Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
quinnfyre

Hoya paulshirleyi budding

quinnfyre
13 years ago

How exciting! It came with a peduncle... well, actually, I think it came with blooms but they fell off in transit, so I didn't notice the little dried up flowers until I was emptying the box to break it down to put out with the recycling. It was a fairly easy cutting to root, but it hasn't put out any new growth yet. Then I noticed that the peduncle looked different... and found out it was budding! It has progressed to a pretty decent size now, so I may actually see it bloom!

Here are some pics:

With flash:

A closer view:

Without flash:

Just for fun, an orchid that is blooming. This is Lepanthopsis astrophora 'Stalky'. It is tiny, you definitely need a magnifying glass to get a proper look at its flowers. Just for reference, that pretty purple flower is probably only a few millimeters high.

{{gwi:197141}}

Comments (13)

• PRO
    Jan Sword-Rossman Realty 239-470-6061
    13 years ago

Queen, Looking forward to seeing flowers soon.
    THat orchid flowers are tiny but pretty!

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

Those buds look like they will make it, congratulations!
    Your little Lepanthopsis is adorable, very colourful. Are you growing many intermediate/cool Pleurothallids or is this a warm grower. At the last orchid show I went to there were several vendors with some very large Pleurothallis sp and a few unknown Pleurothallids with hairy leaves, all really neat stuff but I was afraid I would kill them in short order so I resisted the temptation. One of out society members picked up a Pleurothallis tarantula.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Orchid species Pleurothallis tarantula

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

That's awesome Quinn!! Congrats on your cutting re-budding!
    I believe I saw a picture of those gorgeous leaves tinged with pink and very visible veins that pop out. Quite impressive...it was on Ted green's website. You'll have to see if that happens to yours when it gets very bright light! Pretty buds...can't wait to see it open!

• golden_ca_2000
    13 years ago

Wow very very nice! Im just awaiting my order from Paul Shirley... hopefully any day! Did you just get that or have you had that a little while?

• quinnfyre
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I've had it since the summer, maybe mid June early July? It does have pretty leaves that don't photograph super well, and at the moment, I don't really have a chance of getting it the kind of light it needs to color up the leaves. All that real estate is currently occupied, ha. This cutting did come from Ted Green, so it probably will color up like his, given the chance.

Mike, I think the pleuros I have are warm growers. The lepanthopsis is from Venezuela, Pleuro alata from Costa Rica, and amparaoana also from Costa Rica or Panama. Ah, just looked it up, ornata is supposed to be a cool grower. No wonder it has been cranky with me. Grobyi seems to be pretty adaptable, temp wise. My Restrepia striata is supposed to be more of a cool grower, I think, but is warm tolerant, and continues to bloom for me pretty regularly. It is quickly becoming a favorite of mine! If you don't already have it, you should get one. It is easy growing for me, at the bottom of my terrarium, watered daily. I should be watering all these guys with distilled or RO water, but I've been using filtered water, and they seem to be ok for now. I might start getting a few bottles of Aquafina or Dasani now and again (both RO water, which is why, in my opinion, they taste nasty... or rather, don't taste like anything at all and are therefore nasty, ha) which is a lot lighter than getting a gallon jug of distilled water to lug home.

For Mike in particular, but not excluding anyone else... you may notice that behind the buds are some lovely lambii leaves : ) I can't wait til I see some new growth on that, although at the moment, it fits quite nicely in my terrarium, which allows me to baby it with some extra humidity.

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

Oh good I am glad your Hoya lambii is doing well. My plant just started new growth a little while ago and has grown some really big leaves, finally filling in some bare spots and it continues to bloom on and off. I think your plant will surprise you when it starts growing, they grow very fast straight up and definitely want something to grab hold of.

I might try another Pleuro, those large growers are just so cool but I don't really have the room. Pleuro grobyi has been on my wish list for a long time. Sometimes I wish I had a misting system on my grow case, would be much easier than taking the top off every two days to water and the plants would be happier. I added more light because there were no blooms on my plants, hopefully they start blooming again for show season.

Mike

• quinnfyre
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I really like grobyi, though it hasn't bloomed for me in quite some time. It is unfortunately in the case which has the bush snail problem. But it continues to grow pretty well, and really hasn't given me any problems. Just no blooms. It's ok, it bloomed for me not long after I got it, so I've at least seen it bloom. And it is such a cute little plant even without blooms. I would totally recommend this one. Does your grow case have a lid that lifts up? I water everything in that case with a chemical wash bottle. It has an angled nozzle that fits right under the lid, and it is easy to aim the stream of water where I need it to go. I like it because I don't have to lift the lid and move the lights out of the way. I use it to water plants on my shelves too, because I can shoot the water where I need it without moving all my plants around.

Yeah, I'm exciting to see new growth on lambii, and a little apprehensive, as well. When it starts growing, I'm going to have to take it out of the terrarium, as it is only 24 inches tall, but we're coming up on winter now, and the humidity in my room drops dramatically in the winter. Plus I'm going to have to do some rearranging to figure out where it will fit best. My humidifier needs repair, unfortunately. Hopefully I can fix it, as it wasn't a cheap humidifier and the customer service for the brand is reputed to be abysmal.

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

The lights for my grow case sit right on top and I have to take them off and then the lid is in two separate pieces. With the current set up I don't think adding a misting system would be as easy as I think but anything that saves time would be great. Right now I use a hand pump pressure sprayer, just a little one from the pet store.

Your Hoya lambii will more than likely not make many leaves , just a high climbing vine at first. The leaves take their time to fill in but at least in the case of my plant a peduncle formed fairly quickly after it started to grow.

Mike

• quinnfyre
    Original Author
    13 years ago

So, not too long after I took the above pics of the buds, it started dropping them. Most of them did in fact fall off, which was disappointing. But some of them did make it.

They are quite small. I didn't really detect a scent, though I got a slight hint of something briefly. Flowers only lasted a couple days at most, though I can't tell if that's because that's the natural lifespan, or if it's related to why the buds fell off in the first place. My theory for the bud drop is that it wasn't really established enough to support the flowers, and right about the time the buds showed up, I ran out of my premixed fertilizer water and was watering with plain water, as I was too busy to mix up another batch at the time. So, it decided to jettison the flowers rather than spend the energy on them. Which is ok, it was a bonus that it bloomed at all. This wasn't super recent; it bloomed around the 13th but I haven't been able to get it together to go through the pics to post one.

Oh, Mike... my grobyi is actually blooming! It was a little hard to tell, because it sends out long bloomstalks well away from the plant, and because there is a serissa in there that is sprawling all over the place and dropping leaves. It is nice to see it bloom again : )

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

Oh it's too cute and lovely. I love the size and colors and the way the photograph captures all stages of the bloom. Thanks for "getting it together" and posting an update!

• soniarj
    13 years ago

Hello Kinnfyre. How are you?
    Congratulations for your Hoya. What is ID?
    Hi Mike, how are you?
    I advise you to talk to a good salesman pleurotalis orchids, he can guide you on the best variety to be grown at home.
    God bless you all!
    Hugs
    sonia polonio
    Rio de janeiro-Brasil

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

Quinn sorry that the buds blasted but there should be more where those came from. You know the light coloured one I have, Hoya sp Sulawesi GPS 8860, well it's flowers only last one day before they drop so your plant may also have short lived flowers.

Hoya sp Sulawesi GPS 8860

I almost bought a Restrepia last weekend, was quite tempted but I decided on a little Epidendrum escobarianum instead. The speaker at my local Orchid Society was a grower of cool growing orchids and had many Masdevallias, Draculas and Pleurothallids of all types really. Sadly there were no really warm growers so I went for the Epidendrum instead.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Epidendrum escobarianum photos

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

It's just lovely Quinn!

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County