Return to the Hoya Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Look At What I Got Today!

Posted by moonwolf Z6 Central PA (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 16, 10 at 16:35

Hi everyone,

Well, the plant bug bit me again but again it's not a hoya that I got. My weekend neighbor (from MD) came back from town today and look at what she bought me.

Leaves:
Photobucket

Plant:
Photobucket

Kelly, does this plant look familiar?

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Look At What I Got Today!

It's HUGE! What a nice neighbor! I know you'll love this plant!
Kelly

o

Thanks, Kelly!

She is a very nice lady. The plant is rather big and the little trellis it's on I couldn't get off so I'll have to wait until I prune it to remove it. So I take it I've got the real deal? That is, it looks like your sweet autumn clematis?

Brad AKA Moonwolf

o

It sure does look like mine, Brad!

For the past couple of years mine has been a magnetic for Praying Mantis cocoons! Although....somehow I keep missing the babies...

Kelly

o

I also posted about it over at the Clematis forum and we've been trying to confirm if it is actually SAC. There's a native species (C. virginiana) that looks like SAC but it's leaves are toothed (like some of mine are) and serrated whereas SAC's leaves are smooth and rounded. Virginiana's flowers aren't fragrant either, but that won't help me because some people who bought a SAC have found no fragrance! A few people said it took a couple years for the fragrance to kick in.

It's a host plant to praying mantises? That's cool! Does your plant get chewed up by the parents or hatchlings?

BTW, here's a picture I took yesterday after I planted it the day I got it.
Sweet Autumn Clematis Planted 10/16/10

Brad AKA Moonwolf

o

Is there any chances for this hoyas survive????
Anybody could help me how to place the picture directy.
I've trying but always request name of the link and whatever I put is rejected. I'm loading from the pohobucket....

thank you

Here is a link that might be useful: orkut.com

o

Congratulations, Brad! It's fun to hear identification comments about a different set of plants. I hope you do end up with a nice fragrance in the end.

Mitzicos: In future, please start a new thread when posting an unrelated question. You do this by scrolling to the bottom of the main page and using the posting form you find there.

Regarding using photobucket to post photos, what you need to do is navigate to the picture you want to post. Move your cursor over the picture. A panel of instructions will appear with code for sharing the picture. Select "HTML code", copy it, and paste it in your post here. You do not need to use the URL section at the bottom of the post panel, you can just paste the html in the "message" section.

o

No one????

o

There is a slight chance those cuttings will survive but it is more common for leafless cuttings to slowly die.
When you order from overseas make sure to soak the cuttings and then put them some place very humid. If you use the regular mail there is little chance of getting cuttings that will still be healthy. Also cuttings seem to do better than rooted plants, often the bare roots die and then they rot when you pot them.

Mike

o

Brad,
If I get home in time I'll take a closeup of the leaves so you can compare them.

Mine was also host to loads of ladybugs this past spring. Part of the reason for the Praying Mantis and ladybugs is it attracts aphids. The aphids really don't end up doing too much damage though since the good bugs come around quickly to pray on them! The perennial milkweed is the same way!

Kelly

o

GG, thanks! The scent of it is supposed to be fantastic!

Kelly, if you don't get home in time for a picture, don't worry! I'm pretty positive I have a SAC. Ah, so it draws the aphids too! I got milkweed seeds not too long ago from a GW member, so I'm excited to see if they'll come up next year (I'm going to winter sow some seeds).

Brad AKA Moonwolf

o

Here's mine! Some of the leaves are more serrated than others.

IMG_2542

o

Thanks for the picture, Kelly! Your plant's leaves and my plant's leaves sure do look alike and our plants sound like they could be twins lol! As you can see in my picture some of the leaves are more "toothy" and serrated than the others. Sweet autumn clematis it is then! Thank you again, Kelly!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

o

Brad, When we first moved in I planted this clematis and several others against our deck. The other clematis took a few years before they actually established themselves and bloomed, all stayed quite small, possibly because it was a northeast exposure with very little sun. This clematis, however, became established VERY quickly and was soon a total brute covering about 15 feet of the railing! It's scent was very faint but that might have had to do with getting only a small amount of sun. I loved that plant but unfortunately when we had to redo the deck it was so big it had to be removed. It wasn't happy anywhere else I tried it so I end up losing it. It's a great plant. I must remember to replace it!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hoya Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here