Return to the Hoya Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
repotting an EA plant?

Posted by therealmrsdoodlepunk 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 22, 09 at 9:05

I've read several posts about the EA plants having water retentive stuff in the soil, and the potting mix being hard to wash off the roots. I have been wondering if it's really good to leave the plant in this mix. They do look like they've been growing well and are healthy but is it best to leave them in it, or should I repot into my nice loose orchid bark/perlite/soil that the other plants seem to thrive in?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: repotting an EA plant?

Winter is right around the corner, I would just leave it in until spring time if it was mine in zone 5. It's hard to transplant if it's thin plants like lacunosa or especially linearis.

o

Thanks, Jan, that is what I thought. This was labeled as kentiana and a nice full plant, but no new growth like on everything else here. I'll just keep misting it with VF-11 and wait for spring.

BTW, the obovata from you has a bunch of new leaves! It's now my favorite hoya, so different from all my others. The round leaves are so cute, so big and thick. I have been using VF 11 as a foliar feed and think it's really a wonderful thing. In fact, the EA plant is the only one with no new leaves coming, but maybe I'm missing one somewhere.

o

I have several EA plants that are in the original mix. I prefer to move them to my mix when I can, but some of those plants are so big and as it's been noted, the mix is so stuck to the roots, I just don't risk it most of the time. But what I DO do is take cuttings of all my EA plants, just in case they start to go south at some point. I still have my first EA Hoya, DS-70, in the original mix - I've had it 6 years.

Denise in Omaha

o

In my opinion, it's best to leave EA plants in the original soil. I used to try to get as much of the soil off as possible and then repot into my own mix, but every single one of those hoyas died. Then I bought new ones and left them in the original mix, and not only have they all lived, but they thrived and most of them constantly bloom for me. I recommend removing the bottom saucer so that the soil gets more air and dries out faster.

Hope that helps,
Gabi

o

Thanks, Jan, Denise and Gabi! I have restrained myself and didn't repot. For one, I'm out of orchid bark for now. Then, took the thing down and really looked at it, there are a couple places where new leaves are starting! So I will leave it as it is.

I was at the store last night and saw that the plant that I thought was a DS-70 is now gone. Hope it went to a good home. I didn't really have ROOM for it anyway. I don't have space for everything I have now, once they all get a bit bigger. I have to get working on a plan for more hanging spots!

o

Wow! My EA H. brevialata started rotting in that soil. I dumped the whole thing out and started over. In that six inch pot, there were over 15 rooted cuttings! Rather than have one pot with that many, I've potted up, two plants per three inch pot. So far, so good!!! Wish me luck . . . I'm hoping at least half survive.

Carolyn

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hoya Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here