Return to the Hoya Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hoya Kerri disease

Posted by rumbum 9 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 1, 13 at 11:21

My sweetheart Hoya is not looking so good. The disease appears to be moving upwards from the roots since the top of the plant looks fine. The leaves will spot then turn yellow and fall off. I've owned this plant for a couple years and have not repotted it. It is in a mix of sphagnum and bark and in a orchid pot (the kind with holes all over). I have also lost one other Hoya with completely different growth medium in a similar manner a few months ago. I don't know if it's a disease or coincidence. What do you think?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hoya Kerri disease

I would cut it above the bad leaves and restart it. I'm not really sure what the problem is - your climate is enough different from mine, it could be something I'm completely unfamiliar with. Although I will say that I've seen a leaf here and there that gets similar splotching or pitting. But it's usually isolated and I suspect it's more about damage than disease.

I will also add that I would have a hard time growing kerrii in the mix you are using. Kerrii, for me, is a water guzzler and dries out FAST, and even in my climate, I think it would be hard to keep it watered enough. I would go to a heavier mix. I use 2 parts coir and 1 part perlite, but you could also use an all-purpose mix with either added perlite or the orchid bark.

Best of luck with your kerrii.

Denise in Omaha

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hoya Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here