Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moonwolf_gw

I Have Some Catching Up To Do

moonwolf_gw
11 years ago

Hi everyone,

In the midst of all the hullaballoo of Hurricane Sandy aka "Frankenstorm", I have some good news. First, I found a pretty nice sized lacunosa (highly possible it's Ruby Sue) at my local Wal-Mart. Then, today, I found two nice sized peduncles on my shepherdii :). I *think* I see small buds on the shepherdii, but time will tell.

How's everyone doing? I haven't been as active on here lately.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Comments (12)

• emt23
    11 years ago

I was wondering how you were getting along.

The walmarts here ..wisconsin ...hardly have plants much with the exception of the usual holiday/outdoor garden offerings. Lowes has more but hoyas are either gone or not offered either. Lucky find for you!

Shepardii is another I have had for years that offers up a vine here and there but no substantial growth. Congrats!

I have no blooms but have been watching a boutii for months, sooooo slow. I hope it does not dry up with the heat on.

Stay safe in the hurricane! Good thoughts are sent your way.

~ Mary

• Klea
    11 years ago

Congratulations on the lacunosa, great find! And a sheperdii with two peduncles is exciting news! Hope the tiny buds swell up in no time and reward you with flowers. Keep us posted on the progress. Nice to see you posting again.

Stay safe in the hurricane!

• greedygh0st
    11 years ago

Nice to hear from you Brad. I don't have shepherdii but my minibelle bloomed for the first time recently. And I was excited. :P Now, I keep staring at my shepherdell. Not so much waiting for blooms, but because I want to see more of those fabulous hard pebble leaves!

I also just found a little peduncle on one of my FAVORITE Hoyas yesterday. EPC-145, which has the coolest dagger leaves ever. Sometimes you get an EPC Hoya and you don't know how in love you're going to be in person, but this one...

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you, Mary, Klea, and GG :). The hurricane is moving her way out. We are in the eye right now so it's pretty calm. No power losses or flooding here at our place. There is a chance of some mixed showers so maybe some flurries :D.

Mary, our local Wal-Mart will seldom have Hoyas for sale. Usually the variegated carnosas. I saw the lacunosa and just had to have it. They had a nice looking Compacta/Hindu Rope plant there too, but since it's prone to mealies, I skipped on it. Lowe's and Home Depot I love going to as well for finding new plants, but they're not downtown so I don't go to them as often. My shepherdii took a little while to bloom. It did nothing for a while, then this summer, new vines just sprouted like crazy! The vines are bare, but those two peduncles are what it's all about :).

GG, shepherdii is a great plant to have! I do not have shepherdell, but I used to have cuttings of Minibelle a few years ago. When they arrived, there were still some blooms hanging off the one peduncle :). Darn, I wish I had more room for plants, but don't we all? ;) Congrats on the peduncle!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• greedygh0st
    11 years ago

Yeah I'll have to get it someday. :)

I think maybe someday I'll just have to forgo a house and just live in a giant greenhouse equipped with a kitchenette and a bed in the center.

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

GG, what an awesome idea. lol It reminds me of if I had a greenhouse/nursery (glass). I'd even decorate it for Christmas. A few of my friends liked that idea, especially about holding our high school reunions there someday. :)

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

GG, what an awesome idea. lol It reminds me of if I had a greenhouse/nursery (glass). I'd even decorate it for Christmas. A few of my friends liked that idea, especially about holding our high school reunions there someday. :)

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• emt23
    11 years ago

GG so funny! My Aunt always says the best home is made of tile and glass with a big drain in the middle to hose it all down! ~ Mary

• greedygh0st
    11 years ago

@ Mary

Hahaha. Your aunt and I would really get along. I've long envisioned rooms of my house designed to be hosed down, particularly the bathroom, which I despise cleaning... T_T

@ Brad

I'm sure greenhouses would look gorgeous dressed up like that. Your idea reminds me of the greenhouse at the Walker sculpture garden, in Minneapolis, which look like this by night.

Pretty Christmassy with the red fish lights, right?

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

@GG, wow! That's gorgeous! Pretty close to my vision :).

"In Xanadu, did Kubla Khan, a stately pleasure-dome decree..". I'm thinking Xanadu would be a good name for my nursery. I also like "Eagle's Nest", "Wolf's Den", and "Crystalis" (an old Nintendo RPG for you video game fans). Xanadu is by far my top choice for a name. But I'm getting ahead of myself. My vision for the Christmas decor includes garlands and wreaths hanging on the outside along with lights and snow falling down :). Simple, yet elegant. What one picture can do to your creative gears lol.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• greedygh0st
    11 years ago

If I were naming a greenhouse, I would name it after a favorite video game zone:

So, are you putting a snow machine in your greenhouse, or just longing for snowy weather?

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Just longing for snowy weather :). I'd have too many precious plants for a snow machine inside of my greenhouse. It's strange, because I would also have some elements of a botanical garden too. Fountains, statues, benches, arbors covered with different vines, both inside and outside the greenhouse. One element I visualize is a memorial butterfly garden in memory of Nikki.

To keep on topic, I would have Hoyas clamoring all over the place! I'd train them to vine up along the rafters of the greenhouse on fishing wire.

I love the name you picked for your greenhouse, GG :).

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Sponsored
Van Metre Homes
Average rating: 4.2 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudoun County's Leading Home Builder | 5x Best of Houzz