hoya lobbii

hoya glabra

compacta

Comments (13)

• peanut01
    12 years ago

Thanks for sharing!!!

I love the glabra.

Purpureo fusca causes a lot of confusion, since a common variety is sometimes sold with this name.

My lobbii looked just like yours when I started it. It had lighter pale spots like yours. Once it established a little more the light spots went away.

Which australis is that btw???

-David

• marco
    12 years ago

Very nice hoyas lalla, I have a compacta about that same size as yours. You have very beautiful plants, thank you for showing them to us.

ciao, poseidon

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Beautiful Hoyas Lalla!! Is that a cute little "lady bug" on one of your Obovata leaf? Super cute!! Great job growing your hoyas, very healthy!

I can't wait for my Australis to bloom one day...still waiting! Congrats on your pretty blooms.

• lalla62
    Original Author
    12 years ago

oh grazie david!!!
    i hope it is purpureo fusca,the seller assured me...

australis sp australis...i have still tenuipes.

poseidon grazie to you,has your compacta never flowering??
    this mine, never.

• marco
    12 years ago

lalla, my compacta is longer than yours, little bit. It almost died when I bought it 2 years ago. This year, I take out of my house and put on patio outside, now it grow very fast like weed ! But sorry, no buds yet. I do not see any penduncle either. Maybe it surprise me ?? I hope so, I love this one so much.

poseidon

• RainforestGuy
    12 years ago

The purpureo-fusca needs a good amount of light to flower. Most of the palmately veined leaf types are full sun growers in habitat and you will never see them growing in forests or among trees. It's almost like Mother Nature herself planted them there as they are devoid of these in areas with trees and very common exposed to bright light conditions around rocks, dead trees and cliff areas.
    These do apear to be grown in optimal lighting, yet hoyas are sun lovers and the more the merrier for these.
    The lobbii shows some kind of bacterial or viral infection. It isn't amazing since so many of the hoyas that have been circulating around has been cutting grown and transmission of viruses has probably set in by now. Growing hoyas in optimal growing conditions allows them to overcome the symptoms of the disease even though still present in their system.
    Keep them well fed, well lighted and actively growing and you'll see less evidence of the disease.

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

Nice Hoyas Lalla62.

Your Hoya glabra looks to be either Hoya macrophylla or polystachya. It looks quite a lot like the Hoya Paul Shirley sells as Hoya polystachya.

RFG I have a Hoya cinnamomifolia (var. cinnamomifolia) which some would argue is simply another colour form of Hoya cinnamomifolia var pupureo-fusca. I grow my plant in very bright light and it has been slowly getting lighter coloured leaves as well as slightly stressed as is apparent because of some red spotting. I recently moved this plant to less light, simply bright light but without the direct sun it was getting. Now I wonder if perhaps I was too quick to move it. There is a peduncle but the plant is still only a cutting so not growing reliably yet.

It is quite obvious that some plants bloom best when under stress, others perhaps only bloom when stressed by high light, lack of water or cool night temps. I had recently read a comment about Hoya cinnimomifolia growing best without direct sun so I had attributed the stress response I was seeing to conditions that were too bright. One of the older leaves actually turned yellow and dropped which is what prompted me to move the plant. I was growing my plant in about 3 hours of direct South/West sun although it was several feet form the glass and in slightly less light than many of my other Hoyas.

Mike

• RainforestGuy
    12 years ago

If you grow hoyas in extreme conditions, all other variables must increase. More light, more nutrients, more phosphorus (the palmately veined species need high phosphorus) this can also aid the plant in giving it a "sunscreen" against bright sunlight. Could the peduncle be the result of being exposed to bright light? Plants in the wild (that grow in scorching sunlight) have extra long peduncles from constant bloom cycles. Their leaves may not be the attractive leaves we seek, but so many species we know of as having "pretty" leaves are actually in disguise of what they are seeking.
    Other factors also affect the palmately leafed species in ways that other hoya groups have no experiences for.
    Have you ever experienced red "ring-spot" pits in your leaves?
    The red blotches you have witnessed on your palmately veined leafed types is an odd symbiotic _______ (blue-green algae-lichen-like, fungus, >???) not sure what it is, but this should not be taken as a sign of disease or something wrong as this red blotches is commonly seen in the wild.
    This fungus or what ever it is is internal and this prevents this species from being tissue cultured as the symbiotic ______ contaminates the sterile medium. I have only experienced this kind of internal contamination in nepenthes who also have this kind of symbiotic relationship with a fungus.

• lalla62
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thanks pug, is a false bug lady on my obovata....put on my daughter.....

don't warry, australis is easy to grow and florish...patience, only.

ciao ciao!!

• lalla62
    Original Author
    12 years ago

RFG, why do you say lobbii has bacterial or virale infection??

from what you see it??

what can i do??

thanks.

• rennfl
    12 years ago

lalla your australis is beautiful.

RFG - thanks for the info.

Renee

• tlbean2004
    8 years ago

Marco, do you still have that compacta?

Sponsored