Return to the Hoya Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should I be concerned?

Posted by lovinglifeinoh none (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 5, 13 at 12:41

I just received my first hoya plants, which I purchased online. To my disappointment, two of them have spots on their leaves (please see photos). Pubicalyx Royal Hawaiian Purple has more spots, Carnosa Tricolor has couple spotted leaves. Otherwise they seem to be healthy. Since I am not very experienced, I would appreciate if you could help me out here - should I be concerned? Should I cut these leaves off? Or should I return the plants altogether?

Also, all three hoyas were planted in simple plastic containers. The are little bit "wobbly" in their pots, not firmly planted. The potting soil seems to be quite loose around their roots. Would it be safe to repot them (I would like to repot them in clay pots) or should I leave them alone at least until spring? Or until root-bound?

We used to have a hoya plant in our home when I was growing up. I remember how large it grew on a sunny window and how it bloomed. This memory (and many of your posts here!) made me to want to have my own little hoya collection :) I do want to do things right, though, from the very beginning. Thank you in advance for advice!

Ok, it seems I'm only allowed to post one picture. I'll post Tricolor picture in another post.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should I be concerned?

Leaves are not always perfect. A lot depends on where they came from, too. Were they grown outside? If so, there are SO many things that can cause leaf damage. Anything from a peck by a bird to wind blowing something into the leaf and bruising it. And even for us mostly indoor growers, we have imperfect leaves, too. Let your plant grow and see how it does. I'm betting everything will be fine.

I always repot my new Hoyas because I know how to water with MY mix, whereas someone else's mix might be quite different.

Denise in Omaha

o
RE: Should I be concerned?

1 leaves; as Denise noted depends of growing conditions, all mine are grown outside, so a lot of damage caused by bugs, rain, wind a bit too much of sun or a squirrels using my pots as a pantry! None-less, although not perfect my plants are healthy and look like hoyas in the wild! ;)
2 pots; I guess it's personal preference and conditions. I have only couple in clay, rest in plastic pots. With 90 degree temperatures clay just goes dry way to fast, and watering 30 pots 4 times a week is just to much!
3 soil; loose soil is good, check archives, hoyas need fast drying airy soil. It is loose most likely due to shipping.
Repoting is up to you, that soil worked for grower who sent you plants, it may work (or not) in your conditions. If you have personal favorite mix you use for other plants, go for it, for sure I would not repot into some standard peat based mix from the store, and keep them in the same size pots unless root bound.
AS always it is my opinion, it works for me in my conditions!

Good luck with your plants!

Aggie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hoya Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here