Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lalla62

hoya's show

lalla62
12 years ago

and finally , these are some of my hoyas .....

callistophylla

Obscura

chingungensis

globulosa

Australis Lisa

Macgillivrayi

Pachyclada

Retusa

Sigillatis

Waymaniae

to be continued...

Comments (26)

• RainforestGuy
    12 years ago

I think you could use more light. Higher intensity and with more red-ultraviolet spectrum

• lalla62
    Original Author
    12 years ago

oh i know it.....but i am not so organized...

recently in the house....

• cpawl
    12 years ago

Very nice hoyas you have.You have a nice collection started.

RFG not every one lives in an area that gets sun year round.Like I live on the west coast of Canada and I might not see the sun until next spring so telling people to give ones plant more sun might not be possible.A lot of us use extra grow lights but its still not the same as good old sun.

• lalla62
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thank you cpawl, it is true,now in the autumn daylight hours are reduced.....
    i do not use extra grow lights... i wait the good
    old sun....

i will be shot for this???

• bama_gardener
    12 years ago

lalla, you have a nice variety of hoyas. You are not the only one who doesn't use grow lights. I tend to rely on natural/sunlight for all of my plants, but I am fortunate enough to live where we sometimes have too much sunshine. and of course you will not be "shot" for this!!!lol
    Beverly

• gennykins
    12 years ago

Very nice - love your callistophylla!

Lisa

• lalla62
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thank you bama, here in italy is a fine climate,but now temperatures are low and hoyas now are in my house...
    less light.....

thank you genny, i still love callstophylla,she is easy to growe....

• geosdee
    12 years ago

Very nice collection you have ther Lalla. If I may ask where in Italy do you live. I lived in Aviano years ago

Dee

• Denise
    12 years ago

I'd never seen the chinghungensis before and went looking for photos when I saw yours. What a neat looking Hoya! Reminds me of Dischidia ruscifolia with all those little heart-shaped leaves. But I do notice in the photos I found that the leaves are much more compact, so a question. Do you grow it very close to the glass? And what exposure do you grow it in? I also wonder about houses with new windows - I have a friend who got new windows in her house a few years ago. They sold her on glass that had something in it that reduced the kind of rays that would fade her furniture and cut down on heat gain. She isn't a real plant person, but she'd been growing a nice Crown of Thorns I gave her and it suddenly quit blooming. But I also wondered if these windows may also cause plants to grow leggy. Does anyone know anything about these windows?

Denise in Omaha

• mitzicos
    12 years ago

The leaves of callistophylla are so nice, I just loved it!

Denise I was considering to protect my plants with insulfilm, which is a film to protect against rays (UVA/UVB)because the exposure to the sun against the glass caused several burns on the leaves before, but I'm not sure if they are recommended for this usage (plants)! So does anyone knows about that?

Mitzi

• mairzy_dotes
    12 years ago

My windows to the west have that film or something on them or in them that blocks sun. I don't know what it is as they were that way when I moved here, but I hate it because it never cleans up right with Windex or anything. Always leaves a smudged look in places. However, it does let the sun in but it is a bit milder and you can see through it just fine. I have had plants bloom there in spite of it though. kanyakumariana did & memoria too. Also lacunosa blooms there quite well.

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Very NICE hoyas Lalla!! You have a great selection.
    Thanks for sharing some pictures with us.

• lalla62
    Original Author
    12 years ago

geosdee, i live in bari, puglia, south of italy....do you know??

denise, originally chingungensis was included in dischidia genus...
    after included in hoya...
    i hope it prefers cool climate, but i am getting to know it,i will tell you over time.
    i do not know this protective film for windows.

tanks you pug, is a pleasure for me!!!

• RainforestGuy
    12 years ago

Try using mylar sheets coverings to reflect the light and make use of it. Oddly many other growers do this effortless and it really helps. I know of other plants like nepenthes that people grow all year around in the basement and have never ever saw real sunlight in a day. To grow plants effectively one must constantly adapt, modify and research. Today you can save further by growing them under LED grow lights. Imagine a bulb lasting for ten years and the wattage quite low. You can add the LED's up to maximum capacity and still not pay as much as a single tube or bulb.
    A friend of mines grows nepenthes in his closet all year around with excellent color and growth. I find growing plants in less than favorable growing conditions makes you be as creative as can be.
    Those that don't go beyond the grow-light tubes never see the light!

• Ament
    12 years ago

RFG it might also help if you didn't always come off as such a know it all smart aleck maybe be a bit more friendly, instead of so standoffish. Seems to me you're always telling nearly everyone their hoyas need more light.

I've never seen a post from you where you were chatting in a friendly hello, how are you doing kind of manner. Personally, I know I respond better to a friendly person than to someone who acts like their a know it all. Truly dislike that, even if they do know more than I do, they don't have to flaunt it by being the south end of a north bound mule. :)

~Tina

• ima_digger
    12 years ago

Mike happens to be a 'know it all'. He's hybridized hoya for many years. Maybe it's his culture or language that makes his posts seem that way. I appreciate all his information. If it bothers you the way he tries to help us, then just ignore his posts.

• RainforestGuy
    12 years ago

"RFG it might also help if you didn't always come off as such a know it all smart aleck maybe be a bit more friendly, instead of so standoffish. Seems to me you're always telling nearly everyone their hoyas need more light."

I don't see how offering advice can be smart-alicky or standoffish. I don't like to beat around the bush with candy-coated talk. I have more important things to do than this. I offer advice where a simple solution can be obtained.

You won't ever see me chatting in a how do you do kind of gibberish, so forget it! Everyone else offers this, enjoy it where you can. This is a place to offer suggestions for help or offer some suggestions which can be easily done or sometimes people say that makes a lot of sense, why didn't I think about it. Sometimes you just have to deliver the pun, instead of expressing that the rain in Spain falls mainly in the plains. Everyone else can offer that and that's fine. Just don't expect this from me.
    Yes, oddly everyone can always gripe about their hoyas not growing or not flowering or not this and that. I'll be the one to just say it bluntly, this is what you need and if you do it, the problem will be resolved. You don't have to do anything I say, just know that there is a simple solution, been growing for over 30 years and if I can offer any shortcuts, I'll just post it. Nope sorry no how do you do's with my time is too valuable for chit chat.

Any future person who will be seeking some valuable information on how to do this or that definitely won't want to read all the chit chat about how your plants are doing, they want to see the solution, the answer page on the next post. That is what you will find if researching the answers or solutions on any of my posts. No weather report from me, just the facts and solutions to daily dilemmas.

Sorry if it seems a bit standoffish, I just want to present the facts of the matter.Not the coffee clatter associated with this.

• eileen44_gardener
    12 years ago

Lalla!... beautiful pictures of your lovely collection... I especially love the callistophylla!... very lovely leaves!... Is "she" an easy one to grow? Wouldn't mind adding her to my rapidly growing collection!..

As for the windows discussed here, I have had them installed in my house (the one I just sold) about 10 years ago and I've always had plants growing in front of them... blooming AVs, cactus and most recently, my surprise... my h. carnosa!.. so I don't think they will present any problems? Just my experience.

RFG.. I appreciate your expertise... w/o the social banter... which I also enjoy from those who participate!... please keep sharing your knowledge... we can all benefit... Eileen in Vermont

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

Sorry Ima,

But you appear to be the only one who knows anything about him. Never says who he is, where he grows, what he grows, or offer any credentials to back up any of this knowledge.

Also, we're not necessarily asking for his help. He's inserted himself into existing conversations. We're not all 'griping' as he put it, rather having conversations & discussions. We are not all broken & in need of his fixing.

I am at this Hoya forum since it as started & we were fine w/out him, we'll be fine after he's gone.

He burst in in July to another GW forum making grand statements & ruffling lots of feathers. If not outright disinvited, he was certainly warned about his manner of postings.

I will say from what I've seen here lately, he's been brusque & blunt, rather than overtly offensive by engaging in disallowed behaviours.

• cpawl
    12 years ago

Pirate Girl,He has told us his name in one of the other posts and its Michael Miyashiro in case you would like to know.After you called him a troll I went and looked on the other forums and found him a bit forward but he also was not treated very nice either.I do find some of what he writes a bit rough and it would be nice if he was able to say things a bit nicer.
    I have found that sometimes when a group of people have been together on a forum or what ever for a while it is hard for new people to join in if they are not super bubbly and chatty.I do find this sort of back and forth a bit trying so I will not be reading this thread.

Cindy

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

From someone who is serious about Hoyas it took only a few posts to know RFG's identity. I have to say that I am glad to have him here and I also respect that he may not want to publicly identify himself.
    I am a relative newcomer to the world of Hoyas but I am eager to learn all I can. Having a veteran grower and hybridizer around to offer their knowledge can only be a benefit. By discussing these plants we learn about them and sometimes that means challenging what we thought we knew.

Mike

• lalla62
    Original Author
    12 years ago

grazie mike, but this morning i see little cutting more yellow!!!
    i do not think it will live...

i will read your link to my knowledge.

• mairzy_dotes
    12 years ago

Which cutting is turning yellow. I would take it out and look to see if it started to root or is rotting. If the stem is rotting and soft, you are probably right. If the stem still looks good, rince it off and start over by putting it in pure perlite in a small cup with good holes in the bottom. Water it in and put it into a ziplock bag or other means of keeping it in a humid environment (aquarium or plastic container works too). You can poke a small hole in the bag for some air or leave the lid just ajar a tiny bit on the container. Then sit it into good light (not sun), and leave it alone for a week or so. It may be OK yet. If you see it drying out..water. If it stays moist..do NOT water.

• lalla62
    Original Author
    12 years ago

oh mairzy!!!! grazie!!!

but my cutting is dead!!!

it was so easy to rooted, now is so easy to dead...

naturally, this morning, i have cheched roots , were dryed.

i do not know what is happening,but in one week i have lost

a curtisii rooted cutting and this retusa....

with these 2 hoyas there is no feeling..... but i love them so mutch!!!

• mairzy_dotes
    12 years ago

Don't feel too bad, nothing is 100%. You are doing OK with what you have done with your plants. Rooting is very iffy at best. Just shrug it off as a learning experience and try something else. Wait until spring/summer to try more cuttings. You will have better success then.

• lalla62
    Original Author
    12 years ago

mairzy, i know i must wait..... but i do not wait next summer!!!

i am very sorry when somethig dies!!!

i have already found a seller from german.
    he has beautiful plants,and a good price!!!

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio