Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lalla62

birthday gift....

lalla62
12 years ago

on 23 october was my birthday and i decided to make a present to me.

what???

this...

hoya retusa

flowers

love calycina!!

bellissime foglie! beautiful leafs!!!

it's flower stalk

and now please help me keep these hoyas alive.

thank you!!

Comments (23)

• Denise
    12 years ago

Lucky Lala! Where did you get that retusa? Beautiful!

Denise in Omaha

• bama_gardener
    12 years ago

Happy belated Birthday, lalla. You have some lovely hoyas and quite a wide selection! Congratulations on your new retusa. Nice blooms.
    Beverly

• mairzy_dotes
    12 years ago

Now that's a Happy Birthday hoya if I ever saw one. My B-day was the 21st, but I didn't get anything like that. However, if I would have FOUND something like that, you KNOW I would have been singing the Happy b-Day song to myself at once. LOL

• lalla62
    Original Author
    12 years ago

grazie denise, i bought retusa on ebay from a germany lady.
    she has beautiful hoyas and accettble prices...
    blatt-kakteen_de ( 6865) this is link.

beverly thank you for happy birtday,even if it is past enjoy for me!!

mairzy,we have to celebrate in the best manner...what better than hoyas???

now i only hope to be able to groow well

if any of you have to give lots advices, i glady accept

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

Both are very nice but the retusa in bloom is a nice surprise. Happy Birthday!

Mike

• lalla62
    Original Author
    12 years ago

grazie mike, i am happy for my hoyas!!!

• klyde
    12 years ago

Oh lalla what a lovely little retusa! So that's what I have to look forward to. Very nice! That is just one of the best dang birthday presents ever (next to wool socks :) Happy Birthday!

• eileen44_gardener
    12 years ago

Happy belated birthday Lalla!...I love the retusa!... should put that one on my wish list. I love how there are many flowers all over it!... I too had an October b'day... the 12th!... I have purchased several hoyas in the past 2 mos... so I'd say that would have to be my gifts to me!... and Marcy... happy birthday to you as well!... Eileen in Vermont

• Hera
    12 years ago

Buon compleanno in ritardo Lalla!

I laughed a lot when I saw the topic :) I think all of us are same, past week I also wanted to order a few plants from Thailand so that I could receive them as my birthday (today) gift to myself. Due to floods in there, I had to postpone that with regret; however I will receive some cuttings from my hoya-friends here - so I am just happy too :))

Hope those plants will live with you for long years and make you happy with many flowers!

• lalla62
    Original Author
    12 years ago

eileen thank you and buon compleanno to you for 12 october...!!!

always gift, hoyas for ever!!!

hera!!!happy birthday to youuuu!!!!
    auguriiii!!!

you can defer hoyas from thailand,in this spring we can change if you want!!!

ciao e grazie!!

• eileen44_gardener
    12 years ago

Thank you lalla! hoyas as gifts... wonderful idea!

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Happy Belated Birthday to both Lalla and Mairzy!

I'm definitely on board with Hoyas as birthday gifts! It cracked me up that Renee's mom doubted the sincerity of her wish to receive a SRQ gift certificate (here) because I definitely treat myself to plant(s) every birthday.

I have yet to receive a plant as a present, though. (Present company excluded!!) My family is seriously slacking! ^_~

• lalla62
    Original Author
    12 years ago

buongiorno!!!! are you sleeping????

up up up!!!!!

a question for you:

do you remember my retusa on photo here???

ok...

i have seen she has a disgusting soil,stiky,rubbery,it holds water,no drainage...
    i hope you understand me....

flowers are falling... can i change soil?

is this the right time???

thanks.
    grazia.

• mairzy_dotes
    12 years ago

Yes, yes! Change the soil. Sounds like it is way to thick. You need loose, easy drain soil. Just be careful of the roots. May want to take a few cuttings in case it is failing on you. Cuttings are always a good idea if a plant starts to look bad.

• lalla62
    Original Author
    12 years ago

oh mairzy, it is impossible to change soil!!!

i have seen it...

roots are all around clod, they occupy the wole space.

I risk ruining the plant!

• mairzy_dotes
    12 years ago

Ok then. Set it on some paper towels to help dry it out. Put in well ventilated warm area.

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

I just have to say...
    buongiorno!!!! are you sleeping????

up up up!!!!!

... this post makes me laugh!

Mairzy's advice is solid. If you can't change the soil, try alternate strategies. Maybe transfer it to a clay pot (only if the problem is always bad) or be conservative when watering. Give it a drainage zone with rocks or packing peanuts at the bottom. You can gradually increase the proportion of your favorite chunky soil mix over time.

• lalla62
    Original Author
    12 years ago

ok mairzy, i will try....

greedy,i am happy if you enjoy!!!!

i like "alternate strategies", seems ours politicals!!!!(sput!!!)

• mairzy_dotes
    12 years ago

The flowers also may be falling off if you have set the plant in a lower light situation. It was probably grown in high light when the blooms appeared. Then you bought it and moved it. (sometimes that is all that is required to make the blooms fall). However, I would set the plant in as high a light place in your house as you can find to keep the blooms happy).
    As long as the leaves of the plant aren't yellowing, it is probably OK on water. Just be careful & let it dry out on top before you water again.

• lalla62
    Original Author
    12 years ago

mairzi, when I find plants with poor soil, I found it good to water from below ...
    I think so 'no collar rot of the plant.

I put a little water in a cup and then immerse the plant .. drink soon!
    I think so 'coming soon to the collar.
    we will see ..

• Ament
    12 years ago

Don't feel too bad, I went to Cali for two weeks, Nummie was loaded with blooms in my living room. Smelling wonderful! Beautiful! Heavenly! Gorgeous!......

I come back... Nummie was stuck downstairs, in the basement, in a room with the shade closed... Hanging on a closet rod, No sunlight! Ugh! Blasted every single bloom! =( I cried. I was so looking forward to the lovely scent of this beauty.

I could Not believe DH and MIL did that to my nummie! She blasted every single bloom, needed water desperately too. So I watered her, scolded DH and rehung her back in my living room! I swear, if I leave and come back and ANY of my Hoya are relegated to a gloomy room again, I WILL filet DH of every inch of skin he owns! LOL

~Tina

• lalla62
    Original Author
    12 years ago

ohi ohi ohi tina!!!!!

poor your nummie!!!!!

we can 't trust anyone!!

Our girls always under our eyes : : :

don't worry,with your gentle treatment will succeed 'and flourish'....

ciao grazia.

• Ament
    12 years ago

Yeah Lalla,

I was so disappointed to have missed all the lovely blooms!
    =( The nummie is perking up though, she's not got so many lovely blushing red leaves as she had though. I will get them back! I've put her back in the NW window she was in when I left to go to Cali. Next watering she'll get a dose of bloom booster, I'll be babying her quite a bit for awhile. Poor girl! =)

~Tina