Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
klyde_gw

What's up with curtisii?

klyde
12 years ago

I have a hoya curtisii that has never really done very well. Grows sporadically, with a fair amount of tip die-back. Leaves drop off, with bare patches of vine, that I am forever trimming back. Then someone sent me a chunk of the larger leaved one, which I stuck in the pot as well (not that it took off very well, but many thanks to the generous lad who did, regardless).

Then curtisii got aphids, which I've been battling on many of my hoyas. There are times where I want to do what I did to serpens and just send it away to someone who can sweet-talk it into thriving.

So I'm walking past it the other day and notice something. Oh good Lord, another pest? Another bunch of dead leaves? A small bit of dried fruit or veg from when one of my boys fires something at the compost pot and misses? Nay I say. UMBELS. Two of them. What is that saying? Curtisii, you are an enigma, wrapped up in a mystery... (I forgot the rest). Seriously, I don't even know what the blooms look like, but I'm gonna google in about 1 minute :)

And I thought I was complicated!

Comments (12)

• lalla62
    12 years ago

klyde ,hoya curtisii is between i consider difficult to groowe...

i have not understand what she wants...water, no water, cool,warm...

i only know mine is dead!!!

i hope something in this forum helps you!!!

and still me....ciao.

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

Kelly you are not alone. I have two Hoya curtisii plants and both are trouble. Recently I have seen better growth and I attribute that to the fact that I am keeping the potted plant constantly moist. The mounted plant always drops new leaves but it's much harder to keep moist and once a day misting is about all it gets. I am considering mounting a Phalaenopsis species with it and then just forgetting about it, might just work. Lol

Congratulations on the curtisii blooms!

Mike

• mairzy_dotes
    12 years ago

I too had a difficult time with that species until it finally died. I did not get another. I have long ago decided that there are just too many kinds of hoyas to play around with that do fantastically in my conditions than to fret over trying to make one adapt that does not like it here.
    Others have said it likes to climb along bark or moss covered things that are kept moist. Or that in an aquarium they did well. All that is just too much work for me, so I don't grow that one anymore. I have good luck with the little H. lacunosas and H. krohiana, and also the cute little H. mathilda. All these have darling little leaves, delightful flowers, and are much easier to keep going than H. curtisii. At least in my corner of the world. Some places it probably grows like weeds. LOL

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

Congratulations Klyde, you're doing something very right!! I believe I saw one in bloom a year ago, blooms are small light greenish, almost difficult to see for the foliage.

I've had a small pot of this for years, slow, not so great, except for the section I mounted on bark, that did well for about a year, but I don't have the patience to remember to take it over & to the sink to water it daily as that needed.

Finally I lost mine last winter. I tried another sprig of it last Spring, which also failed.

Now, I've got another few longer cuttings, am trying some in a sealed bag of moist LFS. Trying another couple of pieces in a mix of LFS & perlite under a cover.

Where do folks learn where a Hoya hails from & what natural conditions it likes pls?

I hadn't realized other folks had trouble w/ this one.

Good luck /w your peduncles & hope you'll share pix when they bloom.

• RainforestGuy
    12 years ago

Hoya curtisii in the wild grows in the sunniest and driest locations. Exposed to sun on limestone and dead tree limbs, they often go unnoticed because they grow so closely to its substrate.
    Grow this one in a small amount of media, growing it epiphytically as a mounted specimen would give you the best results!It needs a LOT of light. Usually plants that have a heavy down or white reflective flecks on their leaves have it for one reason. To reflect light away from the plant. Therefore give it what it was meant for and you will be successful. They also dislike wet feet, so grow it in something well draining and not a whole lot of it. They bloom often when they are grown pot bound and tight.

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

Great info RFG. I had my plants in too little light so I have moved the mounted one to see if it does better.

Mike

• cpawl
    12 years ago

I did just the same after reading the info that RFG gave.This summer I had this hoya out side with south sun with a bit of protection and it grew very nice.Fall and winter its hard to get good light.I have moved it very close to my T5 light.I hope it will keep grow over the winter.

Cindy

• klyde
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'd like to say that I knew what it needed all along, but you all have met me and would see right through that. However, I have been growing it in very loose and chunky 'soil'. Bit o' this, and a bit o' that ( remember I use up opened bags of whatever LOL). Then I plunked her in a South window (cuz I frankly didn't care what happened to it) and watered it a fair bit (cuz I have short term memory loss-is there an approaching-middle-age forum around here?). Voila!

Still don't like the look of the little Mother. Balding in spots, and not very nicely shaped (where is that forum?). Googled the flowers, and I'm not sure if I like the looks of that. Maybe nicer in real life? Well I won't get too excited, there is still time to blast off LOL.

Thanks for listening hoya people. Don't feel like such a hoya-loser when I hear of troubles elsewhere. I'll see if I can tighten up on the conditions RFG.

• peanut01
    12 years ago

I grow mine on the dry side. I purchased it in a small EA pot and it has since been transplanted to an 8" pot the beginning of this summer. I do not water this one very often, but the pot does stay heavy. I mixed pine bark in with the previous medium this plant was growing in when I repotted it. I have not ran into any problems yet, but I have only been growing this one for 3 years now. I think as stated above it would grow great mounted since it is the only hoya that I've had root into my wood railing on my porch, but with that comes the task of having water/mist frequently or provide a high humidity environment.

Great luck!!!

By the way when I grow this plant outdoors it is under a tree with dappled light or on the eastern side of my home with only early morning sun.

• RainforestGuy
    12 years ago

A well grown curtisii of the larger leafed form. This plant should get more light so it gets a bit purplish as a sign of a healthy growing individual. Add some phosphorus to help aid in achieving this purplish coloring and then watch for flowers.

• lalla62
    12 years ago

i am sorry... but i have a lot of confusion in my head!!!!!!!

in my short experience with this hoya, i notice that grows better if kept moist....

every day i spraied water and only so it seemed to be better...

but not enough to live.

now here i read it is better in dry....

was i wrong?

• klyde
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm gonna have to get a spiral bound book and start writing down all these tidbits RFG keeps sending our way.

Wait a minute. RFG have you perchance written a book already?

Peanut. OMG, that is the mother of all things curtisii. I'm not too sure you wanna give that monster fertilizer LOL. WAY TO GO. Mine looks like a puny piece of crap compared to that (lowering of voice as it might hear and blast those creepy little umbels).

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz
More Discussions