Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maidinmontana

Help with Id's please. . .

maidinmontana
14 years ago

Hi everyone,

I bought three of the *space saver collections* from SRQ. Joni lists five different Pub. species, and then pots 4 of the 5 up together. They aren't labled. So I was hoping you guys could help me with the ID.

I was planning on potting the like ones up together. . . what do you think? Or should I just let them all grow in the pots as they are?

Here's the 5 she lists

Silver Pink

Red Buttons

Royal Hawiian Purple

Bright One

Splash

These were all potted up together

{{gwi:989709}}

This is the first one on the left

{{gwi:989711}}

Second from left

{{gwi:989713}}

Third from left

{{gwi:989715}}

these two have different rootballs, but they were very close together so I thought they may be the same?

{{gwi:988704}}

last one on the right

{{gwi:989718}}

Thanks guys, I have two more pots with the same collection, I'll wait and see how this one goes before I post them. . .

Maid~

Comments (12)

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Hey Maid,

I'm so bad at ID's...all I know is my RHP and Red buttons gets some red or dk. purple leaves and my RHP some of the vines are very dark, not green like my PS...my Pink Silver usually only has green leaves. Bright one, I don't have and I think Splash is pink silver with a lot more flecks on the leaves?

The potting up together would be totally up to you...If it were mine and I needed to save on space, I would go ahead and pot the RHP/Red buttons/bright one together and maybe the PS and splash in one pot. Again, this is totally up to you...if you have the space and you want to keep them all separate, then pot them up separately. I have space issues, I potted up KP and KQ in one pot. Again, its your choice, the only thing that might be a problem is "if" you ever wanted to trade down the road, once they start growing together, they will be all mixed up in the pot and you might not be able to tell them apart?

Either way...Enjoy them!!

• PRO
    Jan Sword-Rossman Realty 239-470-6061
    14 years ago

Hi Maid, pink silver & splash are the same. The red buttons have smaller leaves than pink silver. The only bad thing is that I see, you will not be able to tell which is which for trading if you plant them together.

• eli_h
    14 years ago

Hi Maid,
    In my opinion you need to pot them separately. This will insured that if one of them will rot it will not influence the other.At the beginning very small pot is enough so the space can not be the limitation.

• cldheath44
    14 years ago

Maid,

I can't be positive of course, but I think the first one you show is the Bright One. I have one, and Bright One has more rounded leaves than the other pubicalyx cultivars do.

HTH,
    Christine

• maidinmontana
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone for your input,

I was doing a little bit of research on my own and came across an article CB wrote on mis-named hoyas. I decided to contact her persoanlly for her *expert advice*. I was a little nervous b/c I've heard how abrupt she can be, but I figured she'd either tell me what she thought. . . or tell me what she knew.

For the most part, she was pretty gentle.
    I thought I'd share the info she sent me with everyone. . . I find the info on the cv. 'Red Buttons' and cv. ' RHP' very interesting.

Hoya cv. Bright one has leaves that are usually a bit shorter and broader than the others and a little less speckled with silver. The flowers' coronas are solid rose-pink.
    There is no such thing as cv. Silver Pink. The name is "Pink Silver". Its mature leaves are about 5 inches long by about 1 & 1/2 inches wide. The leaves are generously speckled with silver and sometimes have a silvery "wash" over most of their surfaces. It got its name because the silvery speckles turn "pinkish" in the sun. The flowers' coronas are red in the center but the outer 2/3rds are white.
    Royal Hawaiian Purple's leaves are about the same length as those of cv. Pink Silver but they are usually not quite as wide. They are frequently a little twisted. The flowers's coronas are actually colourless. The lobes are transparent and filled with a spongy substance. This absorbs the dark purple-red sap which makes the corona appear almost black. In cool weather the sap leaks out between the anther wings and evenly dyes the flowers, while they are still in bud stage, the dark purple colour you expect to see. In extremely hot weather, the sap appears to literally boil over and when that happens the colour is spilled unevenly and you end up with what appears to be flowers of two colours in a calico pattern. The leaves are generously speckled like thoseof Pink Silver.

Red Buttons is very like Royal Hawaiian Purple but its leaves are smaller (about3 to 3 & 1/2 inches by about 1 inch. There are some speckles on the leaves but not very many. Just as Royal Hawaiian Purple, in hot weather the sap spills over and you sometimes find two coloured flowers but not as often. The beautiful thing about Red Buttons is the new foliage. It is often (when light is right, deep purple with not a speckle to be seen.

I am not familiar with a cultivar named Splash.

- thehoyan

Maid~

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Maid, very interesting comments on the differences between the publicalyx's...thanks for sharing it with us. So far my PS, RHP and Red buttons all have very similar flowers. I'm hoping the next bloom on my RHP will be darker that the last ones?

• maidinmontana
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Nancy,
    Well, I have almost made myself crazy, and brain numb, trying to find the difference between these Pubs. I think I have come to the conclusion that the leaves are all still too young to really get a proper ID.

I'm not going to take any chances/guess at this point. I have decided to pot them all seperatley. Then when/if they bloom I will label them.

Since I got three (4 rooted cuttings per pot) of these lil guys, I now have 13 little pots to tend too. (one pot had 5 in it, I don't know if there are two of the same or she mis counted). I think it's the safest way for now, especially if I ever want to trade cuttings from them.

I do have a full sized plant of H. pub. 'Red buttons and H. pub. 'Pink Silver' coming from CN., so hopefully those will help me determine if I have any of those in these mini's.

I have roots on the ones I got from you a few weeks ago !! I rooted them all in perlite and water in a sealed glass jar. I haven't potted them up yet, I want the roots to be a little bigger before potting up. Thanks again. . .

Maid~

• generator_00
    14 years ago

Hi Maid, I found the space savers on srq's website and after seeing the plants you got I have decided to order a couple for next spring. I think you made the right choice by potting them separately. That will definitely make things easier for you in the future. Between the pubicalyx collection and the beginners collection a newbie can get a bunch of already rooted hoyas started for a reasonable amount of money.

• maidinmontana
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Generator,

You're right as far as a good deal goes. I bought three of the Pub. collections. @ $9.00 a piece, and getting at least 4 rooted plants for $27.00 is a good deal no matter where you buy. In my case, I had 5 (I think) in one pot, so I ended up with 13 pots. I realize some of them may be duplicates, but for now, and until I can determine one from the other, I still have 13 rooted plants.

I'm glad you bought from Joni, she is so awesome. I ordered a bag of dragonfly clips too, and she threw in an extra bag. This is the 3rd time I've bought from her and she has always thrown in a freebee of some kind. I LOVE her.

Maid~

• generator_00
    14 years ago

Maid, I'm sure you have already thought of it but you can always plant the duplicates together later in a bigger pot for a fuller looking plant, or trade them off for plants you are lacking. Maybe we could even end up with a trade. It would be a short shipment since I live in Wyoming. It's always reassuring to order stuff from people that have a good reputation so I'm thankful for the good recommendation of Joni and her company.

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Maid, good to hear that the cuttings are rooting. That perlite/glass jar is working out well for you. Good luck with all your new hoya babies!

• maidinmontana
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Generator, where in WY? Are you guys getting the same freezing weather we are?

Spring trading is a good suggestion. Hopefully all these baby's will be tweens by then. . . lol.

Maid~

Sponsored