Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
puglvr1

Hoya darwinii

puglvr1
12 years ago

My very first buds/blooms of Hoya darwinii 'dark form' and thought I would share some pictures with you guys...hope you like them!

Sorry for all the pictures...once I started clicking...I couldn't stop,lol...thanks for looking!

Comments (24)

• mairzy_dotes
    12 years ago

Just beautiful Pug! How long did you have to wait for them? That is one I have never tried. Is the plant hard to maintain? Ones that require high humidity don't do very well here unless I keep them in an aquarium or bathroom, etc. Outside air is very dry here. Amazingly MOST hoya DO OK here though. I think that is why I love them & gave up on ever keeping orchids. Ha.

• RainforestGuy
    12 years ago

Mairzy, have you ever tried to adapt a cutting to growing even in a dry condition? Perhaps adding a saucer of pebbles with pot in it would work for you.
    I had a friend who grew beautiful hoyas in Arizona I thought his place was the driest) and his hoyas did very well.

The darwinii is lovely and shows good growing condition. Try using the Peter's Variegated Violet special food and watch the umbels with even more flowers and more peduncles too!

• marco
    12 years ago

Totally awesome Pug ! They are beautiful and as always, thanks for the perfect pictures.

poseidon

• cpawl
    12 years ago

Pug congratulation on the the beautiful flowers.How big is your plant?

• bama_gardener
    12 years ago

Pug, you take beautiful pictures of the blooms and have such healthy looking plants. Hope mine look that good one day.
    Beverly

• golden_ca_2000
    12 years ago

VERY PRETTY Pug! Does it happen to have any fragrance at all?

• haxuan
    12 years ago

Hi Pug... your hoya blooms look awesome! I wish, I wish...

Xuan

• geosdee
    12 years ago

Pug, absolutely beautiful. What kinda of conditions is it in?

Dee

• suetran1
    12 years ago

I like it very much.
    Thanks

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

Congratulations Pug, what a beauty!

This is a delicate one to root in my experience and both times I have received cuttings from Thailand they rotted very quickly so I have all but given up on this species.

Mike

• eileen44_gardener
    12 years ago

Pug.... Beautiful healthy plant... your pix are just lovely!... thanks Eileen

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you so much everyone! I appreciate the nice comments.

Marcy, I do believe this hoya loves humidity. Mine lives outside for about 10 months a year, I only bring it inside when the winter temps dip below 65 degrees. I've had the plant one year this month, so it bloomed quite early for me.

This hoya is my third try I think? NOT one of the easiest hoya I've grown. This was rooted when I got it from a dear friend...a 3.5" rooted plant and another small newly rooted cutting that I combined together.

Cindy, I'm very happy since this hoyas has grown very nicely so far. I think its in a 6" pot.

Golden, the scent is pretty...sweet but very weak. I literally have to put my nose right up to it to even smell anything, and even then its hardly noticeable.

Mike, I wouldn't even attempt to root this hoya,lol...even the ones I've killed prior to this one was rooted and it still croaked on me :o(...I give all my favorite hoyas 3 tries, and if they still die after the third try, I give up and move on. Guess 3rd time's a charm...but I'll be honest with you...this is one I can't take for granted. I've heard that this one can decline very quickly with little warning...like Sigillatis! So, I'm enjoying it while it last.

Dee, very similar to your climate. Likes it a little moist in the hot months, a little drier in the winter. Doesn't like temps below 65 degrees...so I bring it inside the house at night whenever that happens. I have it in fast draining potting mix w/out Peat (soiless). I Fertilize it "weakly" weekly, it gets NO direct sun but very bright light, although I'm sure it can take our winter sun for an hour or two in the morning. Just not the rest of the year.

RFG, thanks for the recommendation on the fertilizer.

Thanks again!!

• mitzicos
    12 years ago

I have problems to root this one too! But I keep trying and now it is going ok, another one very difficult to me is coriacea, I'm in the fifth try, but keep going anyway.

Does anyone had good luck rooting coriacea?

Mitzi

• mitzicos
    12 years ago

No one?

Mitzi

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Mitzi! I'm sorry I don't grow H. coriacea. I'm betting someone here has it and will be able to help you...good luck!

• mitzicos
    12 years ago

Hi puglvr1,

Thank you for your response, I hope someone can help me.

Mitzi

• geosdee
    12 years ago

Hi Mitzi,

I grow H. coriacea. I grow mine in chunky mix and have it in very bright sunlight but not full sun. I also never let it dry out. Hasn't bloomed but I have only had it about a year. Hope this helps.

Dee

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago

Thanks for sharing, Nancy! I love the pics!
    Oh, these opened flowers sort of remind me of pink teeth, plucked and standing...

Josh

• mitzicos
    12 years ago

Hi geosdee,

Thank you very much for your information, but my problem is rooting this specie, I tried 4 times and never rooted. I would like to know if coriacea is a difficult one.

Thanks a lot

Mitzi

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Josh! Lol...I love your "pink teeth" description ;o)

Mitzi, I knew someone here would stop by to help...

• rennfl
    12 years ago

Pug, great pictures and lovely flowers.

Although, I think I'll stay away from this one for a while lol

Renee

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Renee! I don't blame you...I have a few hoyas I have issues with. H. chlorantha is one I can't seem to grow if my life depended on it,lol...all the cuttings or newly rooted cuttings I've tried seem to decline for me very quickly. Maybe it just doesn't like FL weather?

• geosdee
    12 years ago

Hi Mitzi,

I didn't find this one a difficult one to root, I just had to keep it on the moist side.

Dee

• mitzicos
    12 years ago

Hi everybody,

My darwinii was doing so good, but suddenly it lost its leaves, although the stem still green. I wonder to know what happen.

I'm thinking that the reason is our infernal summer, the temperatures are around 35 celcius outside and I suppose around 40 Celcius inside the apartment.

Do they support such a hot climate? I'm having problems with some other plants due to this horrible heat!

This one was so difficult to me to root, I'm so sad with my losses....... anyway it is very difficult, even for us, to survive in this horrible hot summer! Praying for cooler days!!!!

Mitzi

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville