Houzz Logo Print

Comments (16)

• wrynsmom
    14 years ago

I have NO IDEA, but it's beautiful!!!

Carolyn

• mdahms1979
    14 years ago

That is Hoya pachyclada, one of the more succulent species from a dry area of Thailand. Hoya subquintuplinervis is a close relative that has many similar characteristics. There is apparently also a hybrid that is being sold as these plants but the blooms appear to have a reddish pigment in the center of the flowers.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful:

• theplanthoarder
    14 years ago

They have them at gardino's for $8, I am gonna have to buy one. :)

• Denise
    14 years ago

Am I missing something? It looks to me like (and the blog says that it's) kerrii. Am I not seeing the one you're referring to? The link took me to a blog that shows kerrii...

Denise in Omaha

• PRO
    Jan Sword-Rossman Realty 239-470-6061
    14 years ago

Mike, my pachyclada looks kind of different then the photo. Is it because mine hangs down?
    Denise, scroll down to see the hoya in question.

• Denise
    14 years ago

Oh, ok. I guess since he wasn't specific about it being one further down, I didn't continue to scroll past the kerrii. That's a nice one - just got one myself from Gardino's, but it hasn't grown for me yet.

Denise in Omaha

• cpawl
    14 years ago

Jan I have been told, that some vendors give the plant some sort of chemical to stunt the growth to look like this. I have never seen this hoya look like way. Mine all grow down.

Cindy

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

I agree...why is that Pacyclada's growth habit so different than all the others I've seen? It looks more like a Succulent the way it is growing. I wonder if it has something to do climate, (sun) high light or something else? I really like how close together the leaves are...almost stacked like small pancakes. Very cool. I want one jut like that!

• PRO
    14 years ago

I love the way it look too. Maybe I should experiment on growing with more sun, less water, clip it up right.

• mdahms1979
    14 years ago

I think that it really depends on how we grow our plants. In nature these Hoyas go through a period of hot and dry weather which is why they have developed their succulent traits. Most growers are not going to grow their plants this way an the plants won't complain although their growth habit will certainly reflect the pampered life they receive. I would also assume that the plant in question was grown in very high light because of the closely set leaves. The red margins of the leaves make me wonder if this is not in fact Hoya subquintuplinervis?

Xuan do you still have that photo of your Hoya pachyclada growing outside on the old tree stump? If I remember correctly that plant had an upright growth habit.

Mike

• cpawl
    14 years ago

http://www.greenculturesg.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=19589

This is the Singapore hoya forum that talks about this hoya and the growth retardant and what hoya this might be.I hope the link works

cindy

• PRO
    14 years ago

Hey Cindy, thanks for posting the link. Very interesting!

• mdahms1979
    14 years ago

That is pretty neat. I wonder if this growth inhibitor is commonly used on nursery succulents or caudex forming plants to get them to look more compact?
    Thanks for the link Cindy.

Mike

• cpawl
    14 years ago

Jan and Mike you are very welcome.

Cindy

• treelover3
    14 years ago

I have attached an article from one of Chris Burton's PS The Hoyan, that says that most of the plants being sold as H. pachyclada are actually Hoya subquintuplinervis and I would guess that is the reason for the difference in the look of the leaves and the growth habit of plants we have labeled as H. pachyclada. I purchased H. pachyclada from Gardino's and I'm pretty sure it's Hoya subquintuplinervis, based on Chris' description.

Anyone else that has H. pachyclada from Gardino's, what do you think?
    Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: PS The Hoyan

• PRO
    14 years ago

Mike, mine came from Gardino's. I think it is pachyclada.
    I have REd/white pachyclada from Asiatica, I thought it was
    Hoya subquintuplinervis but growing habits almost same as my pachyclada.

Sponsored