Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nuthatch_mo

Care of Hoya

nuthatch_mo
11 years ago

Just bought a Hoya Carnosa yesterday. How do I take care of it? Right now it is in a hanging basket. Thanks for any help.

Comments (7)

• emt23
    11 years ago

Hi nuthatch! If you do a search for carnosa there was recent conversation on this hoya. I have not been able to raise this one well and so e others have done really well and here are many pictures also! Good growing! ~
    Mary

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

Probably one of the easier ones to grow. My father had a large one outside that grew through everything and flowered almost constantly. And it was in full sun a lot of the day. I repotted it late last year, the soil in the pot was hard packed. I untangled what I could, the rest became cuttings. Since then it has continued to do really well.

So no real need to panic, it is reasonably tough. If it's looking good now then probably best leave it as is. Keep it moist, airy and in good light. It should do well.

• nuthatch_mo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for your input. It is looking good at this point, but it is in one of those ugly nursery hanging plastic baskets. It is on the small side right now so I think I am going to take a chance and repot it into a better hanging basket before it gets too big for me to handle. When and what kind of plant food should I give it. It does have 1 flower bunch on it right now.

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Pls. wait 'til the flowering is done before repotting.

If you change the mix you won't need to fertilize for at least 6 months, if not changing mix, I'd wait to fertilize 'til next Spring. A general, balanced fertilizer is fine (one w/ equal numbers like 20-20-20), needn't be anything special or fancy.

Welcome & good luck, Carnosas are pretty carefree Hoyas in my experience. Good for you that you got bloom already, might you share a pic w/ us pls?

• ohmybloomers
    11 years ago

Hiya nuthatch - welcome to the world of hoyas! The carnosa was also my first hoya. That was 2011... and I have over 60 hoyas now! There is some difference of opinion as to which is more addicting, hoyas or crack. ;-)

One thing I'll add is that since you're in MO, if your hoya isn't inside the house, it may need to be by now. I've found my carnosa can tolerate outside temperatures down to about 45 for brief periods, but once it's consistently that cold night after night, I bring it in for the winter. I keep it in a very bright window and it does fine all winter. In winter I only water every 2-3 weeks (whereas in summer it gets watered once a week).

Yes, and please do wait to repot - hoyas bloom better if they're at least a little potbound. And when you do repot, don't go to a pot that's very much bigger than the one it's already in.

Good luck and enjoy it!!

• emt23
    11 years ago

Soooo was I brain dead when I answered this? Carnosa is one of the easiest as all have commented. As suggested repot after the blooming is done. I have this in direct sun for three hours, under lights and in sheltered bright windows. All have bloomed with these conditions. I use the standard houseplant fertilizer and once in a while a bloom booster. It likes to be pot bound, water and dry out in between for me. I have used potting mixes made for orchids with added potting soil and vermiculite and a dash of barn lime. They are so hardy and if you want to keep it smaller just trim the root ball and keep it to the same size new pot. Just bring it in when temps fall below fifty for safety sake. They can be on a trellis as well as hang. Humidity is not a great issue, easily root in water or soil whatever the preference you have. I give them to young kids for an easy introduction to the hoya world as they produce blooms early and make success more instant than some of the fussier ones. Hope this helps and sorry for my lack of attention span!! ~ Mary

• nuthatch_mo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone. I did a search and found out it likes to be pot-bound, so I will leave it in its current pot for the winter and in the spring try to find a nice hanging basket about the same size. It was blooming when I bought it so can take no credit for the flowers. It is in the house right now, but for the next week is suppose to be in the 70's during the day so I am going to put it outside at least in the daytime. I did water it today as it was so dry that the pot was light, now will put it on a 3-4 week cycle. It seems from what I have read that Hoya's seem to be addictive. Am going to try and avoid that as I already have a Begonia and Sinningia addiction. LOL Thanks for all help.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor
More Discussions