Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
postpunkgirl

Lacunosa? EA confusion at Wally World again ;)

postpunkgirl
12 years ago

I just picked up this specimen labelled Hoya lacunosa. Cultivar ID?

Thanks~

Sara

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (29)

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Looks to me like DS-70??

• postpunkgirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That's what Pirate Girl said over in the Cacti/Succulent forum! :)

Here is a link that might be useful: moving in hoyas and succulents

• mairzy_dotes
    12 years ago

I think it looks like nummularoides to me. Do you have more pics? Are there any little peduncles or blooms on it?

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

What is the surface of the leaf like, smooth or covered in short dense hairs?
    Do the edges of the leaf curl under?

Mike

• postpunkgirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

No blooms or peduncles yet. It's in a 4in pot... lots of growth. It's lighter than this photo appears. Looks very much like both that have been named! Ugh!

• postpunkgirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It looks slightly soft and fuzzy. :)

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

I would say Hoya DS-70 as well but it has been grown in low light.

Mike

• marco
    12 years ago

Hi all, I got trapped in this Wally-World EA fiasco as well. Today they had full established hanging EA Hoyas for $10 each. I haven't got a clue what they are really called. First, a pic of all 3.

Supposedly 'Snow Caps' lucunosa alba

Supposedly Bilobata - Hoya tsangii

Supposedly Chelsea

OK, please, what the heck did I end up with ? I see no penduncles or buds, blooms, etc. to help me right now. I went through them and these are not cuttings stuffed into an 8 inch pot. These seem to have a very well established root system.

One problem remains. I do not have one more place to hang a plant from, never mind 3.

I would appreciate any confirmations as to the correct names or suspected names of these 3.

poseidon

• postpunkgirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

What would it's appearance be in high light as DS-70? My KQ that is in the same area has a very light variegated green color and pretty pink on new growth ... it also blooms constantly in the summer. Can't wait to see the mystery hoya's blooms... and what to find out what color! I would be very happy for a DS-70 positive ID. :)

Also, why do they mass produce these hoyas in crummy soil with terrible labeling? Unless you find a new shipment, they usually look pretty rough.

Pretty plants Poseiden! Send them to me if you're out of room! ;)

• cpawl
    12 years ago

Poseidon Not sure if your first one is snow caps but is a nice lacunosa. Second one is DS-70 and your third one is caronsa chelsea.

postpunkgirl your hoya will look more like the one poseidon just got.See above photo.

Cindy

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

I agree with Cindy's ID as well...Poseidon's DS-70 seems to be grown in high light that's why the leaves has those pretty reddish tints.

• postpunkgirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

How lovely! Can't wait!

Cheers~
    Sara

• postpunkgirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Also, part of the discussion on the Cacti/Succulent forum... was the mealy bug danger of having my rescued clearance bin Echeveria on the same ledge with my hoyas, since they will not over winter outside. I have been treating the hoyas with neem very religiously. I also removed all the dead leaves/debri from the underside of the succulents and replanted them from their seperate containers into one large neem treated dish/soil. They were fairly dry so I treated the succulents, as well. Although, they will not tolerate this often.
    {{gwi:668730}}

{{gwi:668732}}
    Trial and error I suppose. Opinions? I don't really have any other place for all these sun loving plants. And they are SOOO purdy! (the large dish on the left is where I have moved my new Echeveria)

~Sara

• marco
    12 years ago

Hey Sara, I found room for them so don't pout ! LOL ! I wish I had a nice big window ledge like yours to put my Hoyas in. Yes, my DS-70 has new vines with reddish/purple color and some established vines have the leaves with a green center and a slightly rust-colored hue around the edges. Some vines have no veriagation at all and are all completely green.

One problem is that these plants were watered by the 'automatic' watering system during the previous night. I am still pouring water out of the bottom saucer every hour on the hour. If I hung all 3 up before the coming weekend, I am sure that the ceiling would collapse ! They weigh a ton.

The saleswoman said that the EA Hoyas were on sale all week for $10, and they had plenty of them. I even saw a Hoya linearis there but heard they were hard to grow. Peanut's linearis is beautiful, the pics he shared of it hanging and recenlty blooming were awesome.

poseidon

• Ament
    12 years ago

Rip off the bottom of those EA containers, take some Viva(I find Viva absorbs the most water but use whatever you have to hand, change as often as required) paper towels and cram them up into the drain holes, that will help pull water out of those pots, so your roots don't drown. I had to do that with every single EA pot I got from Lowes and Wal-mart.

Absolutely hate how much they drench them and the potting medium they use. I cannot afford to repot them right the moment, so this was my fix for now. I let them dry out a good deal before watering again.

In the spring, I intend to purchase enough stuff to repot each and every single hoya I currently own as well as any I purchase over the winter. :)

Good Luck with your new lovelies!

~Tina

• marco
    12 years ago

Tina, thanks for the tip. I took off the bottom saucers (they were full of mud) and stuffed Bounty up every hole with a chopstick.

Cindy, my lucunosa plant has aerial roots at each leaf node. The are on both sides of the node and an inch or longer. Does this help to narrow down which lucunosa it is ? Also of mention, when I took the saucer off the lucunosa, every drainage hole had healthy new white roots sticking about a half inch out of them. As I mentioned, these are well established plants, I found no pot that was 'stuffed to the brim' with small cuttings.

Wow, just took a 10 minute break composing this post and went to get a Pepsi, I then checked the paper towels and all 3 pots had soaked them to the point of dripping wet. I just replaced them all again ! so thanks again Tina for that tip about the paper towels. I don't think the plants will dry out before Christmas.

Maintenance is stopping by to put 2 more hooks into my concrete ceiling as that is all the room I have for hooks. I think the chelsea with its thick vines and beautiful thick dimpled leaves will make a good candidate for some kind of special floor/table top type trellis contraption. I have seen some of the pics you people have posted of your special hangers. I think Brad had one made from a bird cage, some one else had used a fire place log holder that loops around making a complete arch to hang it from and the loop as a trellis. I will figure out somewhere to put them all.

Once again, thanks to everyone who shares their knowlege with others. It is a sign of decent human beings ; )

poseidon

• cpawl
    12 years ago

Poseidon,The aerial roots will not help.If the hoya has a lot of white specks on the leaves then you might have snow caps.Its hard to tell from your photo if the leaves are covered with white specks.
    I would love to see a EA full basket of linearis and for ten dollars.It would be in my hands so fast.LOL
    Here is photo for you to see if yours is snow caps or not.

Cindy

Here is a link that might be useful: Apodagis

• penfold2
    12 years ago

Poseiden,

Instead of replacing the paper towels as they become saturated, just allow one end to hang downwards over a ledge (like a kitchen sink). Then gravity will drain the paper towel causing it to drip, and you will only need one. When the drips slow to a crawl, you know you're about done. I do this for some plants and it works very well.

• marco
    12 years ago

Cindy, yep ! that's the same plant as the one in your link. Also, I just helped maintenance to install the ceiling hooks and we used the lucunosa to measure where the holes should be and came face to face with a blossom, which was falling off bloom by bloom cause it was an old one, I guess. The blooms looked exactly like the ones in your pic. I saved some and although the pic isn't very clear, this is what they looked like next to a dime.

penfold, thanks for the tip. I am changing bounty balls as fast as I can. Your way will be much simpler !

poseidon

• postpunkgirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

How exciting Poseidon! I would LOVE to happen upon a Snow Caps! And blooming too!! Very cool. Maybe I'll have to talk the husband into a couple of ceiling hooks for my window to make more room! ;)

Cheers!
    Sara

• marco
    12 years ago

Thanks, Sara. I bet you would find one at Wally World. There were over a dozen of each plant on display and "more in back". I hope you find one !

penfold, your way of draning the pots works great. Saved a heap on Bounty and have all 3 plants dripping into trays from the 6 wicks I shoved up the drainage holes of each pot. I have gotten over one cup of water from each so far, and these were watered 2 nights ago !!! Also saw many fresh new roots poking out more than half the drainage holes.

poseidon

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

Penfold,

That's a great sounding trick, will keep it in mind, thanks, ever so practical.

FYI: I don't know WHY they do this, but the staff at Home Depot (in Chelsea) confessed to me that they're told to water twice a day (or did they say 3 times, I was so shocked I forget). Don't know why they do this - ARGGGGG.

I recently heard that in the produce section of supermarkets, where the spray of water comes on from time to time actually induces rot more quickly in the produce, but the spray of water is a marketing thing which seems to fool folks in to thinking it's fresher.

Leave it to the marketers to try & dupe us any way they can.

• marco
    12 years ago

One nice thing that I forgot to mention was that the Walmart sales lady told me to keep my receipt and make a photo copy of it (because the print fades over time). If the plant dies within one year, bring back the dead plant and its receipt and either you get another plant or you get your money back !!! WOW

poseidon

• peanut01
    12 years ago

Yesterday for the first time ever I saw small EA pots(2.5") with DS-70 in them. And you know what... They were partially correct with the name. It was labelled Hoya bilobata ssp. DS-70.

That was the first mention of DS-70 that I have ever seen on an EA tag.

-David

• marco
    12 years ago

David, I saw the little cups of DS-70 today at Walmart, but "Hoya mini wax leaf" was the name on the plastic EA ID tag. LOL. I went there today to buy the linearis but they sold out. Rats !

I was looking around inside my new plants last night to check them for bugs, etc. I was using one of those mini flashlights with the bright led bulbs in them. I didn't find anything questionable yet, phew, but when I got to the DS-70, I saw eyes staring back at me and blinking !. The next thing I know, a toad hops out of the basket and sticks to my dining room wall. and then crawled up it and all over it ! It took me almost an hour to catch the darn thing. Scared the living daylights out of me !

Those poor plants are still dripping water from their wicks !!! After 3 days, how much more water could it possibly hold ? I think NASA could come up with a good use for something so extremely absorbant. I won't need to water these for a while.

• Ament
    12 years ago

Holy geeze Poseidon!

That's loads of water out of them! Wow! I use Viva for my paper towel... Reason why? I found out, these are very tough paper towels. LoL I had one wadded up in my pocket once, after having used it. Um, to blow my nose. LoL Yes, Ick I know. However, I was sick and those kleenex just fall apart too easy. Viva is pretty soft actually and doesn't fall apart easy either. Anyway, I forgot the paper towel in my pocket and ran it through the washer and dryer. Strange thing was? It came back out them both, intact! Shrank of course, but intact! Heh! And it still absorbed alot too!

So now I don't use any other brand paper towel. =)

Good luck drying your pretties out enough so they don't rot on you.

~Tina

• eileen44_gardener
    12 years ago

The Dischidia 'Geri' that I picked up at HD 2 weeks ago, and removed the "tray" immediately, and set on papertowels... though not the wicking procedure... changed the papertowels frequently and hung on a hook from the ceiling... when I feel the 'soil'... it is just beginning to show signs of drying....damp... not dry! Can't believe they are so drenched...at least we can share that here and learn how others deal with it!... I will try the wicking procedure on the next one! thanks Eileen

• marco
    12 years ago

Went back to Wally World today looking for that elusive linearis. They didn't have any but there in the same spot where I picked up last weeks EA snow caps, was 3 more sopping wet dripping like a faucet lucunosa snow caps, which were all in FULL BLOOM !. At least 10-20 on each drenched plant. My nice dry one at home, not a single bud ! Yet the plants sitting in 'liquid soil' for the past few weeks are blooming away like crazy.

Why ? All I can do is laugh. No one would believe it if they saw it with their own eyes. Watch me never get another bloom on my plant again while plants grown in mud flourish.

poseidon

• Ament
    12 years ago

Whew, that's just bonkers, blooming in mud like soil...

Well, I made a trip to Jolly Lane green house two days ago and found a monster of a Hoya. No name on the tag and it's blooming like mad! I'll post a picture of it. No name on the tag either. I could not pass by it, so I went back today and bought it. =) Post coming up with pictures for help on the name of it.

~Tina

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County
More Discussions