Return to the Hoya Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cuttings

Posted by golden_ca_2000 BC Canada (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 7, 10 at 15:49

I received some cuttings today and one of them I noticed it had some webbing and a white thing - looked kinda like a tiny white cotton ball.... What would that be ? I took all the cuttings and soaked them in water in neem oil in the sink? Is there anything else I should do to prevent any bugs? Or is this a good enough preventative method???

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cuttings

Sounds like mealie bugs. I received cuttings recently with signs of mealies in and I sprayed them with 100% alchohol with no ill effects, they rooted and are growing. Don't bring the cuttings anywhere near your other plants until you are sure for at least 2 weeks that they are free of pests.

o

Another question that I would like to know - (by the way thank you luckylittle bug for your reply)
Anyways another question I wondered.... when you get a cutting like the one I am going to post below and it is cut really close to the leaves - do you pick off the first couple of leaves and plant the cutting that way - or just plant it with this really short stem... the photo I posted below you will see on the right side it has a really short stem? What is the best way for me to plant it?

Photobucket

o

Golden I would leave those bottom leaves on and just try to pot the cutting lying along the surface with the base of the leaves partially buried. Those leaves are too valuable to chop off because the others are quite small and will not be able to collect enough energy alone. I partially bury leaves all the time with no ill effects, new growth will often appear from that part of the cutting as well.

You got a peduncle on that Hoya sp GPS 10080 !!!!!! My cutting of that species looked much more plump but in either case it rooted quickly and put out new leaves right away.

Mike

o

I agree with Mike - keep the leaves and just put the cutting in the soil with the leaves partially buried. Then with stiffer cuttings, I'll use a hair clip to clip it to the side of the pot (further up) and hold it in place to root.

Cuttings I send or receive, I always "swish" them around in a sink of sudsy, tepid water (I use Dawn) to kill any possible buggers. The neem oil should work well, too.

Denise in Omaha

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hoya Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here