Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ks_girl

H. Australis available on EA site

ks_girl
15 years ago

I noticed last night EA has the australis listed, I ordered one but not because I reallly needed it because I allready have a smaller one instead just because I can't pass up the instant gratification of a large plant now.

It said for a limited time only so probally won't be available very long.

Jo

Comments (20)

• starsell
    15 years ago

What is an EA site?

• puglvr1
    15 years ago

Starsell,

Its Exotic Angel...they are offering an 8" pot of Australis for $15.47 plus shipping on their on-line store.

Thanks for posting Ks-girl...

Here is their website

Here is a link that might be useful: Exotic Angel On-Line Store

• starsell
    15 years ago

LOL! I never knew old Hermann had an
    online store.

I'll have to check it out. --Thanks.

• Mentha
    15 years ago

Wish I had seen this this morning, I just spent all my money on birds this afternoon.

• ks_girl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I got my new australis from EA.
    Very nice plant, I'm happy.
    Jo
    {{gwi:989815}}

• User
    15 years ago

Ks,

What IS that to the left of your plant pls? Can't tell, could be some kind of fabric or textile OR, could be a Stapeliad bloom of some sort OR the plant commonly known as 'Dutchman's Pipe'? Nice healthy-looking Hoya too, but I'm really curious abt the thing on the left pls.

• mdahms1979
    15 years ago

Good eye PG I was about to mention that as well, looks like a Stapelia gigantea bloom to me. Ks-Girl that Hoya australis was a steal, it's so big and healthy.

Mike

• shanna5
    15 years ago

Great Plant Jo. Looks beautiful, I want one!!!

shanna

• ks_girl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Mike's correct, it's a stapelia gigantea. When I looked at my picture I knew someone would ask about it.
    Jo

• alba_gardener
    15 years ago

Thanks KS,
    For posting about EA's Australis limited time sale. I just received mine this afternoon and I am very pleased. She is beautiful and very healthy looking just like yours! However, what do you think of the planting medium it's in? Should repotting it be considered?
    Winter is approaching and I think I am going to stop buying hoyas till spring....LOL...right....
    alba in hawthorne, ca

• ks_girl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Alba, I do know that some people change all the soil on their EA plants but I don't and I don't have any trouble with any of mine and I do have all of their Hoya now.
    Some I've had for over 1 1/2 years now and they're still going strong.

Jo

• Denise
    15 years ago

I've had my EA australis (it's ssp. tenuipes, BTW) for about 3 years now. It's the one I grow on a trellis in my GH and it very quickly climbed and covered the trellis, right up to the ceiling. I now keep it whacked back at the top, which forces more growth down below creating more climbing. It's quite an aggressive grower, so I suggest you find a good spot for it and figure that's where it'll be forever! And as a hanging plant, it just isn't practical unless you like the climbing-all-over-the-ceiling look. Mine is blooming right now.

Denise in Omaha

• alba_gardener
    15 years ago

JO,
    OK, I won't repot.

Denise, your so right about this plant, she is a big climber. The plant I got yesterday is really nice,but she is all twisted around the hanger . And on a really good inspection today I am going to have to cut it because it's impossible to unravel it . This is not a hanging basket plant, she likes to climb UP...Guess I'll have to get her a trellis.

• ks_girl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Alba, sometimes when untwisting a hoya with vines like this I just cut the hanger off and pull it out of the vines.

I'll put mine on a trellis also but will probally wait untill spring.

I'd love to see some pictures of how others grow theirs.
    Jo

• blondetazz0924
    15 years ago

I also got this from their site. What a beauty it is!!!!!! What I did was remove the bottom catch pan asap, and got her off that hanger by cutting the hanger. I then took 2 large hoop bambos and made a trellis for her to climb. Shes great so far:) Does this hoya like to go completely dry before watering her again? That will take awhile with this ea soil......lol. Any tips anyone? I want to keep her healthy and happy. It also gets misted with VF!11 of course:)

• alba_gardener
    15 years ago

KS,
    I guess that's what I will do too, just cut the hanger instead of the plant.

Blondetazz, where did you get those bamboo hoops ? That's a good idea to just cut the hanger and put in some kind of trellis since she is a climber.
    Thanks Ladies.
    alba in Hawthorne,ca

• tannatonk23_fl_z9a
    15 years ago

I bought an EA h. australis in an 8" pot from HD early this past summer that looked like yours. It was all tangled up and wanted to grow up. I posted on this forum and asked if I should put it in a larger pot with a trellis. The comments I received were mixed - some felt I should leave it as it was and others said to pot up. I decided to put it into a 16" pot with a trellis. Sooo glad I did that. I may have compromised earlier blooms but that's okay. It's my very favorite plant and totally carefree. I've been fighting mealies on some of my other hoyas but this australis seems to be immune. It does grow like a bad weed but about once a month I untangle all the new growth and wrap it around. I think soon I may have to just start cutting the tops off to control it as I really don't want it too large! Here are a few pics.

This is when I first got it. It really was not hard to untangle and I didn't break it at all.

This is right after repotting. Must have been about May.

Here it is last weekend.

Time to untangle the beast again! lol! I actually just looked at this tonight and it's probably grown 6 more inches since last weekend.

So I vote to repot it and give it a trellis and some room. My trellis is only a 4 footer.

~Betsy

• ks_girl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Betsy, Nice looking plant, it sure has earned it's keep, has it bloomed yet?
    I don't think I have to worry about mine growing that fast since I don't have the year round warmth here. Mine gets to be outside for 6 months and the winter is spent inside waiting for warm weather again.

Alba, I find bamboo hoops at several of the nurseries around here, I use them a lot. As the plant gets larger you can always add taller hoops.
    Jo

• blondetazz0924
    15 years ago

I got these large hoops at the garden center in our town. Try the garden centers for some....they should have them.

• kellyknits
    15 years ago

Wow- I can't believe the growth! Absolutely beautiful!

Kelly

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville