Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
smn55410

Feeding the addiction

smn55410
11 years ago

Hello all!

My fall break for grad school was this past weekend and how did I spend it? Buying hoyas that's how! I bought my first one four years ago, became hooked, and my collection now totals ten. I'll admit I had to walk away from a curtsii today at a local store (broke my heart). But anywho, I bought a compacta 'regalis' (I think) and the other I'm not sure of. The mature leaves are about three inches long or so. Then I also received a cv. Mathilde in the mail from Joni. Made for a very good weekend :)

Stephanie

Comments (24)

• emt23
    11 years ago

Love the curly white leaves on the compacta. Good start to a rewarding hobby and yes addiction! ~ Mary

• plantomaniac08
    11 years ago

The hoya on the left is Hoya carnosa 'Krimson Queen.' Here's mine, a bit bigger but it's a fast grower! You mentioned you have ten total, can we see pictures of the others? :D I'm not much for compacta but I really like the look of yours (I like the variegation, I don't believe I've seen that before).

Planto

• smn55410
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Plantomaniac, thanks for the ID! And of course I'll share pictures, any chance to show off my plants :)

This one is my Chelsea. It sits on my fridge and is going through a bit of a growth spurt right now.

• smn55410
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I also have a bilobata which has been covered in blooms since August :)

• smn55410
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have a holliana as well and went through a spell where I almost lost it but it seems to have recovered.

• smn55410
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Then this is my kentiana. Right now it's growing like crazy :)

• smn55410
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I already had one, but I couldn't help buying another carnosa 'Krimson Princess' I believe. Plus it helped that it was a rescue from Walmart. And carnosas will always have a special place in my heart since it was the plant that started it all for me.

• smn55410
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This is my other compacta. I had always wanted a Hindu Rope, the twisted leaves were quite interesting. Now I have two :)

• smn55410
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Then this is the carnosa that started it all. I've had it for about 4-5 years. It went through a phase where it did almost nothing but then I figured out what it really needed and it took off. It has three vines that are almost two feet long and growing. If anything happened to this plant I'd be devastated. It might be time to take a cutting!

• greedygh0st
    11 years ago

Your plants look lovely, smn (my geeky side enjoys that your initials are the abbreviation for summoner). I can't wait till my Chelsea starts growing like yours - it's one of my favorite cvs. I really don't do such a great job of growing my carnosa cultivars, though. They always get stuck in some weird spot and underwatered. I just moved them all though, so maybe they'll turn around within a year.

Just an FYI, your bilobata = DS-70 and your kentiana = wayetii. These are old common misidentifications from EA.

• smn55410
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks greedyghost! My plants sit in a sunny window so I think I got lucky :) and I always wondered about the bilobata and kentiana, thanks for informing me about the EA misidentifications!

• plantomaniac08
    11 years ago

smn55410,
    Your rescue from Wal-Mart and the Hoya that started it all are indeed Hoya carnosa 'Krimson Princess.' I've never seen a H. holliana before, thanks for sharing (I thought maybe the curling was due to the dry spell but that's normal---Again, I've never seen one before). Thanks for sharing, all of your hoyas look very happy! I keep seeing 'Chelsea' at a local Lowes and I really like it but I don't have anymore room. :(

Planto

• ohmybloomers
    11 years ago

Hiya smn,

An EA KP from Walmart was the start of it all for me also. I wonder how many of us there are? Your plants look lovely.

• Klea
    11 years ago

Nice looking hoyas, smn! Don't worry about feeding the addiction, it's obviously too late to stop it anyway. :D Your new additions are beautiful. H. cv. Mathilde is one of my favorite hoyas, a perfect mix of the petite elegance of H. serpens and the forgiving nature of H. carnosa. L o v e l y !

• smn55410
    Original Author
    11 years ago

plantomaniac, if you ever get room you should buy a Chelsea, I adore mine!

ohmybloomers, thanks, it's nice to hear I'm doing everything right! I'm betting there's quite a few "Walmart rescuers" out there! I know I couldn't stand to see such precious plants wilt away in that store :)

Klea, Thanks! I certainly have no qualms about my addiction although my mother worries about the toll it takes on my bank account :) (but isn't that what mothers do, worry?) I'm looking forward to watching my cv. Mathilde grow, I've always wanted one.

• buzzb
    11 years ago

Great looking plants Stephanie! They have found a good home with you.

• plantomaniac08
    11 years ago

smn55410,
    I'll be sure to get one! I'm just waiting until we find a house... more room, more plants (That's how it works, right?). :)

Planto

• smn55410
    Original Author
    11 years ago

buzzb, thanks! I can't have pets here so they've taken the place of any animals!

plantomaniac, that always sounds like a good equation!

And I have an update... I sheepishly admit I went back to the store and bought the curtisii. I had to rescue it from drowning to death. That seems to be that fate of hoyas in big box stores.

• buzzb
    11 years ago

I don't blame you for going back to get that one. It's a nice plant!
    If I'm at Walmart or the home stores I will dump excess water from plants even if I'm not buying them.
    Mike

• ohmybloomers
    11 years ago

That curtisii is a real beauty. Good save! There's no way I would have let that one go, either. Even if it meant I had to share the bed with it because there was no room anywhere else!

• smn55410
    Original Author
    11 years ago

buzzb, I try to do the same, I feel so bad for the poor plants that are sopping wet.

ohmybloomers, I had to put it in a new spot, there's no room in my little hoya corner! But it was worth the purchase!

• moonwolf_gw
    11 years ago

Welcome to the forum, Stephanie!

Lovely plants! A plain, green, carnosa cutting from my home-ec teacher started my Hoya addiction. I got some Mathilde cuttings earlier this past summer. It's showing some new growth and it's a darling little plant.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• greedygh0st
    11 years ago

"I can't have pets here so they've taken the place of any animals!"

I like this line. :)
    I do have a cat, but I also think of my Hoyas as pets, that en masse = 1 dog. A very quiet dog that requires a lot of futsy attention.

• buzzb
    11 years ago

I stopped by Walmart at lunch today. It was a banner Hoya day. There was a variegated carnosa, 2 nice sized Hindu rope, wayetti, brevialata and curtisii. I emptied out all the excess water from all of them and purchased the curtisii since I didn't have one yet. Thanks for the inspiration Stephanie!

Sponsored