Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
puglvr1

Pubicalyx 'black dragon' not black

puglvr1
9 years ago

My very first 'black dragon' blooms opened today...though I'm not complaining (its a beautiful bloom) it doesn't live up to its name, so I'm a little disappointed :o(...my 'chimera' pubicalyx blooms are much darker actually...it does however smell wonderful!

This post was edited by puglvr1 on Fri, Oct 3, 14 at 10:18

Comments (13)

• greedygh0st
    9 years ago

Yeah⦠Doug's the only one I've heard of to bloom it with black flowers so far, and his blog says he did it under low light conditions. It's a mysteryâ¦

Looks, great, tho!

• summersunlight
    9 years ago

That's a lovely plant but I can see how it would be disappointing if you were expecting flowers like Doug's. Does anyone know where his clone of it came from?
    I am wondering if somewhere along the way, the clone that is now being sold as Black Dragon isn't the same as the one that Doug had which is the real one.

• aurorawa
    9 years ago

From Doug's website:

"The H. pubicalyx âÂÂBlack Dragonâ is not a hybrid. It was collected along the shorelines hanging on a cliff in western part of Luzon Island here in the Philippines. It has itâÂÂs counter part the âÂÂWhite Dragonâ soon to be name H. celata. IâÂÂm glad to know that you like the âÂÂBlack DragonâÂÂ.

He received his cuttings from Joni at SRQ hoyas.

Here is a link that might be useful: Doug's pubicalyx

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks sunshine, GG and Aurora! Its weird since I assumed the Philippines and FL has very similar summer weather...I lived there for several years many moons ago...I was hoping for much darker bloomsl...oh well I'm sure culture, temps, care has a lot to do with it, who knows?

It is a pretty plant GG, thanks!!

Thanks for the link Aurora :o)

Here's My 'Chimera'...with darker blooms...

• teisa
    9 years ago

Wow! That is very Pretty Nancy. It may be that you just get a little too much sun to ever have a dark bloom. Both are gorgeous. Atleast its a plant you know can bloom different colors at different times of the year!

• vermonthoyas
    9 years ago

I just want to clarify that my 'Black Dragon' did not bloom that black most of the time, and only got that dark on a couple of occasions. Most of the time its blooms were no different than most other pubicalyx. I think that the conditions have to be just right to achieve the really dark blooms. Here is a photo of the typical bloom set:

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Teisa! I agree that they are both very pretty and I'm def. not complaining about the blooms,lol...only that I'm disappointed in the color. I absolutely love this black dragon and very grateful to the generous person I got it from :o)

Hi Doug, thanks for letting us know that its not typical of your plant to bloom that dark all the time...its nice to know that I still "might" have a chance to see it...gorgeous blooms no matter what color they are, but something about blooms being almost black makes them rare to me :o)...hope to see it one day!

This post was edited by puglvr1 on Mon, Oct 6, 14 at 8:26

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow!! Hi, Jan...thanks for posting that link...Beautiful dark blooms!

• moonwolf_gw
    9 years ago

Beautiful blooms, Pug!

GG sent me a cutting each of Black Dragon and Pink Dragon, and I saw a while back that when they bloomed for Joni, they were still pretty (pubs are some of my fave Hoyas).

I need RHP/Chimera as well as Pink Silver back in my life. It's going on my list for next growing season for sure. That is, if I have the room for them lol.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Brad!! The bloom is pretty long lasting, I saw it yesterday and its finally slowly withering, not too bad its lasted over 10 days!!

• moonwolf_gw
    9 years ago

You're welcome, Pug! Good to hear that this one blooms for a long time!

I have no blooms to report of, but both carnosa and Mathilde are sprouting new growth like mad! Red Buttons has some new growth as well :).

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio