Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moonwolf_gw

My Pitiful Lacunosa :(

moonwolf_gw
13 years ago

Hi everyone,

My lacunosa (AKA C.C.) seems to be hanging on by a thread. Take a look at her.

The somewhat good side

The pitiful side

The green vines on the good side are dying back and leaves are dropping like crazy. Looks like the mealies can chalk one up for their side.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Comments (15)

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

OH NO! It hurts just to look at her. Are you going to try again with lacunosa? I'm so sorry for your tragedy!

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

GG, she is one of my favorite hoyas. Do you think I should throw her away?

I may try again if I find another one. I may luck out in finding a Royal Flush or a Ruby Sue even!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

If she were mine, I would take cuttings, thoroughly disinfect them, and start a new and beloved baby CC 2.0.

Maybe someone else will have a more positive impression.

• pirate_girl
    13 years ago

These can be difficult & can take a lot of water, but don't seem to want direct sun. Are you watering it? Am guessing it was an Exotic Angel plant (from the color of the hanging pot) & their strange mix.

Did you see mealies, did you treat for mealies?

Why not take some cuttings & try to save a portion of it, if it were mine I would.

I managed to save a portion, of several of mine, I think it's worth a try. I'd water root the cuttings first though.

• mitzicos
    13 years ago

What is mealies?????
    You can save nice cuts.

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

GG, how do you disinfect them? I have a spray bottle full of rubbing alcohol and dishsoap that I did spray on it and compacta for mealies. Would that work?

PG, yes it is an EA plant. I got it at Lowe's last June and it did well until last fall, when the mealies first showed up. It's been a downhill battle ever since. I've been keeping her watered well. She hasn't been drying out as much as she did back in summer.

Mitzicos, mealies are a nickname for mealybugs.

I think I'll take some cuttings. I have a spare self watering pot that I'll pot them up in. I rooted my compacta cuttings (another moisture loving hoya) in a SW pot. I nicknamed it C.C. after Coco Chanel (the perfume part anyway). Thanks for your help!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• pirate_girl
    13 years ago

Not a good idea the self watering pots (IMO), ('cause they don't get to dry out & breathe, I think).

You need to treat for mealies every few days to really get them & kill them all & their eggs.

I gave up growing H. compacta 'cause it's such a mealy magnet & one can't see the bugs w/ all those nooks & crannies.

Hoya cuttings seem to do best in small pots, the smaller the better.

• Denise
    13 years ago

Brad,

Here's a good way to disinfect the cuttings... Put some slightly warm soapy water (I use Dawn) in a sink. Swish the cuttings around in the water, then put them aside to dry (don't rinse...) Then you can plant them. Lacunosa, for me, is one of the hardest to root. It will probably do best if you have a rooting aquarium and keep the pot in there until you're sure you've got a good root system started.

Your clone of lacunosa is a little different than mine - the leaves are shorter. It may be the same clone and just differs due to growing conditions. I grow mine in a north window in my sunroom, so it doesn't get any direct sun at all.

Denise in Omaha

• mitzicos
    13 years ago

Mealybugs, have you guys ever tried neem????? It's natural and usually works.

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

Brad did you let your plant get cold, wet and cold is very bad for many tropicals. If it's worth anything my first big Hoya lacanosa met a similar fate shortly after I repotted it. I took cuttings of my plant and they are fine so I would agree that you should do that while you still have some green stems left.
    I potted my cuttings in treefern pieces and it has done well, maybe it's just better for this one's roots to have a more open mix.

Mike

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

PG, I have smaller plastic pots that I can use and boy do I mean small! I think I have a 2 or 3.5 inch pot someplace. Could I spray them tommorrow morning before I took the cuttings and disinfected them? BTW, I know hoyas love small pots. I learned that a long time ago.

Denise, I don't have a rooting aquarium, but I will do your method of disinfecting the cuttings. Could I put them under a homemade humidity tray (piepan with gravel) if that'll work? My plant has been in east and south windows and gets western light in the spring/summer.

Mike, no my plant didn't get cold at all. I know cold and wet for any plant is certain death for it.

Dad just brought home a big bag of organic MG potting soil so I can repot my cuttings in those. I don't have any orchid bark though, but I do have some MG perlite that I could use instead.

Brad AKA Mooonwolf

• Denise
    13 years ago

Well, putting your pot on a humidity tray is better than nothing, but I would be sure to mist a few times a day, too, to raise the humidity.

Denise in Omaha

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

I rooted a bunch of lacunosa cuttings in an uncovered propagation flat with a bunch of gesneriads this summer. I just splashed some water in there once every few weeks (the humidity grid seemed to keep them moist for a while) and neglected the heck out of them.

That said, I'm sure I had dumb luck and Denise's experience is more to be trusted. You could try the bag method, maybe?

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Denise, I'll be sure to mist them too!

GG, I have used the bag method before and it worked. I'll be taking my cuttings soon, so wish me luck! If they don't root, time to get a new plant!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here's the cuttings all potted up. I had enough to make two pots! Let's keep our fingers crossed!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz
More Discussions