Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jan_sword

October bloom

Cinnamomifolia, been blooming for months.

{{gwi:431058}}

Comments (57)

• PRO
    Jan Sword-Rossman Realty 239-470-6061
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here is H cinnamomifolia plant. My nummularioides budding up everywhere, H obscura, H lacunosa var, pub red buttons are in bloom currently.

• maidinmontana
    14 years ago

Very pretty Jan, that's a monster plant. . . thanks for sharing.
    Maid~

• Andrew Scott
    14 years ago

Thank you Jan, it is beutifull. I will consider buying that one from CN(if she has it, I lOVE her plants)in the spring.

• haxuan
    14 years ago

Maid... almost all my hoyas were harvested from the jungle by people who were looking for something else, like orchids, so they were NOIDs.

Usually, I'd have to wait until they bloom, then I compare them with others named varieties online, or asked GW members here, to obtain the IDs. But sometimes, that is still inaccurate because hoyas can be different from a very fine detail :-o(. I do have one or two hoyas that people cannot agree on their names!!!

Xuan

• treelover3
    14 years ago

Xuan,
    Wow, how cool. It would be great if you could start a thread and attach photos of some of your NOID plants. I would bet you are probably the only person on this forum that has plants directly from habitat. All of the rest of us don't ever get to see hoyas like that.

You don't necessarily need to post photos of the flowers. It would be interesting to just see photos of the foliage first and then if they flower, you can add those photos later.
    Thanks in advance, (:o)
    Mike

• rizara
    14 years ago

Hi there...
    I check this website all the time to get ideas on how to grow hoyas and their needs. I got the sickness too...;) and my colection has been growing lately.. :) I was given a little baby of the H cinnamomifolia plant with the promise that its blooms will smell like cinnamon... Can anyone confirm that? I'm glad to say that it's healthy and doing just great...

Also i got a couple of hoyas with no name i will love to give them their identity back...

Maybe someone can let me know what their names are...? Here are some photos... I hope it helps.

Thanks,
    Riz

Here is a link that might be useful: Photos

• maidinmontana
    14 years ago

Hi Riz, and welcome~

I will say the first no ID hoya is H. wayetii. I will leaves the rest to the real experts.

PS. You might get more feedback if you start a different thread. The experts here really like iding hoyas, they are more likely to see it if it's in a thread all it's own. :)

Maid~

• PRO
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Riz, welcome!
    Jan
    I am not an expert but looks like
    1. H Dischidia p...
    2. H DS-70
    3. H Nummulariaid
    4. ?? flower might help
    5. H pachyclada red/white
    6. H cummingiana
    7. H carnosa motoskei
    8. H pubicalyx "Pink Silver"

• PRO
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ok, I remembered the name on #1. D parasitica if it has tiny red flowers.

• PRO
    Original Author
    14 years ago

H numm, buds on every node.
    {{gwi:989978}}

• geosdee
    14 years ago

Jan, my nummulariodes is blooming and it literaly has blooms at every node, with some nodes having multiple peduncles and buds. Will take a picture when I get home. I also have a pretty strong scent but can't place it. It is the only one blooming in my family room and it fills the room with it's scent.

Dee

• mdahms1979
    14 years ago

Hi Riz welcome to the forum. Your Hoya cinnamomifolia will not have cinnamon scented blooms. The secret is in the name and if you break down the species name into it's parts you get cinnamom-i-foila, this Hoya was named because it's leaves resemble those of the cinnamon tree's and not for the scent of it's flowers.

Mike

• okie_deb
    14 years ago

Finally when I checked my nummulariodes it's making spurs/peduncles! I best get it inside so they won't abort. They are still small so hopefully the transition won't effect them.,,,,Debbie

• geosdee
    14 years ago

This is nummulanioides so full of blooms and more coming.

and another picture

I just can't seem to get a good picture with all the blooms showing and the new buds sprouting.

Dee

• maidinmontana
    14 years ago

WOW. . . what a pretty sight. . good growing Dee !!!

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Congrats Jan, Dee and Debbie!

Dee, that is a LOT of blooms. Great job! What does this one smell like again?

• Andrew Scott
    14 years ago

Hello Jan,
    I tried emailing you? Did you get it? is there some kind of problem? Thanks Jan.
    Andrew

• okie_deb
    14 years ago

Dee you plant is a bloomin fool! ;-P
    Great growing!,,,,Debbie

• cpawl
    14 years ago

Hi Dee, your hoya must smell wonderful.I have a large one and its just starting to get peduncles so maybe in Nov I will see flowers.

Cindy

• PRO
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Dee, your numm looks wonderful!!!
    Andrew, I did not get your email. I was out of town, just got back.

• geosdee
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone, this thing is in a little 4 inch pot and blooms at every node, hard to capture. It has a faint smell during the day, but at night it tends to get overpowering, can't place the smell but it is a nice one.

This one has been blooming about 2 weeks now. Hmm, maybe if I took it down and took a shot looking down on it. I will have to experiment.

Dee

• PRO
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yay!!! I just noticed huskeliana yellow is budding up. Obscura has been blooming for a long time.

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

This just opened up yesterday and thought I would share it with you guys.
    RHP

• PRO
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Nancy, your RHP flowers looks like pink silver but I know it's RHP because the leaves. Very pretty!!!!

• golden_ca_2000
    14 years ago

Gorgeous Pug! Thanks for sharing!

• moonwolf_gw
    14 years ago

I think that pubicalyx blooms are some of the best hoya blooms to ever exist. Thanks for sharing, Pug!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• cpawl
    14 years ago

Very nice pug

Cindy

• mfyss
    14 years ago

H. nummularioides is blooming just as described by jan1__2007. I thought the small plant might be a gesneriad, but it finally put out new growth with peduncles at the nodes .

While it is a small sample, it seems remarkable that it is blooming simultaneously in Vietnam, Florida, Oklahoma and Illinois (indoors). Haxuan's report of a single inflorescence is interesting (unless she has no other nodes). Yale

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone!!

Jan, thats exactly what I've mentioned on another post, my RHP, PS and Red Buttons blooms all look very similar. Not sure why? I bought the the RHP and PS at Gardino's so I know the ID's are correct...plus like you said the leaves prove it. The REd buttons I received from(trade) a nice member here and I know the ID is correct also. Can't be my weather, you and I have the same temperatures?

Yale, congrats on your H. Numm. blooming!

• golden_ca_2000
    14 years ago

mfyss - you can add Canada to that list too :0)

• PRO
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here is a blurry photo of huskeliana, smells buttery.

• dmichael619
    14 years ago

this is an awesome little hoya. It's a rather compact grower and blooms only in the fall. it's also a very prolific bloomer opening almost all of it's flowers at one time. H. nummularioides

This hoyas leaves remind me a lot of rosemary!!! It's a very fast grower for me and is one of my favorites for foliage. It's hoya linearis and it's a first time bloomer for me.

This is H. sp. Kumning Kina and it's another favorite for it's long strappy leaves. This is it's first time blooming for me!! The flowers on this hoya somewhat resemble those of hoya erythrina as far as size and shape goes.

• PRO
    Original Author
    14 years ago

David, great photos!! my nummularioides are blooming too. I love everything about nummularioides.
    I love lienaris, mine was huge but end up dieing for some reason.
    I got a Kumning Kina cutting in trade while ago. I think Kumning Kina plant looks really nice. Can't wait.
    David, one of these days I am going to have to drive up there with a clipper & a huge bag.

• PRO
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Actually I forgot my kuming kina died. :-(

• PRO
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hoya obscura.

Leaves & buds with more sun exp.

Numm, I had to clip it to show all the flowers.

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Very nice Jan, I'm waiting for my rooted cuttings(Numm) to get some peduncles...so far nothing yet **sigh**

• maidinmontana
    14 years ago

Jan, nice photos. After seeing all these phots of Nummlariods I just couldn't hold back. . . I ordered it from Gardino's today. Along with H. pachyclada and H. Diversifolia.

Diversifolia wasn't on my list, but it was only $5.00. And hey, when you're dealing with a hoya addict alls it takes is a bargin, next thing ya know it's in your shopping cart.

Hope I have as much success as you all did.

Maid~

• PRO
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Pug & Maid.
    Maid, yes any excuse to get more hoyas.
    Some how the cheaper hoyas just jumped into the cart, I justify by saying it makes sense to buy more hoyas to save on shipping. ; ) hehe

• nat_lia
    14 years ago

Hoya Carnosa Krimson Queen....first time she bloomed for me :)

{{gwi:989991}}

{{gwi:989992}}

• PRO
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Boug, great photos! congrats & welcome. I am surprised your plant flowered because the plant doesn't look too old.
    Good growing!!!
    Jan

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Maid, I have Diversifolia and mine grew fast! I started with two free cuttings(Nov. 08) and now its in a 6" pot. Hoping it will bloom next spring? Please post pics when you get your hoyas. We might have to file a complaint to Gardino's about hoyas jumping in our shopping carts, w/out any provocation lol... congrats!

Bougainvillea, that is a very nice KQ and great job with your first bloom...its very pretty! BTW, I LOVE your cache pot!
    Its absolutely perfect for that plant!

• geosdee
    14 years ago

Jan that is a gorgeous plant. You know, I am going to be in real trouble if all mine get as big as yours.

Dee

• johanna76
    14 years ago

all lovely photos!

• PRO
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Dee, thanks! yes I know. Hoyas do get big at times.
    Here are H heuchkeliana Yellow.
    {{gwi:437582}}

• golden_ca_2000
    14 years ago

Boug, That is a really pretty plant and that pot you have it in definitely compliments the plant! Awesome!

• dmichael619
    14 years ago

this is a hoya that I have been growing for not quite 3 years now. I originally started with 3 two node cuttings of it from 3 different sources,all of which got potted up into the same pot.one died right away. The other 2 just sat for close to a year and a half doing absolutely nothing,I mean not even putting on as much as one new leaf in all that time. Then all of a sudden last February those 2,still single node cuttings began to grow. Well I now have a plant that is probably 200 nodes or more in size and is completely covering a globe shaped topiary that's at least as big and round as a standard sized basketball. It began making peduncles early on but has only recently started to form buds and yesterday the first set of those opened!!! These are the coolest snow white fuzzy flowers that i've seen yet on a hoya

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Very pretty David...what kind of hoya is that? Lovely white blooms!!

• PRO
    Original Author
    14 years ago

David, that's a beauty!! Is it greenii?

• dmichael619
    14 years ago

leave it to me to write 40 paragraphs about a hoya and never mention the name!!!! Sorry!! I had every intention on naming it and thought that I had but now that I have gone back and read what I wrote the first time, I see that I did manage to leave out the name!!! The hoya in question here is H. thomsonii and the fragrance has become one of my favorites. it reminds me of a spring flowering bulb of some sorts but i cant put my finger on which one!!!

• ebocicada
    14 years ago

What a wonderful thomsonii! It is in my wishlist for quite sometime. Congratulations!

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm