Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mykel02_gw

Is this a forum?

Mykel02
10 years ago

I took some cuttings from my aunt's hoya, she is not sure what it is but to me it does look like a hoya... what do you guys think? And if you can identify what kind of hoya it is that would be much appreciated... :-)

PS: the title is wrong, don't know why I put forum, was suppose to be hoya haha... can't edit the title so sorry...

This post was edited by Mykel02 on Fri, Oct 4, 13 at 17:18

Comments (23)

• Mykel02
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's another picture of the plant...

• Jimmy
    10 years ago

Hi...its Hoya carnosa...It first I thought the title was suggesting where did all the hoya addicts go too on this forum! lol pic for ref.

• Denise
    10 years ago

Yep, definitely H. carnosa. Common but beautiful!

Denise in Omaha

• Mykel02
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Denise and Vine_master for replying... I dont know why I put forum instead of hoya haha, but it does sound like im asking where are you guys... Anyways it does look like an h. Carnosa... but don't then have another name attacbed to them for example h. Carnosa "krimson queen" or something? Is that based on what the flowers will look like or can you also tell by the leaves?

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Its the leaves...there is Krimson princess, Krimson Queen and also 'moteskei' but the leaves are all slightly different. You can google them to see the differences...but they are all Carnosas.

Nice plant and usually a reliable bloomer with beautiful large pink flowers.

Vinemaster, that's a very healthy and pretty Carnosa you have...

• Mykel02
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Puglvr1... ill search the carnosa varieties you posted... I also have another carnosa which Denise identified for me... it has varigated leaves and is named H. Carnosa "krimson princess" so I know that the one I posted here is definetely not that hehe...

Vine_master... your carnosa looks very healthy :-)

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

I have Carnosa 'moteskei' and some of the leaves have spots/flecks on them. Its a pretty hoya but the flowers are the same as any of the Carnosa family...

This one was taken a few years back...you might be able to see the spots on the leaves...

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Here's a better picture of some of the leaves on my 'moteskei'...even on mine I have a lot of leaves that don't have any spots on them...I think most regular Carnosa have some leaves with the silver spots on them also.

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

My Carnosa 'krimson queen' the edge of the leaves are cream or off white. Mine get too much sun and most of leaves are washed out due to where the plant is hanging outside, but because of the high light it does bloom off and on all year.

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Gosh Pug, that is just SO beautiful, great lookin' ball cluster! Almost doesn't look real.

• Mykel02
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Pug your hoyas are so beautiful... my Krimson Princess also have the white edges, although the other hoya I have is solid green that's why I'm stumped on what it is...

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Thanks PG!! Appreciate it...

Mykel02, I think your Hoya carnosa with the white edges is 'krimson queen' not 'krimson princess?

Here's my old krimson princess (which I no longer have) had a hard freeze one winter a few years ago, I left it outside accidentally :o(

If you look at the leaves 'krimson princess' inside of the leaves are white while the edges are green...Hope this helps.

• teisa
    10 years ago

Wow! I'm in awe at all the beautiful Carnosa's. Vine master, Pug, Mykel, thanks for sharing. They all look soo healthy! It is common but a beautiful plant! I have 3 myself :)

• Mykel02
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Pug your'e right it is a Krimson Queen haha... not Krimson princess...
    But both of them are beautiful... :-)

Here is the Krimson Queen I am rooting...

• Denise
    10 years ago

Hey Mykel,

I went back and found my e-mail to you about your variegated carnosa and I did say it was 'Krimson Queen', not 'Princess'. I wanted to make sure because I always used to mix up the two and was pretty sure I'd gotten to the point where I knew which was which!

'KQ' is definitely the better of the two cultivars. 'KP' tends to revert back to all green, for one thing. And I'm not sure 'KP' ever gets the all white vines like 'KQ' does. I've always liked them both, though!

Denise in Omaha

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Thanks Teisa!

Denise is right about most of the KP reverting back...before mine "froze" to death...it had completely reverted back :o(

I too get them mixed up...I can tell them apart visually as long as its right in front of me but I can never remember which one has the white edges if I'm not looking at it,lol...I knew Denise would know the true names and differences between the two...you've been growing hoyas a LOT longer than most everyone here :o)

Good luck rooting your hoyas Mykel...

• Mykel02
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Denise, same here il getting those two confused hehe... Pug, thanks for the encouragement hehe...

• greentoe357
    10 years ago

This seems a perfect time and place to ask...

Is the one on the right H. carnosa "Krimson Queen" and the one on the left H. carnosa "Krimson Princess"?

I bought the former 2 years ago as simply "Hoya carnosa" and the latter 4 months ago as "Hoya rubra". Both these IDs seem wrong or at least incomplete.

Neither has ever bloomed. Actually, they just recently started growing, once I got them out of peat pudding and under lights.

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Hi Greentoe...Yes the one on the left is KP and the one on the right is KQ...Nice hoyas!!

Keep an eye on the your krimson princess I see you already have some mostly green leaves on the vine. Those can take over quickly and soon you might have an all green carnosa. You can always cut them off and root them if you want to keep the KP variegated leaves :o) your call...

• greentoe357
    10 years ago

Thanks for the ID, puglvr.

> Keep an eye on the your krimson princess I see you already have some mostly green leaves on the vine. Those can take over quickly and soon you might have an all green carnosa.

Those green leaves at the bottom of the picture are older ones. The new ones are all variegated. How does this work, by the way - does this variegated hoya have some sort of predisposition to revert to all green? Why? How to avoid it?

> You can always cut them off and root them if you want to keep the KP variegated leaves

Would cutting green leaves encourage it to grow more variegated ones in the future?

I understand rooted hoya leaves relatively rarely produce vibrant plants - stem cuttings work much better.

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

If I may: Rooted Hoya leaves rarely if ever produce an actual PLANT (vibrant or otherwise); usually they just continue to grow roots but 99.9% of the time never grow the rest of the plant.

Variegates often revert to all green (it is said) because they're less stable & the plant seems genetically programmed to revert to the stronger, more stable growth.

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

PG is right...a leaf won't root and turn into a plant. When I said you can root the all green leaves I should have been a little more specific I meant when you cut them off (the all green leaves) I meant take a small cutting with a stem, something with at least 2 or 4 nodes would be best...not just a leaf,lol... Sorry I wasn't more specific.

Thanks PG for clarifying :o)

• Denise
    10 years ago

GreenToe,

I'm not sure why 'KP' reverts back but 'KQ' doesn't. I think it might be because 'KQ' has more green than white, giving it more opportunity to "photosynthesize". I don't know - it's my layman's attempt at an explanation!

I cut off all green growth once it grows out a bit. I have given away and sold tons of rooted cuttings of 'KP' all green growth. It makes a particularly nice clone of carnosa. I've got one I've grown for years in semi-hydro that's very happy, blooms (unlike my regular carnosa in soil.)

Denise in Omaha

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21