Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lmwilliams_gw

Damaged Sweetheart Hoya

lmwilliams
13 years ago

Hi, new to posting here so hope you can help me.

I own a double sweetheart hoya (Hoya Kerri) which was originally what i understand to be two leaves in a pot making a double 'sweetheart'. Unfortunately one of the leaves was snapped off at ground level by my little brother and even though the plant is still living 3 years later no further growth or a replacement leaf has developed. The base of the broken leaf is still visible- black and twisted but not gone. The other leaf is alive but hasnt bloomed or grown in anyway.

My query is will this always remain this way and no further leaves will sprout or should i try and replant a second leaf so my single sweetheart wont be lonely?

Is there anything i can do to get a double sweetheart again or to make the plant flourish?

Thanks

It was a gift from my husband.

Comments (5)

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

Welcome to the forum.
    I think what you have is a novelty gift because the leaves of this Hoya can easily be rooted and remain alive for a very long time, these are often sold as Valentines gifts. If you would like a plant it would be best to start with a cutting that has several leaves and stem so that there is a good chance of seeing new growth. Single leaves can develop a vine but it is much less common than with a stem cutting with leaves.
    If you want to look up info on your Hoya check under the name Hoya kerrii.

Mike

• Denise
    13 years ago

Hi LMW,

Mike is right - kerrii is often seen grown this way for a gift, but I have yet to hear about one growing. If you'd like a cutting of Hoya kerrii, I'd be happy to send you a piece for postage. Just e-mail me through this site.

Denise in Omaha

• pirate_girl
    13 years ago

Unfortunately, Mike & Denise are right about this. This misleading gift idea often comes around at Valentine's Day for the heart-shaped connection.

Sadly, it's a rip-off, I believe nurseries who do this KNOW that the leaves will never produce a plant.

Knowing this, I have asked my local supermarkets (who buy these for Valentines's Day) to stop carrying these as the purchasers are invariably disappointed (& are wasting their money as well).

Denise, you are sooooo very kind.

• honeybraids
    12 years ago

Hello,

I am new posting here. I have a sweetheart Hoya that my father had after he passed. I have recently moved to Florida and it seems that my plant has taken a turn for the worst. I am afraid that this plant will not survive and want to know if anyone has any advise as to where I can get another plant.

Your help is much appreciated. Thank you!

• Denise
    12 years ago

HB,

First, I'd suggest in the future that you start a new thread since it will be more read than an old post. Just a suggestion - newbies here sometimes post their question on old posts and they don't get as good a response...

Anyway, I'm sorry to hear your dad's Hoya kerrii is sulking. It may recover. Can you tell us what it's symptoms are, where you put it - any details will help. But first thing I would do, assumimg it's not literally rotting, is to take a cutting, or even a few if it's big enough. This way, you have a good chance of keeping the very Hoya your dad had going. And in case you're not familiar with how to root Hoyas, here's what I do. I take a nice heavy wide clay pot (because kerrii is a HEAVY plant) and fill it with potting soil mixed with some perlite (about 2/3 soil, 1/3 perlite). Set it in a shady spot outside, like against the house on the north side where it will get NO sun at all, and prop your cuttings in the pot, cut end in the soil. Keep it watered good. The leaves may look like they're starting to dehydrate as it goes through the rooting process - don't let this worry you. It's perfectly normal with kerrii. Once it's rooted, the leaves will fatten back up and become a very bright, pretty green.

If you think your kerrii is absolutely past the stage of being salvaged, e-mail me through "my page", which can be accessed by my name above this post.

HTH!
    Denise in Omaha

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz