Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loulou_gardener

Repotting my Hoya

loulou_gardener
14 years ago

I repotted my precious hoya plant today for the first time ever. I have had it for 25 years and some vines are over 20 feet long. I have never taken any special care of it besides 'benign neglect'. I am wondering what I should look out for in case it goes into shock, etc. I have always had the long vines grow on hooks I fasten to the wall above the window...I have had lovely flowers...about 6 flowers twice yearly. I hope repotting was a good idea. Also, can you tell me if it would be a good idea to trim back some of the vines. They range from 3 feet to over 20 feet long. Shall I wait to trim until the repotting is stable, etc. Thank you for any advice.

Comments (7)

• Denise
    14 years ago

Hey LouLou... I'm sure your Hoya will benefit from a repotting after all these years, but don't be surprised if it does go into a little rest to recouperate from the ordeal. Anytime I repot a large and old plant, I do take some cuttings to ensure the plant goes on, just in case it doesn't react well to being repotted. I would just take like 2' cuttings from a few vines. If you go back much further (i.e., take a 20' vine and take several 2' cuttings), the older, woody parts are harder to root. In addition to having a backup plant you make from the cuttings, by pruning, it will stimulate new growth when the mama plant gets settled into its new pot.

I'm betting that's quite a spectacular plant you have there. I have a neighbor, whose house I was in a few years ago, and she had a big old one that she did the same thing with - long vines hooked to the wall. Do you have a photo you could share?

Denise in Omaha

• jlt37869
    14 years ago

I'm so happy to see this post! I thought I was the only one to 'nail' my hoya to the wall/window trim (outside in the summer and inside in the winter). The plant belonged to my grandmother, then my mother, now me and is over 35 years old. The last time it was repotted was in the fall of 2005 and it dropped about 30 leaves or so, went dormant, and just didn't seem happy (I thought it was a goner), but I just left it alone and it bounced right back the next spring. I only recently started cutting it back with the goal of having a more manageable plant and also propagating a back up. Well, I do have my back up plant now, but the goal of having a more manageable parent plant totally backfired because just as Denise stated pruning it triggers A LOT of new growth. If you're wanting new growth, then go for it, but be prepared for it and get your hooks ready. :)

I would also love to see a photo of your plant.

Mine is linked below.

Jennifer

Here is a link that might be useful: Hoya Photos

• PRO
    Jan Sword-Rossman Realty 239-470-6061
    14 years ago

Jennifer, that is a biggest hoya carnosa i ever saw. HUge!!!

• cpawl
    14 years ago

That must be a lot of work to move in and out.My mom also uses nails,tape what ever is handy to keep it growing up her walls but it stays in side year round.I would guess its about the same size and it blooms all year on and off.

cindy

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Hi Jennifer, that is one AMAZING hoya!! Thanks for sharing your pictures with us...I can only imagine the work involved bringing it in and out, but I'm sure its worth it.

• moonwolf_gw
    14 years ago

Hi Jennifer,

Wow! Is that the carnosa you took the baby plants and cuttings you're sending me from? That's the largest hoya I ever saw. You must be proud to have a plant that's a family heirloom!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• tigerdawn
    14 years ago

That is amazing! It looks like those old pictures of women with long hair. Just beautiful.

Sponsored