Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
abigail1280

Hoya Multiflora

abigail1280
13 years ago

I have been doing some research online and I've seen so many different answers that I thought I would post on here and see what everyone says. I'm about to purchase a Hoya Multiflora cutting, and I've never rooted a hoya before. I'm curious as to what method I should use, what type of container, a good location, and other advice.

Also, I have a screened-in porch that was just finished last week and I had moved my hoyas out there. They seemed pretty happy. My publycalix has grown almost 12" since I put it out there. It has been in the upper 80s and lower 90s here with humidity at almost 100%, but now after Nicole came through here yesterday and dumped about 20" of rain on us, the temp has dropped into the 70s. How cold is too cold to leave them out there? And is it best to just bring them in and leave them, or can I move them in and out? I don't really think our hot days are over with. I've seen it in the 90's here in December..but I don't want to lose any of my hoyas either.

Comments (15)

• luckylittlebug
    13 years ago

Regarding the Multiflora cuttings - I've read in many threads that they can take months to root, especially in the winter time without the use of bottom heat, but I just got 2 cuttings not even a month ago and I noticed the beginnings of roots on both of them a couple of days ago. I didn't do anything too special to get them to put out roots. I didn't crush the stems. I'm not using bottom heat. All I did was dip the ends in rooting powder and placed them in a large vase of water 4" away from an East facing window. One of the cuttings is setting buds (for a second time - the first buds blasted)

Regarding moving the plants and taking them in for the season...I will let someone with conditions akin to yours answer that. Once I take mine in (here in Massachusetts) they are in for good and I take them in when there are 2 consecutive nights in a row that reach 55 degrees or below & my plants are ok with that. I think it's when they receive blow after blow, night after night of cold weather that they die.

• abigail1280
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ok, thanks for this advice. I've read of using colored glass and rocks in the bottom as well... if anyone has any comments on this. Do they need to be a certain distance from the window? My best options would either be an east facing window, or a west facing window with filtered light.

• jlt37869
    13 years ago

Hi Abigail,

First of all, congrats on your new porch ,,, sounds nice!!

I'll let others comment on your rooting question, but as far as temps. I'm in GA and I still have several hoyas outside ,,, and will for awhile yet. However, I believe these are all "cold" varieties (see link for some hoya temp tolerances listed on SRQ's website). I try to get them inside before nights consistently drop in the low 50's and no back and forth (they are only moved twice a year, spring out and fall in).

Good luck with your Multi.

Jennifer

Here is a link that might be useful: Temp List

• PRO
    Jan Sword-Rossman Realty 239-470-6061
    13 years ago

I root all my hoyas in the soil. Multiflora loves water so it should root just fine. They also flowers often and at a young age.

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

Because Hoya multiflora has such large thin leaves they can make rooting a problem in low humidity environments. I always mist my multiflora cuttings if they look stressed or dehydrated, just something to watch for. I found this species slow to root and I recently gave a friend a cutting of an older portion of my plant and it failed to root at all.

Mike

• cpawl
    13 years ago

Hi abigail
    I'm a bit surprised to read so many comments that multiflora is hard to root.I have rooted many cuttings to give away to my moms friends.They all seem to like this hoya.I root this hoya in water with bottom heat in the cooler months.This hoya roots on the bottom of the cutting only.Good luck with your new cuttings.

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

Cindy do you find that old woody growth is harder to root? The piece I gave to my friend was old/woody and I wonder if a younger portion of the plant may have been a better choice?

Mike

• cpawl
    13 years ago

Hi Mike
    I have rooted both new and old with out any problems.I used to root multiflora in my mix but found it did take a long time to root.The water method in the summer months only take a week to 10 days but in the winter months it can take up to a month.
    Did your friend try to root the cutting in soil or water?

Cindy

• sewnmom7
    13 years ago

Cindy, tried to send you a personal message, but no e-mail address. have a ? or two for you.. thanks ahead, molly----sewnmom7@yahoo.com

• abigail1280
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone for all of the information. So, for the bottom heat, what do you all use? Could I put it on top of the fridge? My refrigerator is about 3 feet from my kitchen window.

I guess I'm moving all of my plants inside this weekend. Tuesday, we're supposed to have lows in the 40s, though I wouldn't be surprised if it warmed up again.

• rennfl
    13 years ago

I have a plant from this group, not sure exactly which one it is, but I took a couple cuttings a few weeks ago. It took about a week to start rooting in S/H. And they have now started growing as well.

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

I will to try water rooting some cuttings. Thanks Cindy/everyone for the tip. I always root Hoya cuttings right in the potting mix so I would probably not have tried water.

Mike

• debbie_ny
    13 years ago

My experience with the multiflora has been that the newer, greener growth grows very well in either water or soil with rooting hormone....the woodier older stems though don't seem to do well in any scenario.....

• abigail1280
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Just thought I'd let everyone know I received my multiflora cuttings today!

Also, after having my heat on for the last two days, I turned the a/c back on today, as it reached almost 90F here today. So far, none of my plants seem upset by the move.

• teisa
    13 years ago

Very nice Kimberly! I hope it roots for you quickly. I'll send you an email tonight.

-Tess