Return to the Hoya Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
i think im going to lose them

Posted by stevenwayne 6 sw (jay.bick.bick@gmail.com) on
Sat, Oct 31, 09 at 14:44

about two months ago a very nice lady sent me a ton of hoyas. two of them where a sno caps and a ruby sue lanacusa. well they where doing ok til about a week ago then they started to look dehidrated and starting to yellow. they are both kept slightley moist so please help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: i think im going to lose them

I had the same problem with a cutting. I would also like to know what happened and how to prevent it in the future.

o
RE: i think im going to lose them

Funny, I just got done posting in another subject about how touchy lacunosa can be! I find cuttings hard to start - and fall is the hardest time to start hard-to-start cuttings! But I had to take some cutting off my lacunosa a couple weeks ago - I could tell a large stem with lots and lots of branches wasn't taking up water like it should. The leaves just weren't as firm and nice as the rest of the plant. So I removed it, thinking there wasn't much chance of rooting a lacunosa cutting this time of year, but I wasn't going down without a fight! Chopped it into smaller pieces and put it in soil in my rooting aquarium. So far, all pieces have firmed up and look like they're going to root for me. So I guess the key is probably the aquarium that raises the humidity around those leaves as it's trying to root. I imagine there's less stress to the plant with all that humidity...

If you don't have an aquarium setup, I'd take the potfull of cuttings and set them in a large zip-lock bag, spray some water in there and seal it up. Open it every day or two to let out the old air and let fresh in, and spray more water in there if it doesn't look humid. Of course, set it in a warm spot with NO direct sun. Maybe you can still salvage some or all of the cuttings.

Denise in Omaha

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hoya Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here