Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pirate_girl

Picture time, no blooms but nice foliage

pirate_girl
12 years ago

Hi Folks,

Recently took some assorted pix of my collection, hadn't had a chance to post in a while (computer troubles).

My Hydro variegated H kerrii (which I've shown before). Those crummy looking lower leaves are the oldest leaves,

New growth making its first appearances

H. bhutanica (thanks Denise)

H pallida (thanks Kelly, I believe)

more Pallida

Some H Iris Marie (thanks Kelly?) I like the dainty, graceful tip of the leaves, somehow feminine & delicate (w/ a leaf & a half of H. Australis in front of it)

Norma gave me the following marked H crassipes, said she found it climbing a wall at the Huntington Gardens in Calif. (I'd turned Norma onto Hoyas a few yrs ago, she was really into them briefly 2005 or so, but then gave up growing them). I've since lost this but got it back from my sister (a good lesson to share your plants, then you can always beg back a cutting or 2 ;>)).

more later (gotta do some work at the office)

Comments (6)

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

A recent Swap yielded a quartet of H lacunosas (in no particular order), plain, Ruby Sue, Royal Flush & some Snow Cap w/ some Linearis as well (thanks loads to Peanut/VA). Lacunosa is one of my early favorites (esp. the one w/ the dents, or Krinkle-type indentations). Imagine my delight in opening the package & finding this assortment. They've all since rooted & so far, Ruby Sue is definitely the most vigorous grower of this group.

Mitzicos: if you're around this is how some of us start them small.

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Another pix or 2 while I've got 'em open --

H. diversifolia (courtesy of Denise, thanks)

My slowest grower, H. reverse variegated kerrii

Another shot w/ its new leaf (which has since aborted), :

From the Hydro green Kerrii, what I hope (& Denise assures me) will eventually be a peduncle.

more peduncles to be

A vase full of roots, the same hydro green Kerrii, these roots are more than a year's worth (am at office, tag w/ exact age is home). I believe it was a year old this Summer.

The variegated Hydro H. kerrii

showing a branch that's reverting, I'd been asking for opinions about cutting it off, moot now. Those leaves have shed & the growth tip of that branch is withering, GRRRRRRRR.

• bama_gardener
    12 years ago

Karen, nice collection. Thanks for sharing the plants and growing methods. I hope when I am around longer, I will be able to swap cuttings and get some different ones. My few hoyas (all the common ones) are from the big box stores and are full baskets. I'm hoping they survive since it will be my first winter with them. I'm putting some in the greenhouse and some inside the house. We'll see who makes it to the Spring time!
    Beverly

• banannas
    12 years ago

Glad to see it's not just me with the massive amounts of cuttings! My reverse Kerrii didn't make it. :( I thought for sure it would be my easiest grower but it rotted and really quickly. What can you do?

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Bananas,

Some of the Kerriis are just strange & not good growers. It's not just you or your plant.

I had this problem for a long time w/ a white margined Kerrii, it always grew its new leaves right into the side of a clay pot where they were almost guaranteed to fail. As I recall, Denise also had trouble w/ Kerrii varieties growing leaves which quickly aborted; both of us got pretty frustrated about it (I since lost that plant).

Given all that, I would NEVER buy more Kerrii variations. While my Hydro variegate Kerrii grows nicely, it just grew a branch reverting to all green & before I could decide to remove it or not, it shed those leaves & withered that growth tip -- GRRR. Also this one makes ugly scars & bumps near its nodes which are not at all attractive.

I believe others (besides Denise) will concur w/ the experience of Kerrii variations growing strangely if not badly!

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here's the reverse varieg.Kerrii, you can barely see the varieg.; subtle & down the center of the leaves.

Here's these odd, Knobby branches from the Hydro varieg H Kerrii. Not its most attractive feature.

In what is otherwise a lovely plant.

Sponsored