Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dmichael619

My Shade House

dmichael619
14 years ago

These are pics of my shade house. We began construction on it back in April ,I think, and got it all built in a single day!! The original structure was 18ft W from side to side and 10 ft deep from front to back. Well when you grow as many hoyas as I do that just IS NOT enough space!!! So about 2 weeks ago I added on. The overall size of the structure is now 18 W side to side and 20ft deep from front to back and it will quite possibly be enlarged again in the early spring of next year.

Comments (22)

• treelover3
    14 years ago

I've just seen what heaven looks like! (:o)

• okie_deb
    14 years ago

Very nice and tidy! I like how you staggered the walkway!
    Awesome looking plants!,,,,Debbie

• maidinmontana
    14 years ago

Yip, I can see another addition in the near future. It sure doesn't take long to fill up a space with these creatures.

Good job on the construction. . .

Where do you live?

Maid~

• moonwolf_gw
    14 years ago

What a nice setup! I would love to have something like this one day! Knowing me, I'd probably put a vine in to grow around the frame. Ooh, honeysuckle and hoyas...my dream come true!!! Excellent job!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• dmichael619
    Original Author
    14 years ago

maid,

I live on the East coast (about 1 mile from the Atlantic) in South Carolina not too far from Myrtle Beach. Actually just about 20 minutes from M.B. and no it doesn't take long at all to fill up a space with hoyas. This spring I moved about 300 hoyas out of the gh,but i'll be putting about 430+/- one or two back in. That's how many new ones I acquired this year alone!!! The gh is in major need of an expansion also!!!.. That's going to be a spring 2010 project though.

Brad I do have a vine growing on one end of it and not a hoya either believe it or not!!! It's a variegated thunbergia aka blue sky vine. It was already growing up a tree when I began work on the SH so it didn't get to climb on it too much this season. Next year it will be allowed to fill in on some spots to keep the sun from shining directly on my hoyas.

Debbie,i'm seriously thinking about flooring the entire surface under the shade house with those stones.Those were taken up from someplace else in the yard and I only had just enough to make that staggered walkway. My only problem with doing the whole area is that there are some wild persimmon trees overhead and they make quite the mess this time of year. Right now I can't even walk out there without slipping and sliding in ripe persimmons!!!

• okie_deb
    14 years ago

The ripe mush tango and the dogs eating the ripe fruits that had fallen is exactly why we took out our persimmon tree this year. Thus far I don't miss it because to replace it we planted a couple red dogwoods. I can't wait to see them in bloom next Spring!
    I will miss checking the fruits seeds to see what was in store for winter weather. Ever heard of that? Even without the tree seeds I predict a cold wet one this year.,,,,Debbie

• maidinmontana
    14 years ago

Michael, Just curious on a few things. . . if I may ask. . . ?

First where do you get all of your hoyas from? I mentioned before there are several in your collection I have never heard of or seen before, not that I have years invested or anything, but still.

Is it you that are/was using the beer fertilizer for plants?

Thanks,
    Maid~

• dmichael619
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Debbie, I do the ripe mush tango everyday until they are done falling,which hopefully will be soon!!!

Maid, yes I do use the beer formula fertilizer on all of my hoyas. I've been using it now for several years with no problems.

As far as where I get my hoyas from,well I get them from a number of places. The majority (about 97%) of them have been purchased from David Liddle. I buy from Ted Green sometimes, I have also bought from the other Hawaiian grower but those days are over. I occasionally buy on Ebay,I have purchased from Apodagis in Thailand. I also purchase hoyas from Epiphytica in Thailand. I get hoyas out of Sweden,both bought and traded. I also have a number of hoya growing friends right here in the states that I often trade with on the occasion that we each have something that the other wants!!

I'm always open to a good trade so if anyone is interested let me know,though it will have to be next year before I can safely ship/receive any more cuttings.

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

David, your shadehouse looks more like a commercial GREENHOUSE NURSERY,lol...Looks big enough to sell to the big box stores! Its very nice and boy how I LOVE all your hoyas in there! Thanks for sharing...

• PRO
    Jan Sword-Rossman Realty 239-470-6061
    14 years ago

David, great set up you got there. Sooooo manyyyy hoyasss.
    I'll be coming up to your place with a clipper one of these days. I told my DH, I want to moved to Thailand collect wild hoyas, sell to my GW friends in US when we retired. He just looked at me like I was out of my mind. hehehe LOL

• bunnygurl
    14 years ago

Jan, please do that! At least that way everyone will know 110% they're getting awesome product for what they pay!

P.S. Could ya ship to Canada too, eh? =P

• patrick51
    14 years ago

David...absolutely gorgeous...love the shade house...looks like a tremendous amount of work. Overall...looks like I imagine Eden to have looked! It's simply breath-takingly beautiful. Patrick

• maidinmontana
    14 years ago

Hey David. . . or anyone who cares to answer. . .

I am thinking of tyring the beer formula, I have vit B 12, but it is 250 mcg. How many will I need to make 500 mg's? I tried to look on a conversion chart, but I'm not smart enough to convert it. It says to multiply x 1000 which makes it 25. Does that mean I need 20 tablets? See I told you I'm not smart enough to figure it out.. . Don't laugh at me. . . :)

I have two exact cuttings, from the same grower I want to do an experiment on.

Thanks to any and all. . .

Maid~

• Denise
    14 years ago

Nice setup, David. What a chore to haul so many big plants in/out - you must have a long growing season in NC! BTW, enjoyed perusing your flower pics in the other post.

Denise in Omaha

• tigerdawn
    14 years ago

So... I'm going to come visit you... :-)

• mdahms1979
    14 years ago

Oh how I long for a growing space like that even if it's just for a few months in the summer. Do you move all of your plants outside for the summer or just the large plants in hanging baskets?

Thanks for sharing your photos.

Mike

• haxuan
    14 years ago

David, gorgeous plants! Thanks for sharing.
    I've noticed that your hoyas grow downward. Did you train them that way?
    Mine always go upward so sometimes the vines hit the roof!

Xuan

• dmichael619
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Mike, I only move the hanging baskets outside. They are out from about mid April til sometimes late November just depending on when the weather decides it want's to suddenly and unexpectedly turn cold on us!!!

I don't move the potted plants because the sides on my gh roll up to about 6ft from the ground allowing for air flow from all directions. The baskets are situated high up in the roof of the gh and aren't exposed to as much airflow so that's why they get moved outside.

Xuan, I haven't really trained any of my hoyas,that's just the way they grow!!! Once the vines get heavy with new leaves they'll continue growing downward. I just sort of let them grow how they want to grow!!! Many of the vines do grow upwards and I allow them to stay that way but I do try to keep my hoyas from vining around one another.

• suetran1
    14 years ago

David, you are not far from I live, 2,3 hour drive. Next time, let me know in Oct. so I can come to clean your persimmon tree, and for the hoya also. lol..
    sue

• dmichael619
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sue,

i'll be glad to ship you some persimmons if you'll pay the postage on them. I'll send as many as I can get in a large flat rate box. They are all still nice and firm so they should not spoil. In fact the main mail hub between us is close enough that if I mailed them one day you should have them on the next day. I have a friend in Kannapolis,NC and she and I can get mail to one another like that. If I were to send her something tomorrow she would get it Friday.

Just let me know and i'll be glad to send you some.Email me privately at (dmichael619@sc.rr.com)and i'll give you my contact info

David

• suetran1
    14 years ago

Hi David
    Your are so kind, thanks you so much. Unfortunately, on Friday, we will go to Atlanta for fun trip, back on Sunday.
    My persimmon tree this year had about 50 fruits, a lot less than last year. I love to pick them from the tree. Thanks again.
    sue

• tigerdawn
    14 years ago

You know, you could have a business shipping hoya cuttings. I'd sure buy them!!

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations