Return to the Hoya Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Quick Question

Posted by Paphia none (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 8, 12 at 3:47

Do you know if I can take some of my hoyas to overseas from Australia? I know I cannot have any plant material from overseas but I am not sure the opposite... I have some friends in Europe and they want some hoyas when I go holiday

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Quick Question

You have to have the proper paperwork to bring them back to your country. You should contact your Agricultural Department and ask about importing plants to know what you will have to do. Import permits are usually all that is needed plus paying for a phytosanitary certificate in the country of origin.

Mike

o

You have to have the proper paperwork to bring them back to your country. You should contact your Agricultural Department and ask about importing plants to know what you will have to do. Import permits are usually all that is needed plus paying for a phytosanitary certificate in the country of origin.

Mike

o

There's no problem getting the plants out of Australia, the problems would arise when you go into the country you're taking them into. Get your friends to check with their agricultural/quarantine authorities on what their restrictions are. But usually cuttings of something like Hoya are okay, although anything with soil is generally stopped. If there's any paperwork required sort it out before you go.

I sent some Hoyas to Thailand (I know, most people here get Hoyas FROM Thailand) and the post office employee insisted I couldn't do it and refused to take the parcel. I called in the manager and asked them to prove it wasn't allowed. They came up with a page on the AQIS (Australian quarantine) site which when I read it said it wasn't allowed to IMPORT them without the proper paperwork (phyto). So they reluctantly accepted the package advising me it would end up being destroyed anyway. Later I got an email from the recipient in Thailand saying the plants came through in very good condition without any delays. Moral of the story, don't believe everything you're told.

o

Haha. I can't quite wrap my head around Thailand wanting plants from us. xD Go Australia.

Good story/info.

o

True GG, but they're still winning, probably about 100,000 sent to us, a couple sent to them, LOL.

o

It's normal... That place is a Hoya Heaven :)

o

tropicbreezent have you ever try to order any hoya from Thailand etc... Do you know how this process works?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hoya Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here