Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mdahms1979

Fall order from the Liddles

mdahms1979
13 years ago

I was happy to hear a package had arrive for me at work today. The cuttings that had left Australia a couple of weeks ago and sat in Canadian customs for ten days had finally made their last leg of a long journey. After such a long journey I had wondered how the cuttings would look and I was surprised and happy with what I saw when I opened the package. Many of the cuttings had developed extensive aerial roots while in transit, roots that were still very much alive and growing. There were a few yellow leaves but mostly on a a single delicate species that does not travel well at the best of times.

Here is what I got.

IML 1256 Hoya sp. Esteralla Waterfall

IML 1870 Hoya sp unknown grey

IML 1503 similar to revoluta

IML 0189 Hoya odorata

IMl 0968 aff picta orange/yellow blooms

IML 1301 aff pubifera - Lligan Philippines

IML 1212 - large lacanose leaf, red blooms

Hoya kloppenburghii !!!!!!!

I took some quick photos, nothing fancy but it will give an idea of the state the cuttings were in and just how generous they are in size.

After a four hour soak.

Hoya kloppenburghii, sp unknown Grey, sp. Esterella waterfall, sp. aff. revoluta.

Hoya sp. aff pubifera, Hoya sp. aff. picta, odorata, Hoya sp. IML 1212. Check out the cool white veining on the aff. pubifera on the far left, this is nothing like my Hoya pubifera, this one is just plain huge in comparison.

I am very happy with this order, got some really interesting species and one possible duplicate (aff picta). There are peduncles on the aff. revoluta and sp. Esterella waterfall so hopefully they hold onto those and I can get some blooms some day soon.

Mike

Comments (24)

• mitzicos
    13 years ago

Hi Mike, greetings from Brazil!!!!

How many days does it took to arrive?
    I've ordered many cuts, but due to the long journey from Thailand to Brazil most of them arrived almost dead!!!!
    I'm doing all I can to bring them back to live!!!!!
    Does anyone here knows how many days can a cut survive????

Thanks

Mitzi

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Mitzi the usual length of time from Australia is only 4-5 days but the cuttings have to go through customs inspection and that can take another 4-5 days or more in this case.
    If you order from overseas make sure to use the fastest shipping available and when the cuttings arrive soak them in water with a little sugar added, this will rehydrate the cuttings and the glucose is an energy source to help the plant recuperate. Keep your cuttings soaking until they look like the are plump again and then pot them up and keep in bright light in high humidity. I use an empty aquarium with plastic over top so that it is humid inside.

I have had cuttings survive 21 days in the mail. The cuttings were very dry but I soaked them for 12 hours and they all survived. Don't be afraid to soak them for a long time but if you do soak them for more than 8 hours take them out for an hour or so and then change the water, sugar really grows bacteria fast if you let it sit.

Mike

• mitzicos
    13 years ago

Mike,

Thank you for your response!
    In Brazil we have an extra problem! We are not allowed to import plants, so the fasten way EMS, DHL, etc is very dangerous because they go to custom and the plant is confiscated.
    I used EMS and I was look! But some of my friends lost everything.
    I'm expecting two deliveries, one from Netherlands and other from US, let's see how long it takes. I dont know how to upload pictures here, but I would like to share the last ones I received from Thailand, they arrived very bad, with no leaves, but I still expecting a miracle!!!
    By the way which is the site of Iris Liddle???? I search at google but did not find it. Thanks

• golden_ca_2000
    13 years ago

Wow Mike they look FANTASTIC!!!

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Awesome Mike...Congrats! Can't wait to see the red bloom from your large leaf lacunosa...wonder if its a true red? That would be awesome! Good luck and enjoy them!

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Golden.

Pug I am pretty sure that IML 1212 has flowers similar to Hoya sp Rundum, like big flat red Hoya revoluta flowers. The leaves are really nice, very dark.

Mitzi we get these cuttings from Australia with an import permit and they must be inspected before they can be shipped. Often a group of people puts in a large order and then splits the cost of the documents. There is no webpage for the Liddle's Hoya catalog, you have to email and get a copy. I probably have a copy but I am sure you can not order without the paperwork, Australia is very strict concerning impot/export of plants.

Mike

• mitzicos
    13 years ago

Mike,

Thank you for your assistance!!!
    Even with an import permit (which "we" dont have) it would be almost impossible to import from Australia due the long way to Brazil. The plants probably would arrive dead!
    The only people allowed to import plants in Brazil are those who sell plants, which is not my case, I'm just a collection person. Anyway we buy the plants under the risk of getting it all confiscated, we also take much care about the phitosanitary conditions of the plants in order to avoid any agricultural problem,I'm buying from ebay and from Thailand!!! The most beautiful hoyas I ever see was at forest treasure in Philippines.....it is wonderful but their price are high and there is a minimum quantity to buy, as we import it under a "certain risk" we do not buy much (if we loose we loose few). When I say "we" is because we are a group of Brazilian's hoya lovers!!!!!! Does anybody ever bought anything from forest treasure?????

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

Wow, Mike. That Hoya aff pubifera is really gorgeous! I'm always so jealous of your orders. You get some really fascinating plants.

I'm curious about IML 1870. Where does the "Grey" in its name come from? Also, would you like to share why Hoya kloppenburghii gets so many exclamation marks? ^_^

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Mitzi there is an American Hoya grower who buys and sells Forest Treasure plants in Florida, search for SRQ Hoyas.

GG I took a chance on that sp. unknown grey and I know absolutely nothing about it. The leaves are quite similar to my Hoya sp. UT001 which is from Sumatra if I remember correctly, sp Grey had no collection data. I guess they blooms could be greyish but that seems odd, will have to wait and see. The cutting is in the bottom left hand corner of the first group shot of the potted cuttings.

Hoya kloppenburghii was at the top of my must have list for a long time, such a strange flower. I was able to join a group order from Ted Green this past spring but this and sp Linus, the two most expensive plants (plus odorata) were rotted. I added the Hoya kloppenburghii to my list for this order in case it was available because it was not listed, what a surprise when I looked through my order.

Mike

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

I would have made the same risky decision on the sp. unknown grey. Grey blooms would be so awesome. It does seem unlikely, but there are some grey-blue flowers out there, like pansies, so mayyybe...

Congratulations on the kloppenburgii! I hope this cutting flourishes for you. The flower IS very strange. The only photo I was able to find was the one on TG's site. Do you know what the front looks like?

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The blooms are slightly grotesque and the leaves are very stiff, just an odd looking plant and I absolutely love it.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Hoya kloppenburghii

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

Ohhhh. Yeah, thanks, those are much better pictures. I can see what you mean about the leaves. Very fun, the combination of crinkly edges with that stiffness. The blooms look like little alien fruits! I definitely relate to your attraction to it.

• mitzicos
    13 years ago

Mike,

I have already ordered some cuts from Joni - SRQ Hoyas!!!
    I'm waiting and "hoping" that custom here does not confiscate my cuts!!!!

Thanks for your help

• kellyknits
    13 years ago

Mike,
    Glad to see you have Kloppenburghii!

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Kelly, Hoya kloppenbughii is definitely a new favorite. I am also excited to see if Hoya sp Esterella waterfall will make buds on it's peduncle.
    It's always fun to order in the fall, keeps me busy for when the snow begins to fall outside.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Hoya sp Esterella Waterfall on GrowingHoyas

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

Oh... crap. I am in love... with sp. Estrella waterfall. v_v

... or is it just lust?

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    13 years ago

GG lust sounds so fleeting, this one looks like it would be easy to love. I find it hard not to love those bright green (ginger scented!) flowers, can hardly wait for blooms from this one.

Mike

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

Ginger scented?!! Okay it's definitely love. I'm going to write down the name and sleep with it under my pillow until I figure out some way to obtain it...

... (._.)'

• wrynsmom
    13 years ago

GG, sp. Estrella Waterfall has been on my list for almost a year, now. And I STILL don't have it! hahaha

Carolyn

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

Oh dear. I don't think I'm even capable of keeping track of a list for a year. Mine seem to consist of a never-ending series of post-it notes that keep coming unstuck from the fridge and ending up on the bottom of my shoes.

• kellyknits
    13 years ago

GG, that's me, too! Sticky notes EVERYWHERE! I find notes with the names of hoyas all over the place - stuck to magazines, in my purse, on the floor half eaten by the cat, under the couch cushions, in my desk drawer....some I don't even remember where I came across the names!

We just had our first threat of frost...of course I didn't know until after 11pm, so spent Tuesday evening dragging plants in....yikes, I keep saying this...I'm going to be in trouble when all of these guys "grow up"!

Kelly

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

So glad I'm in good company!

Don't even get me started on post-its. If it was just the wish list that would be one thing. But I also have ones like the one I just found here, which cryptically says

verticillata
    acuta = pottsii?

chlorantha = betchei

compacta
    white boarder = cv. Regalis
    green boarder = cv. Mauna Loa

pallida = verticillata = Bogor?

So, what exactly was my plan for this little guy? To start writing species cross-reference notes in my collection archive? I'm like a schizophrenic librarian.

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

btw, I didn't actually misspell border twice on my post-it, just here for the benefit of all of you. :)

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well now I feel slightly better about having plant related lists pinned to my bulletin board or lying around my desk. I have gotten too good at scratching plants of those lists, it's almost like a sport. LOL

Lately I have been trying to keep things more organized so now I use a small journal to write in. No more lists lying around but now I have to figure out how to stop buying plants.

Mike

Sponsored