Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
puglvr1

Warm Loving Hoyas...

puglvr1
12 years ago

I thought it would be great if we put together a list of hoyas that doesn't do well with temperatures below 60 degrees. I know there's a list on a couple of websites on temperatures, but many are missing from the list. Plus there's nothing like personal experience, always so much more helpful to hear from other members.

For me I've found 3 so far...I'm guessing a lot of Hoyas that are originally collected from the Philippines prefers temps above 60 degrees, Pubicalyx being the exception.

1. Patella

2. Darwinii

3. Mitrata

If anyone else has had experience of other Hoyas that "hate" or doesn't do well with temps below 60 degrees...please post the names here. It would be great to have a list so we can learn and hopefully keep our hoyas a little happier, we might even save them from declining this winter.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (9)

• cpawl
    12 years ago

For me waymaniae dose not like cool humid weather.This spring I killed a big waymaniea and a rooted cutting by putting outside to early.Good thing a had a second one that I had left inside.

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

I tend to aim for all my Hoyas to be kept from temperatures much below 65F unless I know they are cool growers. The cool growers should still probably be kept above 50F but a select few can survive near freezing temperatures. Still it's always better to be cautious and the list of warm growers will be larger than the cool growers so it may be easier to look at this problem from that angle.

Mike

• mairzy_dotes
    12 years ago

I always bring in the latifolias, lobbii, and subclava early. Most of the rest I try to leave out in the good light as long as possible & usually don't bring them in until it starts going down to 55 at night. It still shoots right back up to summer as soon as the sun gets up there good. So I am still working on bring them in slowly. I feel like I'm being mean if I bring them in too early. LOL

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the input Cindy, Mike and Marcy.

I guess I can ask it another way also...especially for the people that live up North and grow a lot of hoyas/tropicals. What's the lowest temperature you've kept your thermostat set where you show little to no issues growing your Hoyas?

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

The important thing is that day time temperatures rise up again to at least 75F plus, if you do this the you can set you night temperature to 60F without any problem. I don't like it too cold so I would personally not go lower but the plants may be ok with a slightly lower temp.

GG has done a lot of work with her plants because some were prone to issues in the winter, hopefully she will see this.

Mike

• bama_gardener
    12 years ago

Oh no, I think I'm in trouble! My greenhouse temps drop down to the 40's when it gets really cold outside, so it sounds like that might be too low for them. Will those temps kill the hoya or just slow the growth? Looks like I have to move them inside.
    Bev

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Mike! For the most part, during our winter the day time temps usually rise to the upper 60's to 70's, almost always sunny days, with a few exceptions of course, even in FL we do get frost/freeze a few days a year,lol...

Bama, I've left a few of my Hoyas outside when the temps were in the low 40's w/out any damage but these are the cold hardy varieties, like Pubicalyx, Carnosa, Kerrii and Australis. Most of my hoyas can't handle it that cold in the winter, I bring them inside the house or the garage if it gets below 50 and I have a few I bring inside when the temps go below 60. And almost always the days warm up with the sun to help dry out the plants. Cold and wet soil causes a lot of issues, which can lead to yellowing leaves or root rot. You might have to bring the colder sensitive Hoyas inside for the winter...Good luck!

• bama_gardener
    12 years ago

pug, thanks for the quick response. I will bring in the DS-70 and the dischidia next week since the temps are supposed to drop....again. In the greenhouse, temps can come close to 100 during the day so my plants dry out pretty quickly.
    Bev

• rennfl
    12 years ago

It's also important to note different clones of the same species seem to behave differently sometimes.

Two of my publicalyx take the cold just fine, but my plain green leaves absolutely does not like cold at all.

My DS-70 is still outside, and we've had quite a few nights in the 40s, and it is still happily blooming. I'll wait until the nights get into the low 40s before I bring it in.

Do want to mention though that we do warm up quite a bit during the day, into the 70s and 80s still.

I am one that pushes my plants into extremes, both cold and high light. I figure as long as they continue to grow and bloom well, then it's fine.

Renee