Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greentoe357

Is this TOO much light?

greentoe357
10 years ago

Are the leaves TOO purple/pink? Should I move it farther from the grow lights?

Comments (9)

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

No, it's not too much light, I think this is genetically in the plant, not a function of high light.

This is a frequent characteristic of Hoya Krimson Queen. I've had some KQs which do this & some which don't. I'd suggest leaving it just where it is; those pink leaves will mature into white, so pls. don't think it's a problem when they do that. It's fine, normal growth, just enjoy.

• greentoe357
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, PG. I want to make sure we're talking about the same thing though. I know the creamy-white leaves are not the result of too much or too little light. I've asked about them before here (http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/hoya/msg0803155428662.html), which has the same plant picture before this most recent growth happened.

When I stuck it under stronger fluorescent lights, this new growth happened - 2 green/purple leaves on top and 2 pink smaller leaves at the bottom of the picture. That is what I am talking about. The pink/purple is definitely because of the lights, I just wonder it it's enough or too much light.

Sorry about the confusion.

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

The same is true of them too. It's normal, just leave it alone & pls. try to stop worrying so.

Also, if I'm not mistaken there's a KQ that has some dark green/purple leaves like this (maybe a form called Superba, Denise is this ringing a bell?).

Not wishing to seem rude, but from what I've read in your posts recently, you seem very concerned abt each & every detail in growing these. I know you only want the very best for your plants (don't we all?!), but you'll maybe drive yourself nuts or perhaps even 'overnuture' these as someone coined here.

Pls. be reminded that Joni suggests Hoyas thrive w/ a fair amount of neglect. Many of us find it helpful to keep things on the simpler side when growing them & not sweat each & every detail.

PS: I don't grow under lights at all (I'm blessed w/ all west windows).

But am guessing too much light would bleach them out (which I have seen among some growers in So. Cal), which they do in favor of more frequent blooms.

So in conclusion, no I don't think it's too much light.

I would ask tho' how far are the lights from the top of the plants?

• greentoe357
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nah, I am not worrying. I am kind of obsessed though and very interested in learning, experimenting, noticing new growth and telling the GOOD vs the BEST conditions apart. So that is why it might appear like I worry a lot.

> I would ask tho' how far are the lights from the top of the plants?

About 5 inches to the tops of leaves from 2x54W T5HO bulbs.

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Well from out here, not so easy to tell diff btwn worrying & obsessed (same thing from here abt potential 'overnurturing'). Still, I'd try to limit the obsession somewhat, it's not likely to help the Hoyas any ;>)

One can't necessary be TOLD all these things. Distinctions like 'good vs. best' can often depend on condition & vary btwn growers (maybe you've seen the phrase at GW YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary).

Certainly, am in favor of all that especially the learning, but have also understood that once given the basics, it's really up to me to customize them to my own setting.

Some of these things one needs to learn through time, trial & experience. (See the Sans. forum for my wacky yet successful experiments growing some Sans. in water)

Was curious abt distance to the lights, but not having experience growing w/ them, I don't know what to think.

• teisa
    10 years ago

GT,

Hey there! Looks like some typical growth that KQ puts out sometimes. I get some kinda purple ish leaves quite often on new growth. It's totally normal and can be expected. I wouldn't do a thing as far as lighting, it looks Great!

Teisa

• Denise
    10 years ago

PG, I know what clone you're talking about and this could be that one. I had one for awhile and the new leaves were very dark, and the eventually all white ones were often almost red...

GT, I can't advise you about growing under lights because I don't, but 5" sounds very close. With the lights down that close to the plants, how does one ever get a chance to really peruse their plants, admire them, groom them, etc.? Well, we do what we have to do to make our plants happy, huh?! And if it's working for you, kuddos!

Denise in Omaha

• greentoe357
    Original Author
    10 years ago

> Still, I'd try to limit the obsession somewhat, it's not likely to help the Hoyas any ;>)

I know, PG. I am going to generalize and say this is what happens when engineers grow plants. We are used to getting exactly the same result form a "black box" every time if inputs are the same, so growing plants is a new experience. :-)

> With the lights down that close to the plants, how does one ever get a chance to really peruse their plants, admire them, groom them, etc.?

Actually, that shelf (the one with cacti in the picture) is one of the best for that. It's in line of sight when I sit at the desk nearby. The view is much more obstructed with things like rubbermaid greenhouses and bags over some plants that I have to have over winter.

For easier viewing, I tilt some plants pretty significantly - see the fern and the bromeliad on the top shelf here.

• ladylotus
    10 years ago

Greentoe,

I think your questions have been good. It is a great way to learn by asking questions. Unfortunately, I am new to hoyas so I can't answer your questions, but I am learning along with you.

Your plants look so healthy and everything looks so neat. Nice job!

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio
More Discussions