Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
esther_b

Hoya curtisii not doing well

esther_b
12 years ago

I have a Hoya curtisii planted in a pot which is in a lizard terrarium. It gets light from a 25W incandescent bulb less than 12" from it plus a fluorescent tube. I water it about once a week. I've had it for a few months. It seems to be losing leaves which dry up, and it's not growing.

What can I do to save this attractive little plant?

Comments (8)

• lalla62
    12 years ago

hi ester, i have got hoya curtisii too...
    it is a very difficult specie to grow.
    mine is near a light window,often wet, hot temperatures....but has difficult in raising.
    leaves are thin and wrinkled and i do not know what to do.

i cannot tell you much more.....

• RainforestGuy
    12 years ago

Esther. curtisii is an epiphytic species, it hates wet feet.
    Grow this in a smaller pot and crowd it with multiple cuttings in it. Either allow it to hang , although it prefers to climb onto a support (i.e. red wood stakes, totems, etc.) They also grow very well around a slab of fern fiber chunk. I used to skewer small fern chunks onto a heavy galvanized wire (like a kabob ) very tightly packed together and on the bottom, curve a "U' so the chunks won't fall off and another "U" at te top to hang it with. Use sphagnum moss with rooted cuttings at the base, tie around with a mesh fabric (plastic, even plastic chicken wire works well) and secure this to the bottom, allow the cuttings to grow upright and tie stems to fern chunk kabob and soon this species will be clambering everywhere vigorously. Add a nylon stocking bag with osmocote at the top wire and water and allow bag to drip into fern chunks. These will grow for many many years into beautiful specimens.
    Hoya imbricata also grows very well in this manner too!

• cpawl
    12 years ago

This hoya has very shallow roots.The first thing I did when I got my curtisii was tip it out of its pot and knock off about half of the bottom of the dirt and replace this amount with leca.This keeps her feet very dry.It did get some yellow leaves and it was under a bit of stress of a while but now it is growing like crazy.I have also found this hoya like light.

Cindy

• esther_b
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I have the hoya planted very shallowly in a pot, and originally had it started up a support. The part of the plant on the support dried up and died. I don't overwater it, its shallow roots are quite near the surface. Perhaps Rainforest Guy would be so good as to post a DIAGRAM of his set-up, because I found it very hard to imagine his described setup.

• RainforestGuy
    12 years ago

I'll post one of these fern chunk kabobs soon. Its easy and is excellent for any epiphytic mounting. I mostly use mine for growing difficult to grow staghorn ferns like ridleyi and madagascariense.

But these can be applied to hoyas easily.

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

Orchid nurseries often sell tree fern plaques but you need good humidity to grow on them unless you want to be constantly tending to your plant. Tree fern mounts dry from all sides so it's important to completely wet all surfaces when you water.
    Cork bark with a pad of sphagnum moss works well but still mounted plants need daily watering and at times (hot temps) multiple times each day for best growth.

If you have never grown a mounted plant you might be best to start with some cuttings and see how you like this method.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Check for orchid supplies

• smurfyplants
    12 years ago

I'm also having trouble with my curtisii since bringing it in for the winter. I'm going to follow the advice to knock away the extra soil, as i know that wet feet started the problem. Any suggestions on how to best root cuttings of this species? I may clip some of the viable strands that are left in case I lose the parent plant. Looking forward to the tree fern mount pics and any other info you can offer, i'm desperate to save this plant!

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

There is a photo of Hoya curtisii growing on tree fern in the link below. Remember you have to really pay attention to watering when you grow mounted plants. Having a terrarium etc is useful if you are growing indoors with heat during the winter. Some people take the mount and soak plant and all in a bucket for a bit before hanging it back up just to be sure it's nice and wet all the way through.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Hoya curtisii on Dischidia.com