Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dmichael619

Hoya aff. mindorensis

dmichael619
13 years ago

I purchased this hoya last year as H. aff mindorensis from Antone at dischidia.com. I was attracted to it because of many pictures that I had seen of his plant blooming a rainbow of colors from the same plant. My plant has been in bloom for several months now and the first sets were peachy pink ,more pink less peach!!! Today it is blooming again and I have shared some pics of what it looks like now blooming from the exact same peduncle as the previous flowers.

This is what the flowers have looked like all spring/summer long. This is an old photo from last month.

Now this is what they look like today!!!

Comments (32)

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

Wow, so fun and beautiful! It's hard to believe such a spectacular variety of bloom would still have a few more tricks up its sleeve. Thanks for the comparison photos!

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

Love the yellow blooms David. I ordered my plant because of the photos I had seen of yellow flowers. I wonder if the heat and sun of summer are what make the blooms more yellow?

Mike

• dmichael619
    Original Author
    13 years ago

This is a very good link for comparison of the blooms from this particular hoya. I'm not 100% sure this is where Antone got the plant from but it appears to be the same. I know that i got my sp. flatstem (platycaulis) from Antone as well and this guy at Pinoy claims that if you have a plant of platycaulis,it can all be traced back to him.

Mike I guess it could be the heat/sun that has caused it to change but i've not seen one change to this extreme before even though I know that heat and growing conditions can and often do influence flower color. Nothing has changed with this plant except the fact that it has been moved back into the gh for winter now.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.pinoyplants.com/asclepiads.php

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Yes Carolyn, I agree with you...its going on the list,lol..
    Just gorgeous David...The colors are so vibrant. Reminds me a little of Easter egg colors...so pretty!

• PRO
    Jan Sword-Rossman Realty 239-470-6061
    13 years ago

David, I got same one from Antone. I love this hoya for sure, mine is still small so only had a few flowers.

Jan

• hills
    13 years ago

I'm sure this has been asked before, but is aff. mindorensis different to mindorensis yellow? Lovely plant yours... I just hope mine might flower one day!

• dmichael619
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hills I have successfully managed to kill three plants of yellow mindorensis thus far without seeing any of them bloom!!! Two came from David Lidlde and one came from a vendor in Thailand. I have a 4th start of it now that was recently acquired from a very generous forum member here. So I can't say if any of the yellow clones that I HAD would have consistently bloomed yellow or not. According to what I was told of this particular clone of aff. minodrensis it can bloom peduncles with different colored flowers all on the same plant. I am very anxious to see mine with more than a single cluster open at one time so I can actually see for myself!!!

David

• rennfl
    13 years ago

Oh wow! That is wonderful.

• janisoga
    13 years ago

Is it common for blooms to last that long? I do not have this variety, but on my pubicalyix and obvata they only last a week or two. Do different varities last different times?

• Klnco
    7 years ago

If anyone knows where to get cuttings or has a plant they would be willing to sell me cuttings from I would greatly appreciate it. Mindorensis has been on my list for a while! Thank you

• aurorawa
    7 years ago

I have like 5 varieties, lol!

• Klnco
    7 years ago

Oh really? Awesome! What do you have? Might have to order one of each and do a community mindorensis pot!

• Klnco
    7 years ago

Just looked at your list of plants you have. Just curious, what is hoya EPC 157 pubicalyx? And are you "agardentoremember' on eBay aurorawa? Cause if so, I MUST have that RHP/157 hybrid!

• aurorawa
    7 years ago

Yes I am agardentoremember! And I can do a private sale of a mindorensis community pot for you, if you want. That way, no one on ebay outbids you! Contact me @:

john_huck@live.com

• aurorawa
    7 years ago

Hoya pubicalyx EPC 157 is hoya pubicalyx splash leaves.

• Kim
    7 years ago

Oooh, a community mindorensis pot sounds amazing!

• Klnco
    7 years ago

Doesn't it, Kim?! I've been eyeing this hoya for a while. I think it's gonna look great! Do you or anyone else on here have mindorensis currently? What has been your experience with this hoya?

• Kim
    7 years ago

I know a lot of people here grow mindorensis, I myself have not. They get pretty big (and heavy ) and like a lot of sun as I understand, and my space is forever shrinking from new plants. Sure I could be easily convinced to try growing it all the same though. ;)

• Klnco
    7 years ago

Well here's to hoping I can grow this beautiful hoya! May the hoya Gods be with me! :P

• Kim
    7 years ago

Hoya peace be upon you! ;-)

I feel the same way, I have a few (with two more on the way), that I am perpetually fretting about. My H. darwinii is the worst, every day I am suprised I have not killed it yet. But, my little cutting has new growth on it. The Hoya gods must be pleased.

• Monica bf N. Carolina zone 7B
    7 years ago

I have mindorensis (pink flower) it's fairly new for me but is doing well. I have it in my bathroom in a north window and with the skylights it gets dappled direct eastern sun light. I bought this one on eBay.

• Klnco
    7 years ago

Well I'm aurorawa is going to root my little babies for me (thanks again!) And so when they come to me they'll have a better chance at survival. My only concern is humidity, I'm hearing that they appreciate a lot of it.

• aurorawa
    7 years ago

Like I said, I am growing mine in no special conditions, and they are thriving!

• aurorawa
    7 years ago

By the way...that is a community pot.

• marco
    7 years ago

I was just going to ask you if that was a community pot, lol ! I personally am a big fan of them and have one of Carnosa's and one with Pub's.

Marco

• Klnco
    7 years ago

Omg it's beautiful! Can't wait!! Mindorensis is a great hoya for community pots, especially with all the color variations. Mine will have pink, pink orange, purple, and red :)

• Kim
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I look forwars ro seeing pictures of community pot mindo's in bloom!

I have resisted the urge to make similar pots myself for a minute, but the allure doubled with space constraints makes it to hard to resist any longer. Planning one for bella, white, black, and pink dragon, heuschkeliana, and maybe khoniana. Diversifolia and diversifolia aff crassipes are probably going to grow together too. Half tempted to stick my variagated kerrii in with my solid one, and lacunosa poonsak in with snocaps.

And if I keep reading this mindorensis post, may be in trouble.

Do you guys tag your plants in the community pots to keep track? Bird leg bands come to mind as a possible color coding option.

• aurorawa
    7 years ago

Yes, mine are tagged! The challenge is the untangling of vines to make sure you are clipping the right one!

• Kim
    7 years ago

Hahahaha, I bet. Do you think I could get away with putting my two kerrii together? Someone on another site cautioned against this for fear of the variagated one reverting. My variagated baby is the type with yellow on the leaf edges, I thought this one was relatively stable?

• Klnco
    7 years ago

Yep, my pubicalyx community pots are tagged. I'd forget within the day which ones were which if I took them off :p

• Klnco
    7 years ago

How is your Mindorensis community pot doing, aurorawa?

Sponsored
Franklin County's Preferred Architectural Firm | Best of Houzz Winner
More Discussions