Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karyn1_gw

Hoya loyceandrewsiana

karyn1
13 years ago

I ordered some asclepiads, including a few hoyas, and this was included in the mix. I didn't order this one and know nothing about it's requirements. All I can see is that the leaves are huge and evidently get can much larger. I figure that I can probably get an answer faster here then if I email the vendor. TIA

Comments (4)

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

Karyn this is a very impressive species when it gets larger. I have a smaller plant and it's not really a fast grower but the leaves are getting quite large already. I believe that this species grows best on the dry side (all Hoyas with thick succulent leaves do) but too dry and the new leaves will abort. When in active growth give more water and when it's not really doing much keep it drier. I grow my plant in bright ligth in a Southern window. I used to have it right up to the glass but have since put up a sheer curtian to help shade some of the more sensitive plants from the direct light.
    I am sure I have an article on this species at home but I am leaving the city for the weekend so I will have to look for it in a couple of days. I believe that this species was "discovered" in an American (Texas) woman's collection and that the collection data etc. may not be known, the plant was named after her, Loyce Andrews.

Mike

• cena60
    13 years ago

Karyn, I would wrassle you to the ground for this one, if it was the only one on the sale table in a local we both just happened to be at...

And if someone slipped it into my order, I'd be over the moon! I live in a very welcoming semi-tropical location that the plant vendors haven't figured out. Most of my hoyas come from trade and gift and I can't find these gems for sale here in southern California!

The reason I am so excited is it is one of the largest varieties of Hoya. Ever. ~sigh~

I hope you grow to love this gem!!! (I'm jealous, can you tell?)

• karyn1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the info. It does look like a nice plant and I like the larger leaf varieties. I'd never heard of this one and didn't find much about it online.

Cena60 if you think that it's hard to find interesting varieties where you are it's next to impossible to find much of anything around here (DC suburbs). 95% of my plants are from DH's suppliers, online vendors and friends in different parts of the country.

• PRO
    Jan Sword-Rossman Realty 239-470-6061
    13 years ago

I have a small one, it's really slow starting plant but I think it's finally growing. The leaves are getting bigger too. I keep mine on the dry side as well but never let it completely dry out.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!