Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
geosdee

Moths on the Hoya blooms

geosdee
11 years ago

Look what happens when you have lots of visitors to your Hoya. David did you get seed pods from your visitors?

Dee

Comments (10)

• plantomaniac08
    11 years ago

Oh my goodness, I've never seen that before! I guess you'll have to do some research on hoya seed germination if you haven't done so already. :)

Planto

• emt23
    11 years ago

So cool! ~ Mary

• geosdee
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well planto I don't do seeds well, we just don't get along. This is only 1 peduncle and it had moths on every bloom. this is H. bicolor and it loves to bloom once established and likes lots of sunlight, almost direct sun even this florida sun.

Mary I have several that did this.

Dee

• greedygh0st
    11 years ago

Amazing photo, Dee! I just love it. It looks kind of like a creepy Halloween hand, doesn't it?

I am just sooooo jealous of all you who get to enjoy seeing seedpods develop on your plants. I think they are another very beautiful side to Hoyas, whether you grow the seeds or not. There is so much diversity to them, like buds, and look at that fabulous leopard design!

Wouldn't it be cool one year to do a sort of seedpod collection/distribution base. Have someone volunteer to accept seedpods from people who don't want to grow them, and distribute little sampler envelopes of them to everyone who signed up. Probably impractical with the narrow viability window though. There would have to be an extremely narrow seedpod collection window.

Still, I hope more people take pictures of their seedpods for us to enjoy. :) :)

• Klea
    11 years ago

That is one fertile hoya!! So many seed pods! Thank you for sharing the photo, it is so fun to see stuff like that.

• emt23
    11 years ago

Man I have two of them .. bicolor...and they are in suspended animation. Some day, but that is such a cool picture I cannot get over it. Thanks again for sharing it Dee. I do have them in four hour direct sunlight. Perhaps there should be a topic to start on manually pollinating in general. Any ideas anybody? ~ Mary

• smn55410
    11 years ago

I think I could get behind the idea of a pollination topic. I've always wondered about hoya pollination such as if they're self-pollinating, etc.

• plantomaniac08
    11 years ago

geosdee,
    I don't do well with seeds either. The last time I tried, I was growing some oregano from seed only to repot the seedlings when they outgrew the pot and instantly die (Seriously, it happened overnight). What are your plans with the seedpods?

Planto

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

I get night visitors on my H. pubicalyx but haven't had any seed pods develop on them. Maybe the moths here need to read up on finer points of Hoya pollination, LOL.

• geosdee
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Planto, I really don't have any plans for although I am going to send a few to a friend. Some of them have already 'burst' open and flown on the wind. Hmm I wonder if I will find some wild grown Hoya in the woods of my property, lol wouldn't that be neat

Dee

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County