar to those of finlaysonii and incrassata, a little sweet and spicy!!!

• wrynsmom
    13 years ago

Yep . . . I'm lovin' the waterfall!!!! It's on my wishlist, now!

Carolyn

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

I love H. estrella waterfall too...Estrella was my Mom's name! Will have to put that one on my wishlist too...in memory of her. Just gorgeous!

David, wow...she flowered for you so soon! Congrats!

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

I just love the colour of Hoya sp. Estarell waterfalls flowers so I am glad you mentioned the IML number, maybe there is still time to add it to my Liddle order. I had no idea where to find this one up until this post. :)
    Thanks for posting these photos David, beautiful as always.

Mike

• hills
    13 years ago

Oooh, you guys have got me all excited! I bought the mindorensis yellow (also the red version) earlier this year and they are growing well at the moment. Really hoping they'll get through the winter and maybe... just maybe I'll see blooms sometime. Love the "bajo" as well, might have to add that one to my list :)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH
More Discussions