Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lalla62

cuttings

lalla62
12 years ago

Hi everybody! I have seen that some of you use to put into water just-arrived-cuttings.

Now i'm waiting for some cuttings from Thailand; i believe that they'll arrive a lot dehidrated!! What do you think i will do about that?

Comments (20)

• mitzicos
    12 years ago

Hi Lalla,

We use to put the cuts in a "bath, soaking" in order to help against dehydration, with a little sugar in the water. It helps the cuts to recover from the long trip.

Good luck with your new cuts, and if possible take some pictures for us.

Mitzi

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

If the cuttings are dehydrated it is best to soak them for a few hours. If the cuttings are very wrinkled soak them longer until they look like they are improving. When you pot them up use small pots and keep the cutting warm and in a very humid environment like a clear sealed plastic bag or an aquarium with a lid or propagation dome.
    Without soaking cuttings can struggle to form roots and become even more dehydrated.

Mike

• cpawl
    12 years ago

When I get cuttings that are stressed from a long time in the mail.I add a bit of blackstrap molasses to the water that I plan to soak the cuttings.It full of vitamin's and sugars that help get your cuttings ready to root.

Cindy

• lalla62
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thank you to all of you!!!
    i hope thay come soon, i am worried!!!

i am not good to put photos,but i will try as they arrive.

so you can help me in the best way.

• Ament
    12 years ago

Lalla,
    You can take the photos, then upload them to a photo page like photobucket, flicker or any free host site, then share them here using the html link :D to post the image directly within the post or if you wish to post a link down below you use the image link for the picture and paste that in the space below where we type our posts for optional link URL.

Hope that helps you! ;)

~Tina

• lalla62
    Original Author
    12 years ago

oh ament, you are so kind!!!!
    i am glad to see you all my hoyas,i need many advices from you!!
    i will try to do it soon...

lalla

• Ament
    12 years ago

Whenever you get to them Lalla, we'll be here!
    If you have trouble, send me an email and I will try to help you just post here and let me know you sent me an email if I don't reply right away. Ok? :)

~Tina

• lalla62
    Original Author
    12 years ago

grazie ament,but your name is tina....ok??

my english is not perfect,but i am sure you will understand...
    thanks, i send you a mail, i am happy to have new friends!!!

• Ament
    12 years ago

Yes, Tina is my name, Ament my account name. ;)
    I understand english is your second language and have no trouble with that at all! :D New friends always are wonderful to have. ~Tina, Or Ament works too!

• lalla62
    Original Author
    12 years ago

ok tina!!!!

i will call you so!!!

• lalla62
    Original Author
    12 years ago

i am desperate!!!!!!!!!

today cuttings arrived after 20 days!!!!!!!!

i ordered :

two cuttings hoya lacunosa snow caps

two roored cuttings hoya eskimo

they are all dehydrated,very very rough and one of lacunosa is dead!!

advice me, help me plese!!!

• mairzy_dotes
    12 years ago

Contact the seller. Take pictures. Tell him your news. See what he says.

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

When we choose to order plants from half way around the world this is the chance we take. I don't believe the seller is at fault because these are living plants and guaranteeing they will arrive alive is next to impossible.
    Where did you order from and did you use the fastest shipping offered? Twenty days from Thailand is about the usual unless you use EMS shipping or a small package, they seem to take about 8-10 days to get to me in Canada.
    Species like Hoya lacanosa often drop leaves if they are in the mail too long, often the leaves turn soft and start to rot. I would recommend soaking the cuttings to rehydrate them a bit, soak for a minimum of several hours.
    I know how you feel as I just spent $45 for two cuttings and the one I wanted the most was a soft leafed species and it rotted two days after being potted up. These are the risks we take to get new Hoyas.

Mike

• lalla62
    Original Author
    12 years ago

mairzy and mike,i am not angry with the seller,i knew risks....
    i have payed 8 euro for sending ,not 35 for EMS...

i hope in my luky star!!!!!!!!!!!

a survived cutting is in water for 2 hours,now i put it in perlite....that's better.. i hope!!

two rooted cuttings hoya eskimo ( ohh,so beautiful!!so delicious!!) are in moist soil.

what do you think??

oh, my english is confused , i know!!sorry.

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

The EMS shipping is expensive but if you don't use it the cuttings are always in bad shape. All you can do is what you have done but you must make sure to keep the cuttings humid now because if they are out in the room they will loose more moisture than they can replace and they will not root. A covered propagation dome or a large clear plastic bag will work to keep the cuttings happy. Also bright diffused light and warm temperatures.

Have you tries Paul Shirley Succulents in the Netherlands? This is so much closer to you and Mr. Shirley is great to deal with.

Your English is good enough for me. :)

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Paul Shirley Succulents Hoyas

• lalla62
    Original Author
    12 years ago

grazie, i will consider this chance,but i hope for now take no more.
    now is going cold, is difficult rooting.

but you have put a wood warm in my ear!!!!......

• Ament
    12 years ago

Aww, Paul Shirley doesn't take orders from the USA :( what a bummer that is. LoL Drat!

Oh well.. eventually I'll find someone I'll be able to order from that I actually -like- the choices they have to offer. :)

~Tina

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

Tina SRQ has everything and more than Mr. Shirley does and they are rooted plants vs cuttings. Have you checked out the SRQ Hoyas site before?

Mike

• kathybennie
    12 years ago

My brief experience with SRQ has been quite good - just ordering plants this summer. Delivery is 3-4 days, shipping $10.00/order, and all plants have survived crossing the country from Florida to me in Colorado.

• Ament
    12 years ago

I haven't Mike, but I'll go check it out, Thanks guys. :) I'll probably be ordering from there in the spring when DH deploys and it's easier to do that. :D

~Tina

Sponsored
All Renovations
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Fairfax County