Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
puglvr1

Hoya australis 'lisa'

puglvr1
10 years ago

One of my most favorite hoyas mostly for the beautiful leaves...its finally budding up! I have appx 12-15 peduncles and at least 12 of them have buds!! I'm pretty excited about this one.

Comments (36)

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Let me the first to say BEAUTIFUL and I hope mine will look that someday...You know the color you get in this one makes up for the color you lack in your jades my friend!!!

So pretty..Thank you for sharing!-)))

MIke

• teisa
    10 years ago

Wow!! That is Gorgeous color ::))

I'm so glad you posted a picture of 'Lisa' in bloom.

Thanks for posting ;) ;) ;)

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Mike and Teisa :o)

Mike, I haven't given up on the pretty colors on my Jades quite yet...will have to wait till we get some colder weather first...maybe by January lol...

I lost my Hummel sunset :o(...I'm trying to find a replacement.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

That is truly incredible, Nancy! Those leaves are amazingly! I've never seen a hoya like this one.

Josh

• moonwolf_gw
    10 years ago

Congrats, Pug! LOVE the leaves!!!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Josh and Brad!!

• Denise
    10 years ago

Beautiful! Are the leaves quite a bit smaller than the standard australis ssp.? I ask because I grow australis ssp. australis albomarginata, and the leaves are substantially smaller than the green form. Just wondering if the same is true of 'Lisa'.

Denise in Omaha

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Denise, I have different size leaves on this hoya...they range any where from 1 1/2"-3 1/2" but most of them are around the 3" range....

I had to google your australis ssp. australis albomarginata, I've never seen one of those before...very pretty!

• jewels66
    10 years ago

Gorgeous!!!!

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Jewel66!

Finally, the buds are starting to open...little black ants or tiny flies have been enjoying the sweet nectar :o)

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another one...

• jewels66
    10 years ago

I purchased one a few months ago and it sits right in front of a NW window. (BTW I am a novice) So far I haven't killed it (LOL) but it also haven't shown any sign of growth. Is it a slow growing Hoya?

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Jewel, mine started out a little slow at first but shortly after that it started to take off...I find australis to be a very fast grower,A year or so ago one of the vines on this plant reverted to all green leaves so I cut that vine off...and planted it in a separate pot...so far I haven't seen another all green vine, knock on wood.

I also have the fuzzy leaf version I think its australis ssp. australis? I will say 'lisa' took a long time to produce peduncles and buds, much slower than my fuzzy leaf version.

I'm sure yours will start growing soon...best of luck!

• jewels66
    10 years ago

Mine isn't fuzzy leafed. I just love the varigation in the leaf. So pretty. Yours with the reddish leaves are absolutely gorgeous. Can you tell me your environment and do you ever fertilize?
    I guess I need to be more patient.

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm sorry if I confused you...my variegated 'lisa' does not have fuzzy leaves ( Hoya 'lisa' has smooth leaves).

I was saying I had a different clone of australis that has fuzzy leaves but its green leaves, not variegated. Here's a picture of the fuzzy one australis ssp. australis

As far as my growing conditions, I grow this one 350+ days a year outside in the shade but bright light (right up against my North windows) outside...I water it when the soil is almost dry and I fertilize every 10 days or so...

• jewels66
    10 years ago

Thanks for clarifying the fuzziness. My mistake. Australis is another beautiful plant. I have one but not sure which one.

I have to grow indoors since I live in the Pacific Northwest of the USA.
    What type of fertilizer do you use?

• teisa
    10 years ago

Pug,

Your 'Lisa' is very pretty! I can't wait for mine to G-R-O-W! It is the only one that hasn't put out new growth, out of all my cuttings! I hope one day it is as beautiful as yours! TFS!

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I use Dyna Gro Foliage Pro or Miracle Grow (blue) I mix in water. I use 1/2 the recommended strength.

Thanks Teisa! I'm sure yours will start to take off soon...

• Denise
    10 years ago

I believe 'Lisa' is a variegated form of ssp. tenuipes, and albomarginata is a variegated form of ssp. australis. It's fuzzy like ssp. australis, but I find the much smaller leaves intriguing. I'll post a photo at the bottom - the smallest leaves are about the size of a nickle, and the largest are just over 1". (I didn't notice the little critter cocoon on one leaf until I looked at the photo...)

Denise in Omaha

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That's a nice looking australis albomarginata Denise! I really like the cute little small leaves...very pretty Hoya!

• rennfl
    10 years ago

Pug, I can understand why it's a favorite, gorgeous leaves and great flowers. I'm debating starting a piece of my regular australis on a tree here. Have you tried a piece outside?

Renee

• Denise
    10 years ago

I don't see the ssp. albomarginata offered anywhere to speak of. I had a kind Florida grower give me mine - someone who had become frustrated with it not growing. It took it a couple years to adjust to our northern climate and this spring, it finally started to grow. Then, lo and behold, in June, I found a little one at my cactus club's show and sale for $5. Of course, I couldn't pass it up, so I brought it home and put it in with my other. They've both grown a lot and I can't wait for another season to see if they might bloom!

Denise in Omaha

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Renee...I've not tried growing 'lisa' in ground, but I did have a rogue vine of Diversifolia root on the ground and grow up on my Oak trees, I gave the Mother plant away as it got too large and was a very stingy bloomer. I eventually had to cut it down as it took over the Oak trees and was twining all over the rest of my Hoya baskets I had growing there...I do NOT like diversifolia and won't be growing another one,lol...I have enough Hoyas growing up my Oak trees now, Pubicalyx and Carnosa have gone all the way up the trees. Last year I did not bring any of these inside even during 30 degrees for a couple of hours since I would have had to cut off the vines :o( Hoping for another milder winter this year!

Here's my RHP climbing up the Oaks,lol...

Denise, keep us posted when you get some blooms, what a find for $5 at your garden club!

• Denise
    10 years ago

And THAT'S what makes us northerner's so envious of you Florida growers! WOW! That's just amazing. I've always said Hoyas are a lot tougher than most people think. I've had them outside into the mid 30's. Of course, they won't be happy if that happens often or for a long period of time, but an occasional night dipping into the 30's when they're sheltered by trees or an overhang seems to be no big deal.

Denise in Omaha

• rennfl
    10 years ago

Pug, love the picture. I think come spring, when the rains start, I'll start a nice piece of australis on a tree I have that gets a lot of sun.

One of these days, we will have to get together for coffee since I'm so much closer now.

Renee

• patrick51
    10 years ago

Gorgeous 'Lisa', Nancy!! I really love the red colours on your plant..mine gets red leaves, but they don't last for long..and my 'Lisa' has never even tried to bloom...the lazy old thing!! Fondly, Patrick

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Denise...I didn't have the heart to cut off those vines growing up the tree (diversifolia I had no problems doing that). Hopefully, the winter will cooperate again this year

Renee, feel free to stop by and get some cuttings...email me if you're ever in the neighborhood :o)

Nice to see you Patrick...Thanks!! My red leaves don't last long either...but I do really love them for the short time they show up.

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Nancy! That picture looks so inviting and warm!
    I love how that Hoya has taken off...Mine is still doing good, The Lias one that is, and oh I have such hope for it because of you:-))))

Many good wishes from us here in good ole Mass..
    By the way, I finally had to bring in ALL my Hosta today..I am so bummed out and crowded out with more Hoya that I thought I had..Sheesh! Feelers and hanging everywhere..I just might get caught up in one hanging from my ceiling and choke to death lol

Mike

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Nancy! That picture looks so inviting and warm!
    I love how that Hoya has taken off...Mine is still doing good, The Lias one that is, and oh I have such hope for it because of you:-))))

Many good wishes from us here in good ole Mass..
    By the way, I finally had to bring in ALL my Hosta today..I am so bummed out and crowded out with more Hoya that I thought I had..Sheesh! Feelers and hanging everywhere..I just might get caught up in one hanging from my ceiling and choke to death lol

Mike

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

" Feelers and hanging everywhere..I just might get caught up in one hanging from my ceiling and choke to death lol "

Lol...I know the feeling Mike :o)... Been there done that!

Thanks... Good luck with all the hauling and organizing your plants inside...I bet you have twice as much now than you did when they went out,lol... Good luck with the hoyas as well!!

• richardiraha12
    7 years ago

Does anyone have a cutting for trade?

• Laurie (8A)
    7 years ago

Puglvr1 that is a beautiful Hoya!

• Bridgett Gooden
    7 years ago

Puglvdg1, that is beautiful!. Where did you get it? I want one... Do you sell cuttings?

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks All!! Hi Laura and Mike, good to see ya!!!!! Best regards!!!

Richard and Bridgett, contact me ( email) is on my contact page...

• tlbean2004
    6 years ago

Pug

How many years did it take to flower?

Sponsored
Maruca Design / Build
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Exceptional Residential Design and Remodeling Services in Fairfax