Return to the Hoya Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Never blooming Problem

Posted by teddybear_2009 3 (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 6, 13 at 10:46

I have had a healthy hoya plant for years and it has yet to bloom, grows like crazy and looks so healthy and I have started many plants from it and given away so many to my knowledge non have bloomed, I fertilize it one in a awhile and it faces west in a bright window, I believe the mother plant bloomed years ago when my mother had it.Any help would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Never blooming Problem

West sounds good - is it close to the window? It would probably help if you fertilized regularly. I use both bloom booster and regular fertilizer, one or the other, in every watering, about 1/4 to 1/2 strength first of March through the end of October. Then the other 4 months, I use SuperThrive. I think if you're dilegent about fertilizing, you'll get it to bloom.

Denise in Omaha

o

Many sources say bright indirect light, possibly even full sun for a few hours, is essential for blooming.

Do your hoya leaves get a little maroon/burgundy at the edges? Depending on the kind of hoya, they may do that, and that is a good thing. Seeing a picture would be helpful.

"West" and "bright" is all good, but in zone 3, it may still not be enough to get it to bloom.

o

Sorry I can not post a picture, some of the newer leaves are maroon colored it is a healthy plant and very big lots of new shoots always. I have started many new ones to give away. But I may not be fertilizing properly. I will boost that up . Thanks for your help.

o

I just found out I've had a Hoya for a while now (it was left behind when a neighbour moved, and I only just found out what it is by accident), and that one has never bloomed either. But then, I've been keeping it a bit too dry and dark, which will be remedied soon :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hoya Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here