Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moonwolf_gw

Mother Nature's Smiling Down

moonwolf_gw
11 years ago

Hi everyone,

I was looking over my plants today, when, suprise, I found a newly forming peduncle on my lacunosa "Ruby Sue"! My fungii continues to grow like Audrey II, which, now that I think about it, seems like a better nickname for it, but I digress. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that "Ruby Sue" will (at least) try to bloom for me. When I had my regular lacunosa a few years ago, it did bloom for me in February, so we'll see :).

Oh, and all of my Hoyas and other house plants (save for my Thanksgiving Cacti and Christmas Cactus) are back inside. Anyone else have their plants moved back in yet?

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Comments (6)

• ohmybloomers
    11 years ago

Hi Brad - congrats on that peduncle! Fingers crossed indeed!

Here in eastern TN, I've moved everyone indoors now. Temps have dropped into the low 50s overnight, and next week there may be lows in the upper 30s! Yep, it's that time...

• scsva
    11 years ago

I am moving a bunch in every night after work. A cold front is supposed to come in this weekend so gotta get a move on it.

Susan

• dmichael619
    11 years ago

Congrats on the peduncles Brad.

I have already moved all of my hoyas back inside as well. Normally I wouldn't do this until mid to late October. We don't usually have frost during the month of October but every now and again we'll get an early during that last week of the month. I only moved them back in early because it rained every day of August and they were staying too wet.

david

• Denise
    11 years ago

I don't keep very many of my Hoyas outside, and the few that are out will stay out until they predict lows in the low 40's. Most seem to do fine at those temps as long as it warms during the day. Last night, we had our first decent rain in months. It never fails to amaze me how plants perk up and look amazing after a good rain. I'm starting to move stuff in slowly - I like to give each one a serious once-over to check for bugs, clean them up, etc. It's been such a weird year, though, I figure we could easily have an early frost. I noticed my first locusts "singing" back about mid-July, which is unusually early here. Farmers used to say you could count on the first frost 6 weeks after the locusts start singing. Thankfully, those old wives tales aren't always true!

Denise in Omaha

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you, everyone!

Luckily, there have been no chances of frost yet, but we've come close. Some nights have dipped down into the upper 30's here, so look out ohmybloomers! You're probably not that far behind. My TC and CC that are still outside are hanging and/or sitting underneath the roof of the little wooden porch and against the wall of the house, so far, they are doing great.

Denise, I have never heard the old wives tale about the locusts and the frost. So glad you guys are finally getting some rain! We had a mostly dry summer but not as bad as the Midwest.

This is OT, but I just had to mention that my Moonflower Vines started blooming last night. I was out there earlier tonight enjoying tonight's lone blossom (mom forgot to tell me I had one blossom last night too lol).

I hear you about the weather! It's been very wacky this year. I read a while back, they're calling for it to be a harsh w-i-n-t-e-r. I love snow, but not shoveling it!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Hey Brad...Good to see you:-)

I have had to haul many of my plants inside too. Then I feel bad for them when I see temps into the 70's by day, so back out they go.

I never expected any of mine to bloom until I decided to look them over a few days ago and see flowers starting on all of them. I guess they are happy campers. It sure was a delight to see that I could even get flowers on young cuttings too.

I saw the Farmers Almanac and it does not bode well for the North East this year. I guess the only good about that is it might kill all the bugs held over from last years winter such as Ticks and Mosquitos, and we might make up for the rain deficit and lack of insulation that killed a lot of my bushes.

Have a great night

Mike

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022
More Discussions