stevenwayne_gw

is hoya crassepes the same pland as diversofia

stevenwayne
12 years ago

I've need trying to find out . No info

Comments (7)

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

Your spelling is off, should be Hoya crassipes. I attached the publication details but the original publication was done in a Botanical Bulletin in Moscow so finding a digitized copy will be difficult.

The place of origin is listed as the island of Java which is considered part Indonesia.

Hoya diversifolia does not appear to have any other species names that are considered synonyms so that leads me to believe that Hoya crassipes and diversofolia are both considered independent from each other. One webpage did come up with the name Hoya diversifolia aff. crassipes. The abbreviation aff. stands for affinis which in Botany means related to so if that site is in fact correct then Hoya diversifolia and Hoya crassipes are closely related species.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Publication details for Hoya crassipes

• RainforestGuy
    12 years ago

But one must know that the hoya we call "diversifolia" is NOT diversifolia. Thus affinis to "diversifolia" (imposter) is very deceiving. The diversifolia B is very NOT diversifolia A as one has palmately veined leaves and the other has a distinct cusp along the underside edge of the leaf.
    More confusion in an already confused hoya name game.

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

The names Hoya diversifolia A and diversifolia B seem to be used infrequently now. The plant we are used to calling Hoya diversifolia is this plant.

Then comes what I have come to believe should be written Hoya diversifolia subsp. el-nidicus and Hoya excavata.
    Of course Hoya el-nidicus was reduced from species status and made a subspecies of diversifolia by Mr. Kloppenburg in 1991. The new name looks pretty interesting when written out in proper form.
    H. diversifolia Blume ssp. el-nidicus Kloppenburg

Mike

• RainforestGuy
    12 years ago

I see the name has changed once again. Interesting. Hoya diversifolia was once like a palmately veined leaf and can also be pinnate as well This is the designation for the name. The plant can be pinnate or sometimes produce an extra pair of marginal veins that produces the effect we see often as palmately veined leaves.

Neither of these plants are the true diversifolia.

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

I always assumed that the name diversifolia was to describe the varied leaf sizes that can develop on the plant I had linked to above. That plant does not have visible veins on its leaves.

Mike

• RainforestGuy
    12 years ago

The botanical press for H. diversifolia was a mystery. In those days, botanists would sometimes press two or more different species together on the same sheet and not properly identified them. CB had noted that a sheet had what appeared two plants of different species on the sheet and later noted that they were both of the same identical plant. One sported pinnately veined leaves and also actually cut from the same stem then folded upwards was a stem with palmately veined leaves.
    So the name suggests distinctly different types of leaves on the same plant. As for sizes of leaves in variations, many hoya species exhibit this character trait (Hoya carnosa, H. darwinii, H. mitrata, H. fraterna, et al ) but are not named and noted for that characteristic.

• mairzy_dotes
    12 years ago

The plant I have that I believe to be diversifolia came to me with a tag that said H. gonoloboides. However, later reading posts on the subject, I concluded that it should be tagged H. diversifolia. I did keep both tags with the info on them with the plant. I never really was sure what the plant was, and it has not bloomed in the 8 years I have had it to clarify anything. It has pretty leaves though, and grows like gangbusters when it's happy. Also is cold tollerent, so I kept it because I can leave it out on the olive tree and don't have to find room in the house for it. :-)

Sponsored