Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cpawl

My Dischidia flower is opening

cpawl
13 years ago

Hi

My dischidia is slowly opening her flowers,one a day.

It has a faint fragrance but I'm able to pin point the what the is smell.Family members say sort of like lemony perfume.

Thanks for looking.

Cindy

Comments (9)

• cpawl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The name of this Dischidia is sp camiguin Island.On a other site it states this one smells like a oncidium orchid.

• Denise
    13 years ago

Pretty! It reminds me of the flowers on my D. oiantha Schltr. that has large flower clusters, though they have no fragrance I can detect. Can you post a photo of the leaves?

Denise in Omaha

• cpawl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Denise
    I have really fallen in love with how this Dischidia grows.
    Close up view of the leaves.

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

I think I am going to add another imbricate growing Dischidia to my collection, maybe once I find out how those bubble envelope cuttings held up. I really like the look of your plant.

I have Dischidia imbricata but it is looking kinda sad because it got attacked by thrips which took me a little while to deal with. Your plant looks vigorous and fairly large, just how big are those leaves?

Mike

• cpawl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Heres a photo to show the size of the leaves.Most are this size but there are a few that are a bit smaller. I checked last night if the fragrance would be stronger but none was detected.This morning it was fairly strong.

I find this plant easy to grow.I have it planted in my coir mix.I have given it a piece of wood to cling to.

Cindy

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Very cute flowers Cindy...I only have one Dischidia and its the watermelon(ovata)? but it hasn't bloomed yet.

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

I too feel inspired to a new love for Dischidia by this plant of yours. Which is lucky, since I just moved to a place with a lot of Northern windows and, since all the East and West window spots have been spoken for, shade lovers might be all that is in my future!

• Denise
    13 years ago

Oh, that is a beauty! I grow one imbricate Dischidia and it took about 4 times to get it rooted. It's much different - leaves are a bit gnarly/rough, not smooth like yours. I've tried one like or similar to yours but couldn't get it to root. Where did you get yours? Was it already a rooted plant, or did you root it as a cutting?

Denise in Omaha

• cpawl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi
    This Dischidia followed me home from Bangkok this spring It was a small rooted plant .I have rooted cuttings in hydro balls and I have given cuttings away to a friend and they also were able to root this one the same way.This Dischida comes from the Philippians so I never really let it get to dry before watering.It grew a lot for me this summer.It sort of looked stingy with out a lot leaves but it grew a lot of leaves around the top of the pot.It now looks nice.

Cindy

Sponsored